Year of the Loft - TaylorMade

Too funny seeing this. I was at the range last night playing with my loft on my SLDR and ended up increasing it 1 degree with much better results.

I had some interesting experiences with loft this year. I played a driver for a bit at 8.5(the lowest I have ever played) and then played one up to 11.5. Just shows you how much fitting can do for you. Find the right pairing and it's all good. I have become more of a fan of a higher loft, lower spinning head. I even played a shorter shaft at one point in the year. Way ahead of the times, that will come in 2015 hehe

Best driving results I've ever had has been with the TM SLDR at 12° and the Amp Cell at 11.5°. After years of hitting a 9.5° driver, I'm a believer.

Last year at this time I was playing 9 degrees of loft. Now I am playing 11.5

I big reason for this I have taken some lessons and I am not coming in as steep with the driver.

Last year when I was demoing the R1 at demo day, and I put this in that thread, TM felt like the optimal launch and spin for tour guys with faster swing speeds was 17 deg launch, 1700 spin. Based on their research, they felt like that was optimal and they were building clubs going forward to help more tour guys achieve that goal. I've been playing 7.5/8.5 deg drivers the past two years. Based on the launch monitors for the Cleveland Black Tour 7.5 stamped, actual not known, was ideal. With the Callaway Razr Fit 8.5 was optimal. This year, after tinkering with my R1 app at the range, I'm playing the R1 at 10.5. With weight/CG more forward, maybe the higher loft on the TMs are needed to get similar launch to another brand's 8.5/9.5. Who knows. Plus, we have no idea what loft we're REALLY playing as the allowed margin for error in stamped vs actual, based on manufacturer tolerances, may be as much as a two degree difference! I see 10.5 on my R1, but, heck, it could be over 11 actual!

I had some interesting experiences with loft this year. I played a driver for a bit at 8.5(the lowest I have ever played) and then played one up to 11.5. Just shows you how much fitting can do for you. Find the right pairing and it's all good. I have become more of a fan of a higher loft, lower spinning head. I even played a shorter shaft at one point in the year. Way ahead of the times, that will come in 2015 hehe

Short shafts have been around since the dawn of time. Unfortunately, they get a bad rep from the press. Short shafts will be at a premium in the near future. People will be lining up for them..... :alien:

On a more serious note, I think that it just comes down to a solid head/shaft fitting. Depending on what shaft works the best for you, it may be better to be a little less/more loft to get the optimum results.

I can honestly say I was way ahead of the curve on this one. I have been playing a 12' stiff R11 for nearly 3 years now. I have tried to knock it out of the bag, but it has taken out all opposition lol. It totally changed my driving game. I have a friend now who went and bought the exact same club, and he is having similar results.

I really like the idea of opening up the possibilities to more loft, it seems like for years it was always, the pros are using low loft you should to if you want more distance, that notion has now made an entire 180, i like it!

I'm in the same boat as a lot of you. I looked at a 10.5 in my latest driver, but when I got my fitting done my launch angle with a 9.5 was optimal for me with the way I attack the ball with my driver, so I stuck with my 9.5. Now if I was to adjust my ball position, then 10.5 would be the way to go and it's possible that my next driver will be a 10.5.

My last driver was 10.5°, I have my R1 set at 10°, but I've set it to 12° a few times and have had pretty good luck.

I guess I'm in serious need of a quality fitting from an experianced fitter. It's hard for me to relate to what I'm hearing here as I'm seeing more distance consistently out of my 9*, which shouldn't be possible at my lowely 96 mph ss.

I guess I'm in serious need of a quality fitting from an experianced fitter. It's hard for me to relate to what I'm hearing here as I'm seeing more distance consistently out of my 9*, which shouldn't be possible at my lowely 96 mph ss.

Depends Duey. If you're putting a lot of spin on the ball, lower lofts may perform better for you.

There is a good chance that you have a strong negative angle of attack with your driver (ie htiting down on the ball) and are thus generating a lot of backspin

Depends Duey. If you're putting a lot of spin on the ball, lower lofts may perform better for you.

There is a good chance that you have a strong negative angle of attack with your driver (ie htiting down on the ball) and are thus generating a lot of backspin

Great point guys, it's been a while since I hit the machine, but do remember my loft in the 14* range and spin numbers well under the 3000 range. I'll look for the numbers real quick.

Due I was in the same boat. With the AMP Cell I saw better distance from the 8.5 and 9.5 settings than I did the 10.5/11.5. I was throwing a ton of spin on the ball and having a head that gave more spin just wasn't a good mix for the higher loft. That being said I switched to a lower spin head and when I was playing it at the same low lofts I was getting nothing for distance. I cranked it up to 11.5 and am seeing better results than I saw with the higher spin head in the lower setting.

Due I was in the same boat. With the AMP Cell I saw better distance from the 8.5 and 9.5 settings than I did the 10.5/11.5. I was throwing a ton of spin on the ball and having a head that gave more spin just wasn't a good mix for the higher loft. That being said I switched to a lower spin head and when I was playing it at the same low lofts I was getting nothing for distance. I cranked it up to 11.5 and am seeing better results than I saw with the higher spin head in the lower setting.

This is pretty exciting to hear as, if the case for me, it would mean pure gain if I can put the right combination together. Back to the drawing board it sounds.

On a more serious note, I think that it just comes down to a solid head/shaft fitting. Depending on what shaft works the best for you, it may be better to be a little less/more loft to get the optimum results.

I agree. I played 10 or 10.5 degree drivers for years before my first real fitting. Since then I've been between 11.5 and 13 degrees and I'm hitting the ball as far as ever.

Too many players think distance comes only from low lofted drivers. Distance comes from being at your optimal loft no matter the number.

I recently adjusted the loft on my R1 up to 12° and saw immediately better results--none of which included higher flight.

Year of the Loft - TaylorMade

I am in the boat of I still like my heads at 9.5 or lower, I have had some success with higher lofts but my numbers still have been better with the lower loft. It's not that I am against loft, I just haven't found a head/shaft combo that I would need more loft. I am glad people are realizing that loft can be your friend.

Love reading the comments on Taylormades facebook page regarding this.

I've heard a lot of guys are going higher with loft....I've always been a 9.5 - 10 degree guy myself. I'm not sure I'll go much higher than that since my ball flight is already way up there. Never know though. Gotta go experimental shaft shopping first :)

I've played 10.5 almost exclusively my entire golf career. I only switched to 9.5 in my Nike VRS because the shaft launch it high. That carried over to my MC Xhot pro, oh I won with that one. I'm back to 10.5* with my Optiforce

Same here. As loft decreases so does directional forgiveness.

Degree of loft is going to be affected by a combination of clubhead speed, attack angle you take to the golf ball and the ball you're playing. Change one of these items and you'll affect what loft produces the best results. It also depends on what you want to see. I know more Tour pros are using lower lofts but some are changing up like TaylorMade has shown. Heck some are doing it from week to week depending on course setup and what they want to be able to do with the golf ball around the course.

Generally speaking most amateur players need more loft because they don't have high clubhead speed, and raising the launch angle helps produce more carry. I'm surprised no one has mentioned Callaways 3Deep. The biggest aspect of that club in my opinion and why it has been well received is partially because of the loft. People are more willing (because of their ego) to play the 3Deep because they say it's a 3 wood, it should have more loft. Well as we all know it's designed similar to a driver, just with more loft.

Definitely an interesting topic!

I know more Tour pros are using lower lofts but some are changing up like TaylorMade has shown. Heck some are doing it from week to week depending on course setup and what they want to be able to do with the golf ball around the course.

One thing of note is that loft on the tour has gone up every single year for close to a decade. Just as shaft length. With computerized fitting being done across the the board and the solid core golf ball being what it is, loft became a companion rather than foe to many guys out there.

Back