Callaway X-Hot Fairway Wood Preview Thread

I think it's time I bought an X-Hot FW. How are you guys deciding between the regular and the pro? Is the pro simply a smaller head with lower spin and a slightly "better" shaft?

"Pro head is slightly different. Little open, little less spin, better stock shaft" - JMan

"About a billion times cooler of a club" - Canadan

I love my XHOT 4Wood. It's long, straight, and easy to hit off the deck!

Just now seeing this #Cookie!!!! Welcome to the club! Can't wait to see if this helps your game any. I am still in love with mine and am hitting it better now than in MB, which might be hard to believe. Was 5 for 6 with it off the tee last Friday and the one miss I had was just in the rough. Hit it once off the fairway on a par 5. It can do it all. Greatest fairway wood I've ever owned.

Got to hit the 15* along with the 13* 3Deep on the launch monitor and had my current driver and 3w with me as well. The 15* pro carried further than my current 13* 3w and the 13* 3Deep carried just as far as my current driver. I had issues with the 3Deep off the deck, but since it sent the ball the same distance as my driver off the tee and was way more consistent, I may have to make a two club swap.

I was highly impressed. So I've got some serious pondering to do before I make a purchase.

Oh yes, new toy in the house!

vazejeby.jpg
Cookie! Tell me about this toy.

Cookie! Tell me about this toy.

This is the Callaway X-Hot Pro 4w (17*) with the stock PXv 6.0 shaft.

What else can I share?

It's:
#beautiful
#hotface
#forgiving
#long
#sexy

What else can I share?

It's:
#beautiful
#hotface
#forgiving
#long
#sexy

the #sumitupnicely. I'm wanting to add a 5 woodish to my bag and start dropping a long iron or two.

the #sumitupnicely. I'm wanting to add a 5 woodish to my bag and start dropping a long iron or two.

This was plenty long to replace the 3w for me (longer than any 3w I've played previously).

I wouldn't mind at all adding something in the 20-21* range.

What else can I share?

It's:
#beautiful
#hotface
#forgiving
#long
#sexy

Exactly what I was thinking tonight.

got a 14.5 3Deep its pretty sweet, goes a long way

Just picked up the 5w why o why have I waited to put this in my bag. Was putting it 230 to 245 consistently on the range. I am blown away by the feel and play of this club

Good to see people still finding success here with this club. For me this season, the 4wood has truly been a game changer. I've saved strokes off the tee by keeping it in the fairway without giving up to much distance over my driver. I've always been leery of FW for my game but through the course of this season, it's become one of the most trusted clubs in my bag.

Just picked up the 5w why o why have I waited to put this in my bag. Was putting it 230 to 245 consistently on the range. I am blown away by the feel and play of this club

The 5w has been a great addition to my bag. I imagine you crush yours. Do you think it'll replace your hybrid?

My X Hot Pro 3w arrived yesterday and I was only able to get out and hit it about 10 times but it is a beast off the tee. Paired with the Ka'ili I was hitting it almost dead straight, which is incredibly unusual these days for me. I only hit one bad shot and the result wasn't as bad I probably deserved for the swing I put on it. I am hoping this will be a nice option when I'm struggling with the driver. Off the deck I need more time with it to get it dialed in. This will be replacing my 3deep as I feel like it's more forgiving especially when my swing is off.

The 5w has been a great addition to my bag. I imagine you crush yours. Do you think it'll replace your hybrid?

My X Hot Pro 3w arrived yesterday and I was only able to get out and hit it about 10 times but it is a beast off the tee. Paired with the Ka'ili I was hitting it almost dead straight, which is incredibly unusual these days for me. I only hit one bad shot and the result wasn't as bad I probably deserved for the swing I put on it. I am hoping this will be a nice option when I'm struggling with the driver. Off the deck I need more time with it to get it dialed in. This will be replacing my 3deep as I feel like it's more forgiving especially when my swing is off.

at 18 degrees it is filling a spot in my bag nicely. I am pulling my 3w from my bag and have a TM TP Tour 21 degree hybrid in there also now. I almost never hit 3w off the tee so I am quite excited about this.

at 18 degrees it is filling a spot in my bag nicely. I am pulling my 3w from my bag and have a TM TP Tour 21 degree hybrid in there also now. I almost never hit 3w off the tee so I am quite excited about this.

That is awesome. The 5w is as long as some 3ws I've had.

My X Hot Pro 3w arrived yesterday ~ This will be replacing my 3deep as I feel like it's more forgiving especially when my swing is off.

Wondering if you can elaborate on why you find the Pro 3w more forgiving than the 3Deep?

I didn't care for the 3 Deep off the deck but was killing it off the tee. Other way around for the Pro 3w. I know I'm going to replace my current 3w with the X Hot Pro 3w, but I'm also thinking of scrapping the driver in favor of the 3 Deep.

Wondering if you can elaborate on why you find the Pro 3w more forgiving than the 3Deep?

I didn't care for the 3 Deep off the deck but was killing it off the tee. Other way around for the Pro 3w. I know I'm going to replace my current 3w with the X Hot Pro 3w, but I'm also thinking of scrapping the driver in favor of the 3 Deep.

I've struggled with the 3deep recently--ugly, smothered hooks--from the tee and deck. I feel like I am hitting it low on the face with the 3deep. I know it's something with the my swing as I was hitting it well before but I am to the point where I have zero confidence with it.

I've struggled with the 3deep recently--ugly, smothered hooks--from the tee and deck. I feel like I am hitting it low on the face with the 3deep. I know it's something with the my swing as I was hitting it well before but I am to the point where I have zero confidence with it.

Okay. I thought that you were seeing something with the clubs themselves.

I'm a little late to the XHot party. Most have probably moved on, or are possibly contemplating the XHot2.

A buddy of mine on THP had one that didn't work for him, so I bought it off of him -- 4W with the regular flex shaft. It is stock other than the grip and was in mint shape. I wasn't in the market for a fairway wood, but I'm a bit of a FW ho and wanted to try this model. Help a friend and try a club I was really interested in this year? Why not?

I'm pitting it against a Ping K15 3W which is really a 4W. It's 16 degrees from the factory and I have it cut down to 42.5. The Ping K15 is a long fairway wood. Of all the 15-17 degree fairway woods I have owned (and we're talking at least a dozen), only the Tour Edge XCG3 4W was longer. For me the K15 isn't the carry monster (my Tour Edge Trilogy FWs carried further), but with carry + roll it is long with a medium ball flight. My point is that the XHot is going against what has been a good performer for me.

My initial impression of the XHot 4W are as follows:
- That shaft is too long from the factory for me. I can do nothing at all with it with normal hand placement. Choke up 3/4 of an inch to an inch and I'm just fine. I'm going to have to cut that down. I know this is marketed as a distance club, but I don't think that shaft length is at all right for the SGI crowd.
- The head feels hot and has a nice sound.
- What is very, very surprising is that the face of the Xhot 4W is identical in size to the K15's face. The K15 is arguably one of the widest faces on a fairway wood, but the XHot is just as big. I've measured and it is almost like they copied the face properties. What's great about that is you get a huge hitting area like the K15, but in a smaller, more versatile footprint. That means that it is better off of the deck, where for me the K15 has really been hit or miss.
- I like the shaft. It feels like it has some kick, but I still don't get ballooning shots. The ball just goes out. I'm admittedly a slower swing speed player (regular flex), but the shaft is just fine.
- Ball flight for me has been a draw with misses being a push. That is very rare for me with a fairway wood. Most of them are straight with balls leaking right in flight near the end or a fade if it starts left of center. I will hit the K15 and XHot 4W back to back and see different flight, so while I'm sure it is the Indian, it might be mental or something about the way the club sets up initially on the ground. We'll see if that trend continues.
- I like the looks on the sole a lot. I'm mixed on the tramp stamp and black face.
- I can't quite tell about the distance. It's really cold right now and I'm having to go to the heated part of the range, so I can't quite tell where the balls are stopping.

It's too early to tell if it beats out the K15, but it is good enough to make it worth shortening and spending some time with. I like the combination of the massive face, but with a more normal footprint. It is also a pretty package, and I've always liked Callaway in the FW department.

One question for the group, but does the XHot have a max COR (.830) face? All the marketing says something like "extremely high" and "approaching the limit" but did they actually get there with a stainless face and no slots? This may be answered in the thread, but I didn't see it.

Popped a white tie in this thing and took it out today. When I hit it well I was pretty impressed with ball flight and distance. Mainly looking for a tee ball alternative right now, though I know it will work off the turf. Some directional issues related to the user, but working on that.

Popped a white tie in this thing and took it out today. When I hit it well I was pretty impressed with ball flight and distance. Mainly looking for a tee ball alternative right now, though I know it will work off the turf. Some directional issues related to the user, but working on that.

That is an intriguing combo sir.

It looks cool and sounds cool and we know the importance of that. Interesting feel to it. Stout for a 'high launch' shaft, but not unpleasant.

It looks cool and sounds cool and we know the importance of that. Interesting feel to it. Stout for a 'high launch' shaft, but not unpleasant.

Dude, looks and sound are all that matter. Doy.

That one is a fun shaft, hell it and the Red-Tie are. The Black-Tie though can rot for all I care, sadly I know that statement takes points off of my internet golfer status, I'm never going to get one of those damn shirts.

Well, I still haven't it hit this off the turf, but have practiced quite a bit with it off the tee and I'm really liking what I'm seeing. The White Tie is working out just fine. Took a cut with it on one hole yesterday and it was toed out to 230 yards with probably 20 yards of run. The beauty of a mid-height draw :)

Have gained a ton of confidence with this, both off the tee and turf in the last couple weeks. It definitely wants to move right-left, no matter what I do, but it's not out of control like it was before a bunch of practice and a lesson. Good swings are starting right and coming back. Swaying off the ball will just cause it to hook.

Mid height, which has a lot to do with my shot shape anyway. If I leave the face open I can hit a really high push, but I'd rather not do that if at all possible lol. Off the turf it creeps even a little lower, but I was able to stretch it out where I'd have a reasonable shot at getting home in two on shorter par 5's if I can get a good drive off. Relies on some run of course due to the trajectory. That's not an entirely common thing in my world, so hoping to keep developing it over the coming weeks.

I'd forgot just how powerful this club feels when you hit it in the center. Just a very nice sound at impact.

Back