"The Big Miss" By Hank Haney

It was funny Carton said that Tiger made Hank millions and Hank owes Tiger his whole career. Well with him only making 50,000 a year plus bonus for majors and the fact that Hank was #6 teacher in country in 2002 and had is own golf schools i think Hank was gonna make millions before he even coached Tiger. Seems like Carton doesnt know much about golf just seems like a Tiger fan. Out of all of this i think Carton is the only one that looks really bad haha

It was funny Carton said that Tiger made Hank millions and Hank owes Tiger his whole career. Well with him only making 50,000 a year plus bonus for majors and the fact that Hank was #6 teacher in country in 2002 and had is own golf schools i think Hank was gonna make millions before he even coached Tiger. Seems like Carton doesnt know much about golf just seems like a Tiger fan. Out of all of this i think Carton is the only one that looks really bad haha

That may be, but he's in the media, and lots of people are talking about him, so whether or not his normal persona is to be a d!ckhead interviewer, it's encouraging a lot of new listeners to go check out his show. And that is a win for him.

I haven't read the book yet but I think I will probably buy it. I have always enjoyed watching Tiger play but never 'liked' him. Lots of #1 athletes are jerks - one notable example is Lance Armstrong (despite the incredible impact he's had on cancer awareness and research) - and it is that makeup that helps them succeed, at the expense of the way they are perceived by the public. That said, so many top athletes are also really great people and make the case that you don't have to be an ass to be a winner. Still, a healthy Tiger that is on form is better for the game, and I'm happy about that. Haney may not have made any new friends with this book but if he is truly as good as he thinks he is, I'll bet we will see him coaching pros again in the future. If they will do anything to win and think that having him as a coach will help with that, it will be all that matters - especially if they're the type of person that has nothing to hide in terms of how they conduct their personal lives.

Last edited:
The book may or may not be hurtfull to Tiger. However he will probably never have the chance to coach another great golfer again.

He stated in his book that he knew from the beginning of being Tigers coach that Tiger would be the last tour player he coached

Tapa Slice

One thing I took away from the book was Hanks obsession with his own work and how it reflected on him. Hank had just as much drive and work ethic if not more then Tiger and you could see that from every quoted conversation in the book. In a way this book was more of a way to defend his work because of all the negative comparisons to Butch Harmon.

Tapa Slice

I'm just about halfway thru now and gotta say that so far Haney comes across a little too timid and almost scared of Tiger and also if I were Mark Omera I'd be upset he wrote about a lot of things that were said. Steepen the two of them that I'm sure was said in confidence. I also do think he makes Tiger look like a cheap douchey uncaring robot.

I'm just about halfway thru now and gotta say that so far Haney comes across a little too timid and almost scared of Tiger and also if I were Mark Omera I'd be upset he wrote about a lot of things that were said. Steepen the two of them that I'm sure was said in confidence. I also do think he makes Tiger look like a cheap douchey uncaring robot.

This is why you need to finish the book lol

Tapa Slice

I just picked this up. After I'm finished I'd be glad to pass it on to another THP'er who wants to read it but not pay Haney lol. As long as I get it back of course.

Just finished this book. Overall it was a good read and probably would've been better for me if all those excerpts didn't leak out. I felt like Haney tried too hard to prove his swing was successful with Tiger especially in the final chapter. Golf fans know it was a helluva run for 6 years. His bitterness towards renting a car, buying takeout and the well known popsicle-gate was kinda annoying. If I crashed at someone's house 100 days a year, I'd grab whatever I want from the fridge. :D

As a Tiger fan, this book reinforces my separation of the golfer from the person. His arrogance and attitude towards others is almost surreal at times. Blaming Haney for a bad round is absurd. On the other hand, it was cool to read about his work ethic in detail and what it takes to achieve golf greatness. We're reminded of the closer he used to be winning over 90% with the lead in the final round. That mental toughness pre-scandal we may never see again. Only time will tell if he can catch Jack.

I just finished the book. Tiger comes off as an aloof, arrogant, self-centered, social dead head, with a tremendous work ethic and drive for perfection. Haney paints himself as a tireless, dedicated coach whose goal is to get Tiger to eliminate or minimize the "big miss."

Of course there are three sides to every story!

I thought what Butch Harmon said was interesting:

"Butch Harmon told the Wall Street Journal he was surprised Haney would write the book, in particular the portions where he referenced Woods' wife and children. And Harmon questioned whether or not Haney planned to write a book all along."It almost seems the way he has everything documented in there -- too many times and dates and places that you wouldn't come up with from memory -- it's like he kept precise notes all along with writing a book in mind," Haney told the newspaper."

The Big Miss by Hank Haney

The Big Miss by Hank Haney

Thanks for moving my post, I searched but didn't find anything.

I'm half way through the book and so far I love it. The insights to how Woodsie treats his camp is more revealing than I thought it would be, I honestly thought it would be a bash fest. The work ethic of Woodsie is incredible and I find it reminiscent of some of the old Hogan stories I've read about, It's pretty impressive. I don't have any contempt for Haney for writing this book at all, I didn't get the impression that this was about money and I don't think he needs it. For me, Hank explains the differences between Butch's thoughts and Hanks thoughts on Woodsie's swing and how to fix Tiger's big miss. So far though my suspicions have been confirmed, Tiger's big miss has nothing to do with golf and everything to do with being a person. I do love him though..

The book kinda made me feel bad for Tiger, honestly. I seriously think he is socially retarded...seems like he closes himself off from everyone. Which would almost explain the sexapalooza he went on...it's the only human contact he understands.

The book kinda made me feel bad for Tiger, honestly. I seriously think he is socially retarded...seems like he closes himself off from everyone. Which would almost explain the sexapalooza he went on...it's the only human contact he understands.

That's an interesting perception and I kind of agree with it. They say he was very antisocial and shy in school, a computer geek and gamer.

I think the book is great and is an accurate description of how Tiger really is. I've read a ton of books on Tiger and they all seem to show this cold, detached person...except for when he wants you around. I think he believes that because he's Tiger Woods, he has to behave differently and I believe his late father had a lot to do with that. Everyone has a story where they've met a "celebrity" and couldn't believe how normal they were. We've all probably also met a "celebrity" who was cold and detached. Hank clearly showed that even to people in Tiger's "inner circle" he could behave like a child, with the silent treatment or not inviting them when he's upset with them.

I still think he's the greatest golfer of his generation and will never discount his accomplishments on the golf course.....but I've lost respect for him as a human being.

I think the book is great and is an accurate description of how Tiger really is. I've read a ton of books on Tiger and they all seem to show this cold, detached person...except for when he wants you around. I think he believes that because he's Tiger Woods, he has to behave differently and I believe his late father had a lot to do with that. Everyone has a story where they've met a "celebrity" and couldn't believe how normal they were. We've all probably also met a "celebrity" who was cold and detached. Hank clearly showed that even to people in Tiger's "inner circle" he could behave like a child, with the silent treatment or not inviting them when he's upset with them.

I still think he's the greatest golfer of his generation and will never discount his accomplishments on the golf course.....but I've lost respect for him as a human being.

I agree and disagree. Yes, I think a lot of his personality issues stem from his father, who sounds to have been a world class b-hole, but I don't think that those severe personality traits are something that can be aquired later in life. I really think some of the wires are just screwed up in his head. Bubba Watson on the other hand to me is someone who is learning to be a b-hole. He still has a personality whereas to me, Tiger never really has. There is not (and in my opinion never has been) any life in his eyes with the exception of when he has an extremely positive or negative experience. He is almost a robot. On the other hand, I don't know the guy and I could be way off base.

That being said, Haney making a big deal about a popsicle was stupid.

Just read the book myself. Got it from the library as I did not want to put any more money in Hank's pockets for writing the book. That being said for the most part I enjoyed the book-quick easy read. I still think, as a professional, revealing details on someone's personal life is off limits. Hank was going through a messy divorce as well. I'm sure he wouldn't want that dragged through the media.

Great read. Loved the insight and for the most part, saw little to complain about in terms of his topics.

Some of it came off a little 'woe is me' or self-promoting, but I looked at it from the perspective of a guy that was doubted and second guessed constantly. That was his chance to tell people to eff themselves and he did it in a pretty low-key way.

Great read. Loved the insight and for the most part, saw little to complain about in terms of his topics.

Some of it came off a little 'woe is me' or self-promoting, but I looked at it from the perspective of a guy that was doubted and second guessed constantly. That was his chance to tell people to eff themselves and he did it in a pretty low-key way.

I enjoyed this as well. Much more so than I anticipated I would.

Same. I thought it really gave a good window into how Tiger is as a player, and also helped me humanize him a bit.

It even made me more impressed with what he achieved (past tense haha?) knowing that he has the same thoughts as we do. Quite simply, he is just amazing at managing the game, his mistakes and his thoughts.

It even made me more impressed with what he achieved (past tense haha?) knowing that he has the same thoughts as we do. Quite simply, he is just amazing at managing the game, his mistakes and his thoughts.

He's a stubborn ba$tard too lol.

I thought the talk about how he started self diagnosing or doing things that he knew made him longer (but less consistent) were funny. I can relate.

You guys got the same impressions out of it that I did.

You guys got the same impressions out of it that I did.

For all the hooplah, I thought it was pretty good.

Back