The 2013-14 College football thread (SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting comment that I heard on the radio last week about this.

Local sports station was taking calls from UGA fans asking who they would root for if UGA and an undefeated Bama are in the SECCG. Not all, but lots of fans said they would root for Bama so that the SEC NC streak stayed intact.

In my opinion, that's a horrible position to take. if you're UGA, you're playing for the Sugar Bowl instead of the Outback Bowl. Hoping to lose so that another team from your conference does better (and then comes into your state in recruiting with another NC ring) is just a ridiculous position.

Wow, I have not heard that in the past. That is weak. I know you would not hear too many fans of other schools feel that way.
Auburn fans are not going to be rooting for Alabama.
UF fans are not rooting for other SEC schools.

Are UGA fans that much into "the south" compared to having a relevant program?

That JB is what I was talking about with some SEC fans not being true supporters of their teams.

That JB is what I was talking about with some SEC fans not being true supporters of their teams.

To be fair, when I was living in the midwest, during the NCAA basketball season, I watched and heard many an IU fan cheer for Purdue, Michigan and Ohio St.

Taking a select few is far different than the overall feeling.

Wow, I have not heard that in the past. That is weak. I know you would not hear too many fans of other schools feel that way.
Auburn fans are not going to be rooting for Alabama.
UF fans are not rooting for other SEC schools.

Are UGA fans that much into "the south" compared to having a relevant program?

I would pretty much only pull for Bama If it somehow benefited Auburn directly, or if playing Florida, I will be very conflicted if they play osu

To be fair, when I was living in the midwest, during the NCAA basketball season, I watched and heard many an IU fan cheer for Purdue, Michigan and Ohio St.

Taking a select few is far different than the overall feeling.

Nobody has ever confused iU fans as smart. But that's also really stupid. Especially since big ten basketball has never been as good as SEC football is right now b

I think you find the fan bases of schools that aren't winning championships being the ones cheering loudly for the conference.

UF, LSU and Auburn fans aren't doing it. Bama fans are, because they realize that they are the defacto SEC right now.

I was pretty shocked to hear UGA "fans" choosing the SEC over their team. Pretty ridiculous.

As a UGA fan/alum, I know the result of other SEC schools winning the NC. They march right into Georgia and walk away with recruits. I

Same thing with Clemson and FSU. I think FSU is the best team in the country, and my bet is they win the NC. I won't be cheering "ACC" though, because I know the NC will just make FSU's recruiting that much more impossible to keep up with.

Plus, their fans are already annoying enough as it is...

Nobody has ever confused iU fans as smart. But that's also really stupid. Especially since big ten basketball has never been as good as SEC football is right now b

the top maybe 2 teams in the sec football are good on a given year . the rest of the conference over rated in my opinion. the Sec added 2 middle of the road historically big 12 teams in A&M and Missouri and they are now top 10 teams mopping up? thoughts?

the top maybe 2 teams in the sec football are good on a given year . the rest of the conference over rated in my opinion. the Sec added 2 middle of the road historically big 12 teams in A&M and Missouri and they are now top 10 teams mopping up? thoughts?

Just not accurate based on records against others.
Im not a SEC fan, but denying their complete dominance the last decade is crazy.
They are normally 4 deep with UF, Alabama, Auburn, LSU. Then add others such as UGA and you have plenty of top schools year in and year out.

I wouldn't put too much into Missouri and A&M doing well this year as a statement against the SEC.

Missouri has played a largely soft schedule, including UGA when it was at its least healthy. A&M has also played a soft schedule and has possibly the best player in the country.

The SEC does get overrated, and it has been top heavy the last couple seasons, but it is still the best football conference. The gap is closing, though. The PAC 12 and ACC are catching up.

I wouldn't put too much into Missouri and A&M doing well this year as a statement against the SEC.

Missouri has played a largely soft schedule, including UGA when it was at its least healthy. A&M has also played a soft schedule and has possibly the best player in the country.

The SEC does get overrated, and it has been top heavy the last couple seasons, but it is still the best football conference. The gap is closing, though. The PAC 12 and ACC are catching up.

I'm not sure A&M has played a soft sec schedule this year, they have had to play Auburn, Alabama and Ole Miss and have LSU coming up.

It does seem like this year is the most top heavy the SEC has been, there is Alabama, and then everyone else. We will find out if Auburn is anywhere close to their level in a few weeks, but it certainly doesn't seem like anyone is.

Just not accurate based on records against others.
Im not a SEC fan, but denying their complete dominance the last decade is crazy.
They are normally 4 deep with UF, Alabama, Auburn, LSU. Then add others such as UGA and you have plenty of top schools year in and year out.

im not denying the dominance. just find it weird that they add 2 out of conference programs not high profile programs and they are doing well. the Oregon and Ohio states get penalized when they struggle against teams. but the top teams in the sec struggle and loose to the tenn, vandy, ole miss and miss st its no different.

im not denying the dominance. just find it weird that they add 2 out of conference programs not high profile programs and they are doing well. the Oregon and Ohio states get penalized when they struggle against teams. but the top teams in the sec struggle and loose to the tenn, vandy, ole miss and miss st its no different.

Well it helped that T A&M had recently hired an upcoming offensive coach, and then there is that Johnny football guy.

Missouri won what? 4 games last year? They had a pretty similar run 4 or 5 years ago in the Big 12. But don't get me wrong, Missouri is not an elite SEC team.

Grading the SEC overall by Mizzou and A&M would be like judging the ACC basketball by BC & Notre Dame.

It's easy, Missouri and A&M now have SEC Speed®.

I would pretty much only pull for Bama If it somehow benefited Auburn directly, or if playing Florida, I will be very conflicted if they play osu

You would root for tOSU just for me and you know it.

SEC teams get too much credit thats why they get in the position to Play for the NC a playoff system will help that. tell my why is LSU ranked #13 they have 2 losses against unranked teams ole miss and Georgia who has 3 losses one being against vandy. if that was in another conference they would be ranked in #20's or not even ranked.

SEC teams get too much credit thats why they get in the position to Play for the NC a playoff system will help that. tell my why is LSU ranked #13 they have 2 losses against unranked teams ole miss and Georgia who has 3 losses one being against vandy. if that was in another conference they would be ranked in #20's or not even ranked.

Maybe, but really you have to ask yourself a simple question then. How does one get credit across a multi conference game like college football.
The answer is rather simple. By beating the other conferences. The SEC has done that for a decade.

The reason for the mystique and overrating of the SEC is because of schools like Ohio St. They were big and bad and better than everybody. Then they played in the big game and got their a$$ handed to them.

Maybe, but really you have to ask yourself a simple question then. How does one get credit across a multi conference game like college football.
The answer is rather simple. By beating the other conferences. The SEC has done that for a decade.

The reason for the mystique and overrating of the SEC is because of schools like Ohio St. They were big and bad and better than everybody. Then they played in the big game and got their a$$ handed to them.

I'd just like to point out the one against Florida wasn't their fault they had no business being in that game. Something like 5 people above them in the polls lost in the last two weeks. :alien:

If Alabama picks up a loss against LSU or Auburn but still win the SEC title game, does the Tide get a nod over an undefeated FSU, tOSU, or Oregon team?

The SEC has come up big in big games that is true. i think you need more of sample size i mean if they had a 6 team playoff. you would get to see the top sec teams play the Oregon, tOSU and Florida st's every year. who wouldnt want to see that.

If Alabama picks up a loss against LSU or Auburn but still win the SEC title game, does the Tide get a nod over an undefeated FSU, tOSU, or Oregon team?

Not the first two for sure. Maybe tOSU but I doubt even that.

Had tOSU been eligible last year I think they would have been in the NC.

i think FSU is the best team i want to see FSU vs Alabama

The SEC has come up big in big games that is true. i think you need more of sample size i mean if they had a 6 team playoff. you would get to see the top sec teams play the Oregon, tOSU and Florida st's every year. who wouldnt want to see that.

So what you are saying is that teams that go undefeated should get a shot regardless of who they play, despite given every opportunity to succeed in the past and falling flat?

Arent you doing the same thing to Ohio St and Oregon that you are for the SEC teams? You are assuming they can compete, because of beating average teams and in the past when they have done so, they have failed.

And if that is the case, shouldnt the ACC get a shot? The Big 12? and others? Why does the Big 10 get a shot and the Pac 12, and not others?

Teams have to earn the right for dominance in my opinion and there is only one conference that has done that for 10 years. And sadly its not the conference I root for.

I certainly hope not

You would root for tOSU just for me and you know it.

I would not pull for any team in that situation, I might pull against one team a little less than the other. Best case scenario in that situation would be a giant hole opening up on the field and swallowing both teams whole.

Certainly some of the SEC reputation is well earned. However personally I think over this dominance stretch the SEC has had two great teams each year followed by two or three above average teams in the same year. I don't think they have that this year. Maybe it's just the conspiracy theorist in me but ESPN and CBS have huge $$$ invested in the $EC tv contract. A highly touted conference and teams in the press will draw higher viewer ratings.

It behooves those two TV entities to talk up the SEC, even when having a down year like this year.

They also have HUGE contracts with other conferences as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back