Cleveland Smart-Square Putter Review

Tried delivering mine today forgot to get note out. Gonna deliver it again tomorrow

thats exciting...makes me think mine may also come tomorrow!

Last edited:
Nothing for me today, or my wife is hiding it. lol She wouldn't do that...would she? Naaaah!
Hopefully she sends me a text tomorrow while I'm at work to let me know the putter is here. Crossing my fingers, too.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Guys, I truly truly truly know it's exciting but let's try to keep the shipping updates and the eta's out of here if we can please! Thanks!

Guys, I truly truly truly know it's exciting but let's try to keep the shipping updates and the eta's out of here if we can please! Thanks!

Sure thing JMan. Will a new thread be started for our testing or are we to use this one?

Sorry sir

Got my 12 foot by 8 foot piece of putting turf from my father in law tonight. It's a little hairy, but once I get laid out in the house is should flatten and level out. Got my putter today, so looking forward to giving it a roll when I get home.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1382748480436.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1382748480436.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 0
Got my 12 foot by 8 foot piece of putting turf from my father in law tonight. It's a little hairy, but once I get laid out in the house is should flatten and level out. Got my putter today, so looking forward to giving it a roll when I get home.

Nice dude! I'm excited for this one, I really am.

I rolled the Smart-Square to the tune of 25 and 28 putts tonight. The 25 is the lowest I've been since I started golfing about 4 years ago.

I rolled the Smart-Square to the tune of 25 and 28 putts tonight. The 25 is the lowest I've been since I started golfing about 4 years ago.

Dude, I don't care what shots set this up.

25 putts is ridiculously stupid. I have a bad feeling I will be purchasing this one based on what I read here.

That is a pretty darn remarkable stat.

You were a good putter several years ago. You were a very good putter once you got the posture and alignment in place. If moving to this one makes you roll it even better, that is impressive. I know it did for War Eagle.

Dude, I don't care what shots set this up.

25 putts is ridiculously stupid. I have a bad feeling I will be purchasing this one based on what I read here.

I'll head south soon enough, with this in hand. We'll share for a round, we are Jmookie after all.

That is a pretty darn remarkable stat.

You were a good putter several years ago. You were a very good putter once you got the posture and alignment in place. If moving to this one makes you roll it even better, that is impressive. I know it did for War Eagle.

When I added it up I laughed. Lots of one putts to save pars, but, only one of those was inside 5 feet, that is big. Shows my shotty chipping, but still, it's big. 4 birds on that round as well.

The squares are really fitting my eye more and more as the just work so well in so many ways, as is the double bend shaft, which is honestly a surprise to me.

James- You are seeing what i am seeing.

It wasnt until late in the round that I started dropping longer putts (10+ feet or more), but what I noticed was that those medium length putts were all dropping for me during my round. 5, 6, 7, 8 feet, just dropping.

Being able to convert those mid length putts from 5-10 feet for par is huge for my game.

James- You are seeing what i am seeing.

It wasnt until late in the round that I started dropping longer putts (10+ feet or more), but what I noticed was that those medium length putts were all dropping for me during my round. 5, 6, 7, 8 feet, just dropping.

Being able to convert those mid length putts from 5-10 feet for par is huge for my game.

The fact that you saw exactly what I was as I was working on my review said it all for me. The fact that I'm getting more and more comfortable with it is amazing to me as I'm not a mallet or double bend guy, but it's amazing what results can do for one, ya know?

The fact that you saw exactly what I was as I was working on my review said it all for me. The fact that I'm getting more and more comfortable with it is amazing to me as I'm not a mallet or double bend guy, but it's amazing what results can do for one, ya know?
Being a CS guy myself, it's baffling how well the heel shafted version of the Cleveland Putters just work for me. The T-Frame and now this one, just work.

That's some nasty good numbers there Jman. I'm hoping to get out on the course on Sunday afternoon to roll a few on the course. Keep it up brother.

Got home to find a box from Cleveland waiting on me:

IMAG0107_zps914bfb7b.jpg

IMAG0108_zpsecc938f0.jpg

IMAG0109_zpsf3db5645.jpg

IMAG0110_zps4481a00b.jpg

I received the 35" model. Lie angle 70*, Loft 3*, Weight 360g. Really interesting box. Rolled a few short putts on the living room carpet. Initial thoughts are good. This is a beautiful putter. Weight feels very nice and comparable to the Odyssey Backstryke DART I've used for most of the last two years which is 355g. Grip feels comfortable yet is a slightly different shape than what I'm used to. Don't think it will require much time to get used to this. Biggest difference is the heel shaft on the Smart Square vs the center shaft on the Backstryke

I'll get on the putting green at my home course tomorrow and spend some time getting to know the Smart Square and I'll report back my findings.

In the meantime here is a brief overview of where I'm at as a putter:
I'd call myself a very average putter. Total putts average of 33.6 putts per 18 holes for this year to date. Can be somewhat streaky with the flatstick. Alignment is a relative strength. Distance control is just ok. Biggest weakness is a tendency to pull putts especially on long and/or uphill putts.

If you said those numbers were through 9, you'd be talking more like my game. That's freaking incredible. As someone who is a recent convert to SeeMore, would you say the Smart Square is easier to use, or just different?

If you said those numbers were through 9, you'd be talking more like my game. That's freaking incredible. As someone who is a recent convert to SeeMore, would you say the Smart Square is easier to use, or just different?

Different. I think the RST is still the easiest thing ever for face alignment, but the squares are efficient enough there for me comparatively and most importantly, they are a great down the line alignment aid, much better for me than a single line or dual lines.

Them is some crazy numbers...already..pretty daen impressive man.

Different. I think the RST is still the easiest thing ever for face alignment, but the squares are efficient enough there for me comparatively and most importantly, they are a great down the line alignment aid, much better for me than a single line or dual lines.

With the other lines of the square, doesn't that help make sure the face is square, or is that not as easy as the RST? Man, now I'm really wondering about making the switch to this or staying with the SeeMores.

With the other lines of the square, doesn't that help make sure the face is square, or is that not as easy as the RST? Man, now I'm really wondering about making the switch to this or staying with the SeeMores.

That's exactly what I was saying, the squares work as a face angle indicator, but, they aren't as easy that way as RST is for me, mainly because the RST is literally intended just for that.

In the end with putters, it's different strokes of different folks and that's the beauty of it dude, rock whatever gives you the most confidence.

That's exactly what I was saying, the squares work as a face angle indicator, but, they aren't as easy that way as RST is for me, mainly because the RST is literally intended just for that.

In the end with putters, it's different strokes of different folks and that's the beauty of it dude, rock whatever gives you the most confidence.

Yeah, I forgot how to read until just now, and now what you said makes perfect sense. I would have a lot of confidence if I could just hire you to come putt for me.

Dang Jman, thems impressive results. 25 putts? That is freaking sweet. This is really interesting me with the results you and War have been having. The more I see pictures of it the more the head doesn't seem as bad to me. It still seems quite big though which messes with me. That said, results are results. Definitely looking forward to more feedback from the other testers.

Dang Jman, thems impressive results. 25 putts? That is freaking sweet. This is really interesting me with the results you and War have been having. The more I see pictures of it the more the head doesn't seem as bad to me. It still seems quite big though which messes with me. That said, results are results. Definitely looking forward to more feedback from the other testers.

Checkered,

I think it's the color and shape that make the Smart Square appear bigger in pictures. It's definitely a mid sized mallet and not one of those uber big ones. Feels quite comfortable in hand. Well balanced.

Back