PING s55 Iron - Review Thread

Awesome initial write up Jman. These are stunning!

Great 'rattty range' write up James! Can't wait to hear your thoughts from the course and the feedback from the rest of the testers!

Thanks gents, going to be upper low 50's and rainy after school lets out today but I'm going to take my happy butt out there anyways. Oh the sacrifices for the sake of testing :alien:

Get out there and hit that 3 iron!

Gotta do it!

Get out there and hit that 3 iron!

Just for you, its getting a workout today. I may need text encouragement so be prepared.

Though, on a windy day, it could be 3i stingers all day off the tee.

Just for you, its getting a workout today. I may need text encouragement so be prepared.

I'll be ready. Fixed my phone and we go for launch! I used to love to hit 3/4 irons off the tee and then hyrbids came around and ended that. I am positive that it will happen with these. Can't wait for some Jman on-course updates.

Great starting write up Jman! Those pictures really make these clubs stand out. I really like the in hand, down look of the clubs. They really look like a players club for sure. The tech in the clubs seems to make this a very nice players club with enough forgiveness to make this stand out for someone who wants both forgiveness, and that look and feel similar to a blade.

Can I text you encouragement? I like 3 irons. They are like a mini achievement on every swing. I feel like I should get +10xp every time I connect cleanly with a 3i

I am very interested how playable that 3i is. I like mine a lot (even though it gets changed out often). It can be a very versatile club. I do think that it's profile would hinder a golfer of my (in)ability rather than enhance it.

Guys lets try to keep the review threads to about the irons and reviews. While I know we are borderline there, remember that thousands read these threads and their #1 issue is sifting through 2 pages of "witty" banter.

I would like to add again, if anyone has any specific things that they would like for myself and the other reviewers to really watch for or focus on, please don't hesitate to post them up here. That is the kind of thing that really helps provide the most detailed feedback we possibly can for everyone.

I've got something for you Jman. How consistent is the sound/feel through the set? On my VR Pro Combos, the pocket cavity irons give a very different sensation than the rest of the set, especially the blades. Is everything consistent with the s55s?

James, truly amazing info so far, you are doing this iron set proud!!!

I'd like to know about forgiveness towards the toe. The s56's were fairly forgiving in that direction and Id be curious to know if that continued with this new model

I'd like to know about forgiveness towards the toe. The s56's were fairly forgiving in that direction and Id be curious to know if that continued with this new model

that's my normal miss. While I do not have these in hand yet, it is something I am looking forward to finding out.

that's my normal miss. While I do not have these in hand yet, it is something I am looking forward to finding out.

Thanks bro. This area to me is where the s56 really shined.

Jman,
Looking forward to your thoughts on ball flight during your round today as well as how well you can hold the greens with your longer irons.

On the course right now, if there's anything in particular you want me to try or to look out for, feel free to throw it up and I'll answer whenever I do my overview of the round.

On the course right now, if there's anything in particular you want me to try or to look out for, feel free to throw it up and I'll answer whenever I do my overview of the round.

How do the stock options blend into your hybrids and wedges in the short end?

How do the stock options blend into your hybrids and wedges in the short end?

On this note- is the stock shaft a good pairing with the head ? I know many loved this shaft in other sets. To me, it is odd that this is the stock in the g25, i20 and s55. That's a wide berth of irons.

Well, that was an interesting debut. As I always do, I'm going to let it marinate overnight as my brain goes 1,000 MPH. There were some tremendously surprising things for me, and there was a few moments of harsh reality that these are def a more demanding set than I've played in a while.

So. Many. Thoughts.

I also appreciate the Q's, I'll address those each in the update!

My question relates to that paradigm between forgiveness and being a players club. What is a fair spectrum to use to describe the range of players features and forgiveness, and where do these clubs fit on that spectrum?

Well, that was an interesting debut. As I always do, I'm going to let it marinate overnight as my brain goes 1,000 MPH. There were some tremendously surprising things for me, and there was a few moments of harsh reality that these are def a more demanding set than I've played in a while.

So. Many. Thoughts.

I also appreciate the Q's, I'll address those each in the update!

Looking forward to it. Know you will knock it out of the park.

Hi, sorry if I missed it but whats the interaction with the long grass like? Does it cut through or get caught up? Or is that something that only comes down to swing. Thanks

Holy, nice picture work on the first post there.. just about everything you'd want to see. They definitely look a lot nicer than some of the pre-release photos we'd been seeing.

Back