TaylorMade SLDR Driver - Review Thread

Keep in mind that lower is not always better. Its about finding a medium to maximize with the rest of your launch and ball flight characteristics. For some reason on the internet (and this is not directed at anybody), people crave a low low low low number, when in reality many are robbing themselves of distance by going too low for their swing.

I've learned this lesson the hard way. Spin can be your friend.

I've learned this lesson the hard way. Spin can be your friend.

Absolutely can. Its why its so crucial to find something fitting an individual. Canadan and I are the perfect example of that. We can both play this driver and both play it rather well. I need to bring the launch and spin up to increase the carry, and he needs to bring both down to maximize ball flight.

What I was fighting was the decent angle. I was getting a 13ish launch, but was dropping like a rock at 45+ I actually saw the best avg hits at 3000. I was hitting alittle high too at around 120 ft peak, but he didn't have any of the low launch shafts with the TM tip.

I thought I remembered reading that about you. If you're on my end of the spectrum, drivers like this are game changers. Seems like while a number of companies are working on a driver of this design, TaylorMade has really found something.

Tack on improved sound, adjustable draw/fade bias, and a nice looking head? Yep. I still need to own this one, at some point.

Absolutely can. Its why its so crucial to find something fitting an individual. Canadan and I are the perfect example of that. We can both play this driver and both play it rather well. I need to bring the launch and spin up to increase the carry, and he needs to bring both down to maximize ball flight.

Dead on perfect example of it. Opposite ends of the spectrum from eachother, but with the proper fitting, it can work really well for both sides.

Unless you're me and miss all over the face, hahahaha

I thought I remembered reading that about you. If you're on my end of the spectrum, drivers like this are game changers. Seems like while a number of companies are working on a driver of this design, TaylorMade has really found something.

Tack on improved sound, adjustable draw/fade bias, and a nice looking head? Yep. I still need to own this one, at some point.

Yes I want one too, the R1 will be in the bag until I can get a SLDR for under $200.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

TaylorMade SLDR Driver - Review Thread

Yes I want one too, the R1 will be in the bag until I can get a SLDR for under $200.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

This is where TM has shot themselves in the foot imo. Were all under the impression that they will release a number of new drivers next year like they have in the past and the SLDR price will free fall. But that may or may not be the case. This may be their top line driver next season

This is where TM has shot themselves in the foot imo. Were all under the impression that they will release a number of new drivers next year like they have in the past and the SLDR price will free fall. But that may or may not be the case. This may be their top line driver next season

To be fair, the last 3 years TaylorMade has released at a normal cycle.

R11, R11S and R1
With RBZ line has counterpart at the same time.

This driver was moved up for a number of reasons.

I agree with what has been said about finding the beneficial medium for performance. This driver won't be for everyone off the rack. Some folks will insist on playing a stock stiff for example and they ought to be playing a regular. So on and so forth regarding the fitting process. It's stinky long if you have the variable to help with spin and launch.

In reviewing the many substantially good posts in this testing. I myself find that my game and swing point to the contrary. I did not go up in loft from a 10.5* R1 with a 7m3. I stayed at 10.5* after some cg2 time. Anything that launched above 16 degrees lost distance, in both drivers. So it's important to find fit at launch.

Shafts are very similar in launch and spin characteristics, the m3 may be a tad lower overall. I don't mind that. However if not fit somewhat well, this driver will punish people on launch and carry. Shaft plays a huge role here I believe.

As for misses, heel shots do suck but so do misses on the toe. The r1 has a slight edge here but a few yards for me isn't a killer unless it's water. Yes there are mor forgiving drivers out there. Few are as good on centre hits though. IMO

To be fair, the last 3 years TaylorMade has released at a normal cycle.

R11, R11S and R1
With RBZ line has counterpart at the same time.

This driver was moved up for a number of reasons.

Right. And I believe a couple of the reasons the SLDR was moved up is because a) the RBZ drivers aren't as big of a hit and b) this is probably their most versatile driver yet. But as a consumer, would you jump the gun buying a driver at the end of the season when there's a decent chance come next season it will be cheaper?

Right. And I believe a couple of the reasons the SLDR was moved up is because a) the RBZ drivers aren't as big of a hit and b) this is probably their most versatile driver yet. But as a consumer, would you jump the gun buying a driver at the end of the season when there's a decent chance come next season it will be cheaper?

I dont have an end of the season, so I cant answer that.
I will also say I dont agree with the idea that the RBZ driver played much of a role in this one.

I dont have an end of the season, so I cant answer that.
I will also say I dont agree with the idea that the RBZ driver played much of a role in this one.

The more I talk golf with people from Florida the more I realize I'm living in the wrong part of the country.

Just curious, what's your opinion on why the SLDR line was released when it was?

How much do you think a shaft change could benefit me in this one?

The more I talk golf with people from Florida the more I realize I'm living in the wrong part of the country.

Just curious, what's your opinion on why the SLDR line was released when it was?

To make sure to stay relevant when the R1 black fell flat.
The Tour needed a new driver as conversion to the R1 was not great.
To beat someone else to market with similar technology as their advances have been beaten to market for close to 5 years.

How much do you think a shaft change could benefit me in this one?

I dont.

Yes. Its the closest thing I can compare it to, but I think its better high on the club face, and worse low on the club face. Far worse low on the club face.

Quote to compare SLDR to J40 on mis hits

The J40 and Cleveland Classic XL are the two that have come up as being close in comparison to the SLDR

Can anyone compare this to the j40 driver?

TTing

Not the same shafts, but I would argue loft to loft, they are quite similar. 9.5 in the SLDR vs 10.5 in the J40 I was seeing a bit higher spin and a bit higher launch. Slighter tighter dispersion in the SLDR, but I'd imagine launch characteristics played a big role there. Major advantage to SLDR in the adjustability factor though.

Not the same shafts, but I would argue loft to loft, they are quite similar. 9.5 in the SLDR vs 10.5 in the J40 I was seeing a bit higher spin and a bit higher launch. Slighter tighter dispersion in the SLDR, but I'd imagine launch characteristics played a big role there. Major advantage to SLDR in the adjustability factor though.

Sounds like it could be awesome for me.

TTing

Got out Saturday with mrvandelay. Played with the weight all the way in draw and loft at 11*. Went 4 for 7 on FIR when using the SLDR. 2 of the misses were bad hooks but it's all me. And the other one I over swung trying to drive a green. I have never missed left and now working on my swing and with this driver set at draw all 3 misses were left. No fades or anything right all day. The 4 in the fairway were perfectly straight or a nice baby draw. I seem to hit this straighter than my 3 wood.

Any hole shorter than 360 yards and I like to hit 3 wood and my playing partners didn't understand why. Still would like to get more comfortable and have the confidence but the results are there.

It was my fourth time out with the SLDR yesterday. I'm feeling more comfortable every time. I actually hit most of the shots around the center of the club face . I'm not losing as much on toe hits as some guys have stated on here, yes they do lose some distance, but I don't have that big slice like I used to have. I like it so far.

Played with a guy who had one of these in the bag and all he did was hit short knuckleballs balls with it. Looked like the ball was dancing in the air with very little carry and lots of roll. It was a very poor fit for him. It sure dies look and sound better than the R1.

Played with a guy who had one of these in the bag and all he did was hit short knuckleballs balls with it. Looked like the ball was dancing in the air with very little carry and lots of roll. It was a very poor fit for him. It sure dies look and sound better than the R1.

Definitely a shaft/fitting issue. I've watched it be hit and be plenty long in both carry and total yardage

Definitely a shaft/fitting issue. I've watched it be hit and be plenty long in both carry and total yardage

Dude, that's how I hit this driver and there's no shaft going to fix it. Plus, the loft won't go to 14.

For some, this one is just WAY too low spinning, plus, it lacks forgiveness across the face, a shaft won't fix that. In the right hands, its a weapon, but this one definitely isn't for everyone IMO.

I'm honestly surprised at how many people are hit and miss with this driver. Which to me is a great thing for this thread

Back