Official Equipment Pondering Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
What golf balls to use for winter time.
jkame, we look to be about the same handicap. My driver speed is about 100mph and last year I was playing the Callaway Chrome (switched to Chrome + this year), which felt like a rock in the cold.

I tried out the Srixon Q-Star yellow and am sold on that ball for cold weather play. The first time I played it I made my normal adjustment of taking one club more with the irons and promptly airmailed 3 greens in a row, had to readjust back to normal. It's great in the wind, I don't see any noticeable loss of distance off the driver and it stops decently when the greens aren't frozen.

I promptly got online and bought 6 dozen on eBay for $18/per. Also grew to love the yellow (shows up well against our pale bluish white Colorado winter sky) and now play the Callaway in yellow as well.
Check out the Q-Star. :thumb:

That's what I keep reading and that's my #1 miss. I could hit the ball off the fairway and still catch it high on the face with a driver. Don't know how I pull it off but somehow I do and it's making me want to swing that R1 so bad.

Do it. I get to play with cookie quite a lot, and that is his very typical miss. He always gets a nice little draw from it and he still gets it out there, around 240/250 range. He had me contemplating picking up one of these myself.
I really think you need to get one of these out there on the course and try it.

Thanks for all the putter suggestions. Pondering my score today now that I have my new Taylor Made Corza 72 Ghost putter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, Wakit300 for the Q-Star suggestion. I will have to try it this winter. I currently use the Z-Star XV yellow and it's a great ball even though my driver swing speed is around 100mph and under the Srixon recommendation of 110+. The yellow is definitely easier to see in the white stuff and when the greens are frozen, no ball is going to spin. So visibility is the #1 trait I'm looking for.

Do it. I get to play with cookie quite a lot, and that is his very typical miss. He always gets a nice little draw from it and he still gets it out there, around 240/250 range. He had me contemplating picking up one of these myself.
I really think you need to get one of these out there on the course and try it.

I did it, god I'm a sucker for THP review threads hahaha.

Driver is incredibly forgiving out there. I think you'll be pleased dude.

Thanks, Wakit300 for the Q-Star suggestion. I will have to try it this winter. I currently use the Z-Star XV yellow and it's a great ball even though my driver swing speed is around 100mph and under the Srixon recommendation of 110+. The yellow is definitely easier to see in the white stuff and when the greens are frozen, no ball is going to spin. So visibility is the #1 trait I'm looking for.
I'll second the Q-Star. I find it's marshmallow softness ideal for those sub-zero rounds.

You are going to love it. Take the time to get it dialed in correctly for you and I think you will be extremely pleased.

Pondering some bulkier wedges. Hit my brothers jaws today and it's like game improvements vs blades when compared to j40s imo

Pondering some bulkier wedges. Hit my brothers jaws today and it's like game improvements vs blades when compared to j40s imo

RTX CB's?

If you're playing in the cold, the Wilson Staff Duo or 50 Elite are about the softest compression balls you can buy, and they spin pretty good around the greens for a 2 piece ball. And it comes in yellow as well!

Save it for WPF

RTX CB's?

I had some for a quick minute had a bad swing or 2 with them...got pissed and gave them to father in law. Seeing I loved the 588s I probably should have given them a better chance

Should hit the Hopkins before I sent it to Arizona it had a bigger sole than you j40's

I had some for a quick minute had a bad swing or 2 with them...got pissed and gave them to father in law. Seeing I loved the 588s I probably should have given them a better chance

The chutt wedge!! Do it!

SMARTSOLE-FB.jpg

Clicgear has been added to the ponder list!

umysu6ej.jpg

$2.00 is it worth it?

Tappin' til my fingers cramp

I really think you NEED them dude. Niblick reloaded, and better.

Yeah I need to try them first...could at least hold me over til I actually learn how to golf someday

I will own smart sole wedges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back