The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much of that could be pointed to your weight getting to your toes or even you stop turning?

None of it. Or all of it. Or somewhere in between.

Leave it to a lawyer to be vague

Leave it to a lawyer to be vague

Ha -- it has nothing to do with being a lawyer. It has everything to do with being an amateur (and mediocre) golfer.

Finished the lesson. The instructor had me strengthen my grip a touch, had me not bend the knees as much and hinge more at the hips. Then worked on keeping my back to the target longer and dropping my hands a little, as well as get the feeling of swinging to the right to stop coming over the top.

Going to be spending a lot of time at the range hoping to make these things feel more natural.

Went to the range tonight to work on somethings since I played like a donkey on Sunday at the Ohio gathering. Things to work on staying behind the ball especially with driver/3wd and hybo bad bad habit of sliding and not rotating causing the rights :banghead: also worked on staying tall and getting the weight transferred to my right side and then back through.

It ended up a really good range session and the new grips with extra wraps under them feel amazing. I hit two medium buckets with a break for putting in between the buckets.

It feels like it has been forever since I've been to the range (not true). I am anxious to have a session built around the Pelz swings and that One In One Out game.

Had what felt like a fairly productive range session last night. Working on reinforcing what I learned at my lesson. Going to take some time to get things ingrained into memory, but I felt good when I did do things right. Spent a little while chipping to a few different points and felt really good about that part of things. Love me them SCOR wedges. Overall, was good but still a lot of work to do. Planning to head to the garage to work things a bit more here shortly.

Awesome range time tonight. Hitting spots with every club, timing and pace was great for the first time in a while.

**Practice**
Stretch- 10 min
Warm up- 10 swings
---Range:
Wedges
Short irons
Mid irons
Long irons
Fairway wood
Driver
---Short game:
Pitch shots- 15 min
Chipping- 15 min
Putting- 15 min
---Play 9
--- at home:
Mon-Wed-Fri> Cardio- treadmill (2min run, 1min walk for 10 sets)
Tue-Thur> Strength- curls, bench, flys, rows, squats, dead lift, lunges & abs
--- off days:
Sat-Sun> Yoga, stretch & clean bag, shoes and clubs

After my first lesson here are the results of 2 sessions on the range:

Short Irons/Wedges: Very consistent contact, no fliers on any of the shots I hit. At my skill level very happy with the ball flight.

6 iron: I hit a handful fat, but for the most part was really happy with the contact. A few shots were 5-15 yards right of target but all were straight or had some subtle right to left movement that I haven't had before. Much preferable to slicing it.

Driver: Still having a lot of trouble with too much fade or slicing. I think I need to put more work in starting the swing with my legs instead of arms.

Met with my neighbor and we worked on my game for a bit, had me flare out my feet more for rotation and opening up the face on my back swing. I was hitting them well.

After my first lesson here are the results of 2 sessions on the range:

Short Irons/Wedges: Very consistent contact, no fliers on any of the shots I hit. At my skill level very happy with the ball flight.

6 iron: I hit a handful fat, but for the most part was really happy with the contact. A few shots were 5-15 yards right of target but all were straight or had some subtle right to left movement that I haven't had before. Much preferable to slicing it.

Driver: Still having a lot of trouble with too much fade or slicing. I think I need to put more work in starting the swing with my legs instead of arms.

With drive smooth and easy is longer and straighter than trying to kill it.

My annual $10K 2 man scramble down in Austin is 2 weeks from now and will be concentrating more on my driver, wedge shots and putting leading into that weekend. I have 3 rounds scheduled between now and next weekend and will try and get a good range session in before I leave.

Anyone have any good drills or practice techniques when you are just concentrating on hitting a club or 2 in the bag, either for the range or on the course? Also would like to hear what is the one putting drill you like to do on the green? Thanks guys!

The kids asked so I took them to the range. I didn't really hit balls but instead watched and coached them. It was fun. My son was especially receptive to my corrections and could see immediate correlations between results and an item or two I suggested to him. It was a little harder with my daughter who showed that she is just a 6 year old, but still good - especially since her last ball was her best hit and she left on a positive note. Afterward they both said they had fun and asked if I would teach them more. I loved that.

I probably hit no more than 10 shots myself. I made a correction to strengthen my grip and was really hitting some nice iron shots. With no warmup I was comfortably and effortlessly flying the 9 iron high and straight, well past the 148 pin. That is l o n g for me.

Overall, it was a really nice afternoon.

T4K that is awesome buddy that the kids are really enjoying the range and learning the swing and game.

I hit a small bucket tonight myself concentrating on my weak points. The driver and 3wd were much better tonight than last time on the course. I have to remember to not try and kill the ball.

My annual $10K 2 man scramble down in Austin is 2 weeks from now and will be concentrating more on my driver, wedge shots and putting leading into that weekend. I have 3 rounds scheduled between now and next weekend and will try and get a good range session in before I leave.

Anyone have any good drills or practice techniques when you are just concentrating on hitting a club or 2 in the bag, either for the range or on the course? Also would like to hear what is the one putting drill you like to do on the green? Thanks guys!
6 putts from a foot
10 from 3 feet
6 from 6 feet
walk off 13.5 paces, set up a 3 foot radius w tees, try to get them within the tees. Ideally three feet is tap in for most.

also set two tees as a gate, squares up face.

I put my clubs away 2 weeks ago thinking my season was done, but a day in the 60s in November is just too nice to pass up. Got out to the range and for giggles I added some really old (1970s) irons that was my first set of clubs since I got serious about golf. It didn't take me long to realize why I'm using SGIs instead of 1970's blades. First few swings with them just plain hurt. Once I stopped messing around, I was hitting my irons pretty well with a nice smooth swing, and switched to my driver which killed me during my last round. Initially I was struggling with it, but got into a groove and was hitting some nice straight shots. Even had a few draws which I never hit. Don't know if I'll make it out to the course anymore this year, but was nice to have a good range session. Afterwards, I hit the practice green and was really enjoying myself. I had a few bad lags, but made the second putt from about 10 feet, which was really nice.

Spent two hours practicing between the range and the practice green. Short game was pretty good. Putting = so/so.

Trying to see if I can get out to the range within the next week or so while it is still in the mid 50's here in CT....mostly just to keep the swing mechanics going and maintaining the grip. Trying to hit off of grass while I can before it starts to freeze...really hate hitting off of mats. Bought a 6 ft putting green for the garage...even though it's not very long or filled with breaks, I can still work on squaring the putter face at impact and work on the roll...

got a 9 hole practice round in today. Seeing some good progress already with the changes on my driver swing. I was seeing a nice slight draw which was really good to see. Iron shots were on point today and putted reasonably well. Overall a productive practice round and I feel good about how things are going.

Good couple of hours practise in today. After having a few days off and plenty of time to think swing thoughts I seem to have developed a subtle draw, I'm not complaining!

Concentrated on timing and followthrough with my driver/3w and hybo and it's working wonders. Even bagged a free sleeve of Callaway Hex Black Tour balls too. Only downside is my head covers got soaked as I left them on the floor while swinging and they soaked up loads of moisture, on the radiator drying out now! :banana:

Weather is looking good for the next couple of days so hopefully this translates to the course.

I also got in a practice 9 yesterday. Conditions were much better than I expected which was nice. My game however, was highly interesting. I've been working on letting my wrists cock at the top of my backswing, which makes every swing feel like I'm overswinging and it just doesn't feel comfortable yet. That being said though, I hit a few really beautiful iron shots with straight to slight draw trajectories, which I almost never do. The driver with wrist cock is still a work in progress - half of them were really solid, and the other were just downright misses, but I'm starting to feel it better. And starting to see straight shots and high draws is a really nice thing for me.

I've also been working on having my shoulders parallel to the target line, rather than open to it (this is the cause of my natural fade). Encouraging results from that, as I said, starting to see straighter balls to slight draws. An interesting prospect now is the ability for me to adjust my shoulders in order to have an in to out or an out to in path on command - hopefully this leads to me being able to hit either a cut or draw on command, which would be outstanding for my iron game.

The two distressing pieces were the wedges and some of the play around the greens. Hit way too many fat wedges, and slider wedges (club slides under ball, goes too high and too short). That will definitely be a subject at my next lesson. Hit a number of good putts, but also some terrible ones, so it averaged out to a so so day. I need some work chipping around the greens for sure - I used to go practice short game at least once a week after work, but with how early it gets dark I haven't been able to, and it showed.

All in all, it was a productive practice round - not a good round, but a productive round. I know what needs work and what is coming along well.

Im going to hit 50 balls before my round today with nothing but my 7i. My iron play has deteriorated to the point that its an absolute joke and ive had enough.

I hit a bucket of balls and spent some time on the putting green this afternoon. Wind was gusting 25MPH+, so putting was pretty pointless. It's never fun when the ball is moving before you putt it.

I found a part of the range that has bushes blocking the wind. Lots of balloon balls from wind gusts, but I could tell that I was striking it well. I saw a tip from Michael Breed last night on making a proper shoulder turn and avoiding a steep/over the top move. I tried it, and the difference was really noticeable, especially with my irons. I'm going to keep working on that move, along with my tempo.

I saw a tip from Michael Breed last night on making a proper shoulder turn and avoiding a steep/over the top move. I tried it, and the difference was really noticeable, especially with my irons. I'm going to keep working on that move, along with my tempo.
I'd be interested in that tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back