Mizuno JPX EZ Iron Preview Thread

Great looking irons! I will be interested to see how these work for you.

Love the finish and badging on these they look awesome. I'm not a big fan of them being head heavy at all it will be interesting to hear your thoughts about that down the line.

These are some nice looking irons. Can't wait to demo them.

The one thing I'll really be looking forward to in this review is managing the height of my shots. I can already tell that high and long shots are going to be the easy part...but flighting the ball down especially in this fall breeze in the Midwest will be something that I will definitely need to be able to do.

I'll be paying close attention to that tomorrow for sure.

The one thing I'll really be looking forward to in this review is managing the height of my shots. I can already tell that high and long shots are going to be the easy part...but flighting the ball down especially in this fall breeze in the Midwest will be something that I will definitely need to be able to do.

I'll be paying close attention to that tomorrow for sure.

I like it, its windy in my neck of the woods this time of year as well. Flighting is a big deal.

Wind is in full effect now. I saw quite a bit if movement in full shots today. Seems like we get two/three months of calm conditions at most. Blah.

Love the finish and badging on these they look awesome. I'm not a big fan of them being head heavy at all it will be interesting to hear your thoughts about that down the line.

You would want the forged ones anyway and they are not nearly as, well, chunky, as the cast clubs. I doubt the offset would do you good either. Until I saw them sire by side I didn't notice how really different the two are.

mizuno-new-jpx_640.jpg

Last edited:
These do look interesting, but alas no left handed offerings...

These are definitely on my short list. Of course, as all the new lines come out, the gears start turning. Unlike last year, I will (probably) pull the trigger this year. This review will be very influential.

I took a few swings with this one. It was nice enough - what I called the Halloween color didn't bother me at all, the main color (bronze?) was a lot more prominent than the orange. But it is beefy. I think I had the 6i in hand and that bit above the back of the sole was just visible while standing over the ball and create an overall impression of heft that was borderline off-putting.

Last edited:
I grabbed some pics out in the daylight to hopefully give you a better idea of how that finish looks. 36 holes tomorrow so it'll be a great day of testing, I'll get tons of pics and feedback.

I've messed around with them a lot and I am quite excited to get out and hit them, they really give me an impression that these babies are going to be long. I'm pretty anxious to see for myself tomorrow. Stay tuned!
To me, they look very Pingish. Nothing wrong with that, its just different from the chrome finish that Mizuno usually has.

I just started gaming 825s so I'm curious I'd there is a huge differenxe

I don't often find myself being too critical but these are not appealing to me. I know that will get the ball up quick and offer some serious forgiveness but I'm not a fan. With all the technology and research available, clubs should be smoking hot to the eye.

You would want the forged ones anyway and they are not nearly as, well, chunky, as the cast clubs. I doubt the offset would do you good either. Until I saw them sire by side I didn't notice how really different the two are.

mizuno-new-jpx_640.jpg
Oh wow, huge difference.

As I previously mentioned I had an opportunity to get out for 36 holes on Sunday it was some great testing for the JPX EZ irons. We started early and it was cool, temp at abour 45 degrees when we first started, the day would turn quite nice with temps in the low to mid 60s but as the day wore on the wind picked up to around 15-25 mph at times. I really feel like I got a great chance to test these irons in various conditions throughout the day.

Unfortunately the driving range at the course I played is closed for the season (what??) so my first time hitting the irons was literally on my approach shot on the first hole. This wasn't ideal, but I figured that over the course of 36 holes on the day I'd manage just fine. It was definitely a little different setting up to the ball with these irons, the size and the offset differences compared to the Callaway X-Forged irons I had been playing made for a bit of adjustment. Right away I was under-clubbing, thinking the distance gains I would see would be more dramatic than they turned out to be, for example on hole 1 I had 160 in from the middle of the fairway, I pulled a 9 iron and wound up short. I think the cooler temps sort of offset some of the distance gains right away but over all on the day I would find that on average I was a full club longer with the JPX EZ compared to the previous irons I was playing.

A few of things I was really looking for in this testing were #1, how would the EZ feel? I mean afterall, they still have the name Mizuno stamped on them, so you would expect a great feeling iron. #2, as I mentioned previously I wanted to see how easy it would be to keep the trajectory down, especially as the winds picked up in the afternoon round. And finally I wanted see just how forgiving these babies were. I've played a forged players iron for most of my golfing life aside from some testing here and there on various GI irons so I'll admit to being a little excited to get some forgiveness back in my hands again.

Now I'm not going to give up too much info before the homepage review goes up but I'll say that I was hoping for a bit more feedback, now I realize I'm not comparing apples to apples so I won't hold this against Mizuno here. But what I mean was a few different times I hit a shot, it felt like I hit it decent, but I just couldn't tell how well. My playing partner mentioned a couple times as I'm watching the ball in the air..."did you get enough, gotta go" but my answer was...I don't know, I think so? That happened a few times, one of the times I came up woefully short, like 20 yards short and a few other times it happened the distance was perfect. So it was just kind of hard to know exactly whether or not I should be yelling for the ball to get up, get down, bite, go... I'm sure that's nothing unexpected coming from a set of irons where feedback is always there for you.

While I'm on the subject though the forgiveness is stellar, there were several times where I knew I didn't hit the shot great and the results were still very serviceable. In fact my closest approach shot on the day came when I knew I missed the shot, the ball came out much lower yet still wound up 8 feet from the pin. That's just cheating!! Haha. I mentioned to my playing partner that the EZ's were bailing me out quite a bit and he had no idea that I hadn't been having a great striking day at all. So the forgiveness is definitely nice, I think on the day it saved me quite a few times. I wound up having a pretty good day scoring wise and I don't think I would have been able to shoot quite as good scores if I didn't have some help from my irons.

I knew before I hit these that they'd go high and far...and they definitely do. But I need to be able to control the flight on my shots, I don't typically work the ball left or right but almost every iron shot I'm doing something with the trajectory. I did have a few shots that I had no issues with flighting the ball down into the wind, but overall I did kind of struggle with that yesterday. Particularly with shots with the gap wedge. I rarely if ever take full shots with wedges and I just struggled with that gap wedge, whenever I wanted to keep it low and flight one in there I caught the shot fat, took a huge divot and wound up well short of my target. A lot of that was the uncertainty of the distance I'd hit that club and just not fully executing the shot so there is more work needed but it defintiely didn't come easy. Another shot near the end of the round was a par 3 playing 180 right into the wind which was blowing a good 20 mph at this point. I pulled a 4 iron and knew I would have to hit it solid and keep it low. I hit probably one of my more solid iron shots on the day...the shot started low enough but wound up climbing pretty high and I thought I was toast because it's a carry over an old rock quarry almost the entire way....I made the green, actually about 10 yards past pin high so the shot worked out so I can't complain but it definitely had me worried when that ball started climbing.

Overall I think I had a good first day with the JPX EZ in the bag. I shot a personal best at this course the first time around and while the 2nd trip wasn't quite as good score wise I hit some pretty good shots. I want to get more experience with the irons and that XP105 shaft particularly because I was more focused on feel and forgiveness of the iron head that I didn't take many exclusive notes on the shafts themselves. I will say that I like the weighting of the irons/shaft combo a lot, I felt like I was getting a good fast swing on the ball and results were positive just about every time. I saw a few VERY high/ballooning shots on the day, but nothing that would make me freak out just yet being it was my first day with the setup. Stay tuned for that in the next write up.

Here are a couple of pics from the on course action.

These are of the 7 iron. I didn't have a chance to get as many pics as I wanted due to having others in our group. I'll get more for sure.

Safe to say I had about 162 to the center....this shot was into the wind and downhill. I hit a smooth/stock 7 iron and wound up on the green about 25 feet short of the hole.

Nice writeup, well done.

really good thoughts Jake. I hear Mizuno and I think about feedback and it sounds like these may be lacking in that department. However the long, high, and straight part is without a doubt appealing. I'm interested in hearing about how the finish holds up after some rounds.

I need to hit these dude. Holy just what I need.

Good write up. Congrats in the personal best with these on the first round of play. Definitely says something about them. Keeo the reviews coming

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

really good thoughts Jake. I hear Mizuno and I think about feedback and it sounds like these may be lacking in that department. However the long, high, and straight part is without a doubt appealing. I'm interested in hearing about how the finish holds up after some rounds.
I get the impression that this finish will last quite a while. It seems to be a little different than say a black oxide wedge or the finish even on the Burner 2.0 irons. I'll definitely get pics as I progress in my testing.

I need to hit these dude. Holy just what I need.
Yes you do my friend. I think you'd like these a lot. If only we lived in the same town....

I get the impression that this finish will last quite a while. It seems to be a little different than say a black oxide wedge or the finish even on the Burner 2.0 irons. I'll definitely get pics as I progress in my testing.

Yes you do my friend. I think you'd like these a lot. If only we lived in the same town....

I'm willing to make the trek. Any openings this weekend? I need to check tonight.

I really like the look of the finish in those photos. Nice pics Jake!

Tough time of the year up in this part of the country, but you're right that a given day can have all sorts of different conditions to work with. Just wish it didn't have to be windy when it's warm. For you to hit that shot with the 4 iron is pretty telling of what they are packing in the distance department. Sounds like the ball wanted to balloon a little on you, but that's still a very solid poke in that kind of wind.

Nice thoughts Jake!

These sound like an iron I could get along with alright. Interesting thoughts about the feedback. Almost sounds as if the trade off is feedback for forgiveness.

I wonder on those shots where you weren't sure if it was just off the sweet spot? Hit any woefully off the toe where you could immediately know where the miss was?

I like forgiveness and these appear to offer it nicely.

Nice thoughts Jake!

These sound like an iron I could get along with alright. Interesting thoughts about the feedback. Almost sounds as if the trade off is feedback for forgiveness.

I wonder on those shots where you weren't sure if it was just off the sweet spot? Hit any woefully off the toe where you could immediately know where the miss was?

I like forgiveness and these appear to offer it nicely.
The ones I wasn't 100% sure if I hit well were still for the most part were spot the sweet spot but maybe just a slight miss. Something that would punish you a good 15 yards or more with my X Forged yet they still covered the distance and a couple times wound up very good with the EZ.

I did catch a couple pretty bad, but those were mainly ones I hit fat so I'd have a huge divot, ball mark way high on the face and the ball a good 20 yards or more short. I hate hitting shots fat!!

As I previously mentioned I had an opportunity to get out for 36 holes on Sunday it was some great testing for the JPX EZ irons. We started early and it was cool, temp at abour 45 degrees when we first started, the day would turn quite nice with temps in the low to mid 60s but as the day wore on the wind picked up to around 15-25 mph at times. I really feel like I got a great chance to test these irons in various conditions throughout the day.

Unfortunately the driving range at the course I played is closed for the season (what??) so my first time hitting the irons was literally on my approach shot on the first hole. This wasn't ideal, but I figured that over the course of 36 holes on the day I'd manage just fine. It was definitely a little different setting up to the ball with these irons, the size and the offset differences compared to the Callaway X-Forged irons I had been playing made for a bit of adjustment. Right away I was under-clubbing, thinking the distance gains I would see would be more dramatic than they turned out to be, for example on hole 1 I had 160 in from the middle of the fairway, I pulled a 9 iron and wound up short. I think the cooler temps sort of offset some of the distance gains right away but over all on the day I would find that on average I was a full club longer with the JPX EZ compared to the previous irons I was playing.

A few of things I was really looking for in this testing were #1, how would the EZ feel? I mean afterall, they still have the name Mizuno stamped on them, so you would expect a great feeling iron. #2, as I mentioned previously I wanted to see how easy it would be to keep the trajectory down, especially as the winds picked up in the afternoon round. And finally I wanted see just how forgiving these babies were. I've played a forged players iron for most of my golfing life aside from some testing here and there on various GI irons so I'll admit to being a little excited to get some forgiveness back in my hands again.

Now I'm not going to give up too much info before the homepage review goes up but I'll say that I was hoping for a bit more feedback, now I realize I'm not comparing apples to apples so I won't hold this against Mizuno here. But what I mean was a few different times I hit a shot, it felt like I hit it decent, but I just couldn't tell how well. My playing partner mentioned a couple times as I'm watching the ball in the air..."did you get enough, gotta go" but my answer was...I don't know, I think so? That happened a few times, one of the times I came up woefully short, like 20 yards short and a few other times it happened the distance was perfect. So it was just kind of hard to know exactly whether or not I should be yelling for the ball to get up, get down, bite, go... I'm sure that's nothing unexpected coming from a set of irons where feedback is always there for you.

While I'm on the subject though the forgiveness is stellar, there were several times where I knew I didn't hit the shot great and the results were still very serviceable. In fact my closest approach shot on the day came when I knew I missed the shot, the ball came out much lower yet still wound up 8 feet from the pin. That's just cheating!! Haha. I mentioned to my playing partner that the EZ's were bailing me out quite a bit and he had no idea that I hadn't been having a great striking day at all. So the forgiveness is definitely nice, I think on the day it saved me quite a few times. I wound up having a pretty good day scoring wise and I don't think I would have been able to shoot quite as good scores if I didn't have some help from my irons.

I knew before I hit these that they'd go high and far...and they definitely do. But I need to be able to control the flight on my shots, I don't typically work the ball left or right but almost every iron shot I'm doing something with the trajectory. I did have a few shots that I had no issues with flighting the ball down into the wind, but overall I did kind of struggle with that yesterday. Particularly with shots with the gap wedge. I rarely if ever take full shots with wedges and I just struggled with that gap wedge, whenever I wanted to keep it low and flight one in there I caught the shot fat, took a huge divot and wound up well short of my target. A lot of that was the uncertainty of the distance I'd hit that club and just not fully executing the shot so there is more work needed but it defintiely didn't come easy. Another shot near the end of the round was a par 3 playing 180 right into the wind which was blowing a good 20 mph at this point. I pulled a 4 iron and knew I would have to hit it solid and keep it low. I hit probably one of my more solid iron shots on the day...the shot started low enough but wound up climbing pretty high and I thought I was toast because it's a carry over an old rock quarry almost the entire way....I made the green, actually about 10 yards past pin high so the shot worked out so I can't complain but it definitely had me worried when that ball started climbing.

Overall I think I had a good first day with the JPX EZ in the bag. I shot a personal best at this course the first time around and while the 2nd trip wasn't quite as good score wise I hit some pretty good shots. I want to get more experience with the irons and that XP105 shaft particularly because I was more focused on feel and forgiveness of the iron head that I didn't take many exclusive notes on the shafts themselves. I will say that I like the weighting of the irons/shaft combo a lot, I felt like I was getting a good fast swing on the ball and results were positive just about every time. I saw a few VERY high/ballooning shots on the day, but nothing that would make me freak out just yet being it was my first day with the setup. Stay tuned for that in the next write up.

Here are a couple of pics from the on course action.

These are of the 7 iron. I didn't have a chance to get as many pics as I wanted due to having others in our group. I'll get more for sure.

Safe to say I had about 162 to the center....this shot was into the wind and downhill. I hit a smooth/stock 7 iron and wound up on the green about 25 feet short of the hole.

The feel aspect is kind of the way it is with a cast club, IMO.

Back