Mizuno MP-54 Preview

Except for the MP 4. Confused yet?

Yes they are.

Silly Mizuno being silly.

I always assumed the MP-59s were on the 'less forgiving' side of things due to Luke Donald playing them for a season or two. Interesting.

The 59s aren't that much different in terms of how forgiving they are. People have a misconception about how unforgiving Mizuno irons can be. With the exception of the pure blade MP-4, they aren't as bad as people think they are.

I do find it telling that the Mizuno tour guys don't game the MP 4. Other than hanging on the wall, I'm not sure what other use I would get from them.

I do find it telling that the Mizuno tour guys don't game the MP 4. Other than hanging on the wall, I'm not sure what other use I would get from them.

As beautiful as the MP4 is to look at, it's equally difficult to hit. I'd say that the sweet spot on it is about the size of a pencil eraser. When I hit the demo 6 iron, I only hit a few right in the sweet spot and when you do, it's awesome but it's just so hard to hit consistently. They certainly would like nice mounted on the wall though. :)

That's because you're bad

It's been quite some time since any Mizzy tour pros used a true blade. Some people still want blades and even if it's a small market, Mizuno can't not make a blade. Mizuno not having a blade in their lineup would be like TM not having a driver in their lineup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Mizuno MP-54 Preview

The 59s aren't that much different in terms of how forgiving they are. People have a misconception about how unforgiving Mizuno irons can be. With the exception of the pure blade MP-4, they aren't as bad as people think they are.

Agree. It seems like a lot of people think Mizunos are only for scratch players but really most of the MP line is highly playable if you have a decent swing.
Even in the MP-4, up to the 5-iron, they're not all that hard to hit.
Having said that though, the distance and forgiveness of the JPXs are highly seductive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Sorry, I don't have the two available to compare. To me, it's similar to others in the same class of iron that I have here (V2's and 588 CB). I wouldn't say they were thick in person by any means.

This is a comparison I'm going to try and get some feedback about (distance, dispersion, turf interaction).

Are these set up to your lie and length spec's. Don't Mizzy's usually come about 2* upright compared to most?

:popcorn:

This is a comparison I'm going to try and get some feedback about (distance, dispersion, turf interaction).

Are these set up to your lie and length spec's. Don't Mizzy's usually come about 2* upright compared to most?

:popcorn:

Will definitely do that for you. So far they feel incredible on center contact. Hit some real nice shots with them while fooling around on the course with my son today. Will have much more info tomorrow.

I've had the 54's and the 4's for bit more than a month now. 54s are absolutely amazing. For a players iron its very forgiving and of course can't say enough about the soft buttery feel. Been thinking about going to the 54s for 7-pw as well

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Looking forward to your full review. I loved the MP-64, but when I demoed these they lacked the feel and crispness that the MP-64 offered. Maybe it was a bad day, but I was not a fan.

Mizuno MP-54 Preview

I've had the 54's and the 4's for bit more than a month now. 54s are absolutely amazing. For a players iron its very forgiving and of course can't say enough about the soft buttery feel. Been thinking about going to the 54s for 7-pw as well

This is alway hilarious to me. I don't think Mizunos feel any different or "buttery" than any other iron with a similar shape.

But the MP54s are pretty darn special.

Such a great looking iron and I hate chrome irons. When I did my fitting a couple months back I almost wound up with a combo set of Mizzys. They feel great and set up wonderfully tonmybeye. Be interested in your findings Hawk.

This is alway hilarious to me. I don't think Mizunos feel any different or "buttery" than any other iron with a similar shape.

I always wonder if its hard cold butter or warm soft butter. Because there is a difference.

I always wonder if its hard cold butter or warm soft butter. Because there is a difference.

Are cast irons margarine? Because that has less fat.

Lets keep it on topic please. Thank you.

I guess I'm in the camp that Mizzunos put another set of irons that look like other sets they have put out. Nothing over the top special but that's just me

I guess I'm in the camp that Mizzunos put another set of irons that look like other sets they have put out. Nothing over the top special but that's just me

They do look like the mp53s. But the cavity and set progression is different enough to call it an advancement in my opinion. And not any different than a lot of other major OEMs with irons.

"Buttery soft" is a result of an amazing marketing department putting a name to something that doesn't exist.

Grain flow forging doesn't produce any unique or extraordinary feel that other oems have already created.

It doesn't surprise me that people have bought into it.

But I really like the feel and definitely the sound off of these irons. But I don't buy into the nonsense.

54s are indeed special. As far as feel goes, it is definitely subjective. But when I compare to another club's "feel" it's definitely "softer." Maybe it's less of a "thwack" sound, less harsh feedback, or some combination of both. But is is definitely perceived by ME as "softer." Again it is subjective and one persons review could very well be different from another's. I find the 54 head in a kbs tour shaft has top notch "feel." ;)

Back