Cleveland Smart-Square Putter Review

Thats just awesome.

Let me say that I handed War Eagle the putter in the parking lot and we never hit the putting green before the round. His first putt was a 25 foot birdie putt that he darn near made as it burned the edge. He continued to burn the edge for about 7-8 holes and then it happened. He made one 7 footer for a tough par save and then a 6 footer for bogey after a tough tee shot. Everything was burning the hole and everything was dead on line.

Then came 16 where he just missed a birdie putt from about 20 feet and then on 17 he had a par save from close to 40 feet that was dead center and dropped. Im not sure in all my time playing with him, I have ever seen him roll the rock as good as he did in this case.

These greens were fast and true and he made them look rather mundane the way he was rolling it.

That is impressive. Sounds like the Smart-Square is dangerous in his hands.

He likes the shape i believe, which helps. But he openly talked about how the framing of the ball during alignment helped and gave confidence. It makes sense when you think about it. Gimmicky, copy cat or whatever anyone else wants to think, in the end, if it helps you make putts, its all that matters.

He likes the shape i believe, which helps. But he openly talked about how the framing of the ball during alignment helped and gave confidence. It makes sense when you think about it. Gimmicky, copy cat or whatever anyone else wants to think, in the end, if it helps you make putts, its all that matters.
That's the name of the game, make putts and have confidence with you putter.

Wow War, 26 putts is crazy good. Is the grip longer than normal or is it just heavier?

There's something to be said for a putter that appeals to your eye. We all know how important confidence is when it comes to golf, especially putting.

Exciting times surrounding the Smart Square!

Just turned in the frontpage review for editing and the announcement of the forum testers that will be joining War and I also dropped. INCREDIBLY eager for more feedback from various users!

Exciting times surrounding the Smart Square!

Just turned in the frontpage review for editing and the announcement of the forum testers that will be joining War and I also dropped. INCREDIBLY eager for more feedback from various users!

Eager to start the testing sir!

Like JB said, the shape is something that I like. The mallet style putters have always been to my liking. The big thing for me is the framing of the ball with the squares. I do believe, if the squares were solid white, that it would not give me the same result. The lines and multi-alignment system the squares offer works quite well, both with lining up to your target and squaring the putter head/face angle at address.
Wow War, 26 putts is crazy good. Is the grip longer than normal or is it just heavier?
Standard length, just slightly heavier.

Like JB said, the shape is something that I like. The mallet style putters have always been to my liking. The big thing for me is the framing of the ball with the squares. I do believe, if the squares were solid white, that it would not give me the same result. The lines and multi-alignment system the squares offer works quite well, both with lining up to your target and squaring the putter head/face angle at address.

Standard length, just slightly heavier.

Its like we're reading each-others thoughts.

Great job so far guys. Not the best looking putter to me but I like the results you guys are having!

It looks like it has a large footprint. Not my kind of putter but I would give it a roll... Is it larger than the 2-ball putters?

It looks like it has a large footprint. Not my kind of putter but I would give it a roll... Is it larger than the 2-ball putters?

Not at all IMO.

Some of the pics in here may make it look bigger, but there are a couple at address sliver the ball that do it much better justice. Even then, it's a nice size mallet, not at all like a lot of the full mallets out there (I'm looking at you spider)

I cant wait for the testers to get this one in hand!

No kidding...rob was talking about how much he loved his 2 ball but thinks this design at setup could be a deadly weapon for him.

No kidding...rob was talking about how much he loved his 2 ball but thinks this design at setup could be a deadly weapon for him.
I know that he liked the DLL, so with that in mind, I think the shape of this one combined with the alignment on it will be money for him.

Freaking anxious here too. Need to get a note on the door for FedEx. No idea when it will show up but I don't want them to not leave it.

Me too! Spent some time today thinking about how I want to conduct and then report on my testing results. Looking forward to getting it in hand.

Cleveland Smart-Square Putter Review

Me too! Spent some time today thinking about how I want to conduct and then report on my testing results. Looking forward to getting it in hand.

Just be you dude, that always shines through more than anything. And always remember it isn't a competition. Words to live by in a forum testing, it's all about the gear and the info it lets us provide, good bad or indifferent.

I'm ready for this review to go up on the frontpage and for the forum portion to start rolling, really looking forward to comparing thoughts!

Last edited:
Great advice James. Going to be fun to test a putter for the first time.

It will be intersting having a side by side with my V-Line with the Smart Square. I can't wait to get this in hand and see it roll downline.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Placed a note on the door this morning in case Fedex brings a nice little surprise today!

I look forward to giving it a go, though I don't know if I would ever settle for the looks...

Anyhow, thanks a lot for the review!

Tried delivering mine today forgot to get note out. Gonna deliver it again tomorrow

Back