2013 THP Sarasota Gauntlet Team Challenge

Great pics Trout! Hope to play a round with you soon.

Doing a little bargain shopping with O'Carroll and Bogeybrain at Total Wine last Saturday night. uploadfromtaptalk1384307715052.jpg

Last edited:
In hindsight...a case may have been a little aggressive. Ha.

From the minute of arriving and seeing my buddy Greg in the lobby

Trout.

"You don't even know who I am."

I've had to watch you repeat your perfect swing on two separate gatherings, how do you forget that?

Ass.

I'm going to post a recap or two between doing homework tonight so for the first one I just wanted to talk about the matches on Saturday. In the morning scramble I played with Cookie, h0ss, and JB. I was hoping my distance might be somewhat of a neutralizer in this match but when I saw h0ss I knew he could hit the ball a mile. I'd be lying if I said that Cookie and I weren't a little worried about this match. Cookie and I went 2 up early on and we started to have a bit of swag in our game. I didn't realize it until tonight but I think when JB smashed the 150 marker (this literally happened, smashed it to pieces) on the fly with his tee shot the match started to take a little turn. h0ss stuck the approach to 1 foot and they won that hole and got some momentum. Speed golf Josh and h0ss weren't going to give this match up that was for sure. We were momentarily saved when Cookie started hitting chip shot after chip shot to gimme range. He really put on a chipping clinic and I was just along for the ride.

Cookie and I took the match dormie on #24 (#15) and thought we had it locked up. Well, we were wrong in a big way. I don't remember the 16th hole but they won it. On 17 h0ss decided to crush his second shot to within 2 feet for eagle and the possibility of a push became real. h0ss crushed another tee shot on the final hole that ended up in the rough and Cookie and I had 86 to the hole from the same rough. All 4 of us proceeded to play bad shots and bogey's all around halved the hole and gave Cookie and I a 1 up win. I had such a great time playing with these dudes and I learned a lot during that match just watching these guys get around the course. I probably got close to giving Cookie a few heart attacks (Wide open wedge) but we ham and egged it all the way around the course, it was a pleasure dude. This was my first match at a THP event and I couldn't have asked for a better one. Thank you Cookie, h0ss, and JB for that memory.

In the afternoon I was paired with Trout and we faced Drew714 and bogeybrain. I have never laughed more on a golf course than I did during this round. I don't remember many of the holes and I don't even remember what the match ended at because I was having so much fun. I'll just give some random thoughts here since I can't remember a lot of the match. Watching Trout go around a golf course is amazing. The dude just doesn't miss fairways and he doesn't miss greens. I was playing terrible golf and he just kept pumping me up and carrying me around on his back. We played my ball 2 maybe 3 times I think. I can't wait to get back out on the course with you dude, I had an absolute blast with you as my partner and you are just an all around awesome guy. We're meeting halfway soon man!

Bogeybrain is just a freakin animal! Playing the way you did with a hernia is beyond me bro. This guy was CRUSHING the ball with a 3/4 swing all day. On top of that you had me dying laughing the whole afternoon. I don't remember what hole it was but the match had just gone dormie and we all got in our carts and I heard you tell Drew in so many words that you guys had some work to do. Never gave up and challenged us to the bitter end. I couldn't have asked for a better competitor.

Drew, bro, you're a trip man. I got to play with you twice this weekend and see the javelin both times. Just play your game dude. You show some flashes of awesome golf and you can for sure build on that. I know you are going to keep getting better and I'm excited to follow your progress. Just keep a good attitude and you will go far.

I think the best part of the afternoon was after our match ended and we got some drinks and finished out the course. We all just had a good time playing different clubs and laughing our a**es off. Bogey can hit a flop shot 1 inch in the air and 1 inch forward, true story. Drew can hit bunker shots straight at Trouts face, also a true story. I had a blast with you guys and I will never forget that round of golf. More to come later.

Awesome pics Trout. Thanks.

But you missed the one where I had my birdie chip in, or the 3 wood into the woods. The truly classic moments of the round.

But serious. It was awesome meeting you and playing against you that second round of day one. You and Jordan along with Bogey are awesome to play with. As with all THPers. I had an epic blast this week and can't wait for the next event. Thanks for letting me be a part of it.

But you missed the one where I had my birdie chip in, or the 3 wood into the woods. The truly classic moments of the round.

But serious. It was awesome meeting you and playing against you that second round of day one. You and Jordan along with Bogey are awesome to play with. As with all THPers. I had an epic blast this week and can't wait for the next event. Thanks for letting me be a part of it.

Dude I can't believe I forgot to mention that! That was the best chip shot I've ever witnessed in person. Over a bunker, and trickled down into the cup. I told you dude, your game has flashes of awesomeness. You'll get there dude.

Last edited:
Great writeup Smithfaced. I agree with you about how much I learned about golf and my game this past weekend.

via Tapatalk now Free

Man, I'm pissed I missed the javelin.

via Tapatalk now Free

*club throw*
"Where do I drop from?"
"Somewhere between your club and the water."

Dude I can't believe I forgot to mention that! That was the best chip shot I've ever witnessed in person. Over a bunker, and trickled down into the cup. I told you dude, your game has flashes of awesomeness. You'll get there dude.

That was an awesome shot, and I'm sure I'll be talking about it for a while.

Its all about me finding a rhythm and tempo, once I find my groove I'm a solid shooter but a few bad shots and it becomes a game of mental skill. I'm working on it. But not bad for a dude who went from a 1-2 round a year player to playing 4-6 times a week just 4 months ago. I've gonna from scores in the 120s now down to the 90 with the occasional 80. I'll catch up to you someday. Well, maybe not that 240 yard 3 hybrid. Lol. That's one heck of a shot you have there!

Man, I'm pissed I missed the javelin.

via Tapatalk now Free

The 3 wood throw was epic. I wish someone got it on video. And then Bogeys comments where priceless.

*club throw*
"Where do I drop from?"
"Somewhere between your club and the water."

Thats actually pretty much exactly what happened. And then Bogey trying to selling my club back to me after he found it in the woods.

JB, seriously, can I change my name to Javelin. It would be so much more fitting and has a great story behind it.

I got a great pic of TNT that night. But it snot really a "safe for work" photo. bummer...

I got a great pic of TNT that night. But it snot really a "safe for work" photo. bummer...

Was it taken at 202?

#Roll202

Been out of it for awhile since I got back home. Either I picked something up while in FL or it just straight kicked my butt playing 36, 36, 18. Thanks to JB and War Eagle for setting this up, I had a blast meeting everyone and golfing. Didn't play my best golf over the 2 days, think I wasted it on Fridays rounds. It was a pleasure to play a couple rounds with Tadashi, V. Man, Toad, ATL, Niteowl, Knightlightpro, War Eagle and Troutbum. Special shout out to Trout my cart partner Sunday, I think he saw I was really struggling on Sunday and was doing his best to keep me motivated and in the moment. It was not a round of golf I would like to see again. The shots in my match between both myself and War Eagle were not very pretty, and in the end War took it down.

As for the rest of the people I met, the nights at the hotel by the pool were awesome. Jax is one funny guy. If you've never met him, imagine the voice and humor of Bill Engvall. The first night at the pool I kept trying to place the voice and it finally hit me. His stories are hilarious. The trash talking between Atl and Bogey was awesome, in the end Bogey got the match he wanted and took it down, nothing better then calling your guy out and finishing it. Most of the rest has been said already in the previous posts, so I will leave it at that, and look forward to being able to participate in a future event!

I’ve been writing this over two full days, so beware, it’s LONG!

What a weekend! One for the ages, as they say.
I was originally planning on driving down Friday at lunch and showing for dinner but after hearing that we had tee times, I decided to leave at 0500 and get in that practice round. I showed up for a quick lunch after finding JAX and Greg on the patio. First funny moment took about 3 seconds as I introduced myself to JAX, and he reciprocated with his given name. I must have given him the dumbest look possible and he looked confused why I would stare at him like that. “OK, so who are you, like, your other name?”. So, boy, am I glad I came in for an early start, as that was one fun round, regardless of the tired swings, lost balls, and relentless wind that made some of those holes from the green tees quite long.
JAXgolferJeff, Roy, and I chased Vegan and TNT around the course all day, and had a typical THP blast. Well, we didn’t chase the guys around as much as we did our errant shots, as we spent a lot of time in the long stuff looking for balls. Holy cow, some of the fairways on the front 9 of UP are narrow. In the end, who cares, we had a great time and got to see the layout.
Friday was dinner but I was so tired from being up all day, driving, playing, etc, that I probably wasn’t much company and I was just kind of there, although I always enjoy just sitting around and listening to the banter. No one banters like THPers.

Waiting for a table at Leroy Selmon’s
IMAG0452_zpsbb2fbbda.jpg

Saturday morning. I’ve been to a ton of THP events, but none that were Match Play competition and I was trying to get in the right mood. As I would soon learn, it’s not always easy beating someone you like and making their day not so much fun, but I’ll get to that. My day started with Greg in the cart with me going against O’Carroll and the “Javelin” in team scramble. Greg and I jumped up right away on the first hole but ended up going back and forth and AS for much of the match until I somehow drained a LoNg putt to put us up 3 with 5 to go, I think. We went dormie, then finally took it 4 & 2 for a point for team Vegan. The round was, without question, one of the most fun rounds I’ve ever played with THPers. Top three THP round ever, in my case. We had so much fun, and a couple times I laughed so hard I thought I’d pee. I have never seen a 4 iron go out 100 yards and then make an immediate and abrupt 90 degree turn to the left and go another 150 yards. That shot was beyond a snap hook; it was something unlike any other hook I’ve ever seen. Add in Drew tossing a fairway club towards the very water he had just hit into, and my quip that he should drop “somewhere between your club and the water”, and you could imagine how much fun we had ribbing each other and just trying to have fun. Well, it was fun until I made that long putt, then O’Carroll’s face sagged like I had just kicked his dog to the gators, which made me feel kind of bad, but hey, it was a giant putt!

Saturday A.M. Pics (aka Team Stripe-y Shirts)
DSC00692_zps2542ab36.jpg

DSC00693_zpsea17a914.jpg

DSC00698_zpsd16cbefe.jpg

DSC00701_zps5f54a9e5.jpg

DSC00706_zps71c8d389.jpg

I have a feeling some smack talk was going on here.
DSC00709_zps3b025aa1.jpg

O’Carroll and Drew(Javelin)
DSC00707_zpsa70607c5.jpg

CRAZY drives. Me and O’Carroll both hit balls to within a foot of one another on top of this bunker. Strange, with all that acreage you could land driver shots virtually on top of each other.
DSC00697_zps9a3f0c4c.jpg

Saturday afternoon put me with Captain Vegan and against the one and only ATLbrainedgolfer and Nightowl. I’ve played a few round with Sethlaw before, and I know his game is good, but thought if I could play decent, I might stand a chance. Well, a different ATL showed up that afternoon that I’ve ever seen before. This guy was making long iron shots, long iron shots from the rough, long iron shots from the sand, and don’t even get me started on his chipping. My word, did he put out some amazing chips that were quite literally 4 inches from the hole. I had a hard time deciding whether it was aggravating the heck out of me or fun to watch a buddy play out of his shoes. Oh, and IF he faltered, Nightowl was there to post up a tidy number to keep them halved or even go up another. It was frustrating but still fun as we lost our best ball match.

v.man taking the opportunity for a quick relaxation break.
tmpPhoto_zps0e3cdef7.jpg

Some tired old men (cpljohnst and ATLgolfer) after two rounds.
DSC00705_zps92b41b29.jpg

Saturday night was dinner. WOW, what amazing hamburgers at Square 1. The Bleu Bacon is a “must devour” and should be on every menu in the world. Santa came early this year, and I thank him for that, and we enjoyed our night of hanging out and being loud. Note to self, bring reading glasses for v.man and myself next time so we don’t have to have Milehigh reading us the menu like decrepit 90 year olds.

Speaking of Milehigh, Randy was my match opponent Sunday morning and we were riding around with Knightlightpro and Greg Kulbick. Waterlefe got in my head a bit on the first tee as I promptly got under a 3W and hit a sky-high shot about 120 yards just in front of the ladies tees. Somehow, I ended up getting there and one-putting for par to start the match of on the right foot.
Remember what I said about beating your friends earlier? Well, Randy is another guy that has been at many of the same outings as I and he did not have his A-game and I was up 3 or 4 pretty early and not feeling great about it at all. I wanted whomever I played to have a great day and let the chips fall where they might, it was tough watching him lose over a dozen balls (I lost plenty myself) and get totally frustrated. In the end, I grabbed another point, as did Greg and v.man so we had 3 points on the day and got us out of that hole we were in after day one.

Waiting on the first at Waterlefe.
DSC00704_zps7f387f1e.jpg

DSC00710_zps3d8ab427.jpg

Greg Kulbick lining one up on the troublesome 167 yarder.
DSC00714_zpsd7441e2a.jpg

DSC00715_zps307bd0cb.jpg

Massive pile of sleeves (and crying towels) from the lost balls that day
DSC00717_zps3e7d4efb.jpg

Team Vegan did pretty well, for coming from behind and dealing with some otherworldly play by Seth, (and I guess team Cookie!) and in the end, was just another fantastic outing. Congrats to the winners. There were many out there trying to come after you, but was just not in the cards.

Dinner was smaller Sunday night so we went to KUMO and had some hibachi grilled food and tried to decompress from the weekend.
--- I will probably embarrass Jordan here, but after meeting him, and realizing he’s just as awesome as everyone said after the MC, he did something that should be noted and mimicked by everyone. There was a pretty elderly gentleman out with his family eating across from us that had a “WWII Veteran” hat sitting in front of him. Jordan went over and chatted with him for a few, and shook his hand a couple times, and it was just the coolest thing to watch; and we were. The smile on that veteran’s face after Jordan walked away was a mile wide. I think only a couple of us noticed it, as Jordan was walking back to his seat, and the gentleman told his family “he came over just to thank me”. I’m not sure that has ever happened to this old Patriot, but it was sure nice to see on such an important weekend that golf almost pushed out of our minds.
49da203a-b6d5-42ca-bcf3-df8a12edd858_zps4d2951e6.jpg

After driving home, which was not easy (thanks, Red Bull), I sort of unpacked and plopped on the couch. It was 6PM when I was utterly exhausted and falling asleep and realizing how much happened this weekend.
So here is what I thought of and jotted down before passing out at 8 o’clock:

• University is a great place with some varying nines to really get your attention, whether it be tough, tight holes, or long bomber holes playing however the wind wants you to play.
    IMAG0449_zps4c1ccdb9.jpg

• Waterlefe suited my eye well and I’d like another shot at it down the road, with no pressure to play a match. I think now knowing where to hit would help, and I could take that place to the woodshed. Oh, the 203 par 3? High draw hybrid to about 17 feet right of the hole. I had more trouble with the one by the water that was only about 167.
  • I had not yet met half of the people at this event, and they were all typical, awesome, fun, THPers.
  • It was good seeing Ms. Morgan after her skipping the Callaway event at Mission Inn.
  • If I had a daughter, I would throw her at Smithfaced.
  • I never get tired of the wildlife on FLA courses.

Snapper!
DSC00702_zps75a6e855.jpg
DSC00708_zpsf557b136.jpg
I saw one flying over and thought it was a damn pterodactyl.
DSC00713_zps47b27443.jpg
Waterlefe.
IMAG0455-1_zps41debe54.jpg
This little dude was at U.P.​

• Ryan should get a million thanks for putting this together.
  • The drive home is 100 times longer than the one to an event.
  • I know it is said by every participant of every event and outing, but it’s true; the people, the fun, the golf, the thought and care and planning that goes into these is none other than top notch. I have many more friends because of this place . Like-minded souls getting together to play a game they love. That is THP brotherhood (and sisterhood, too!).
  • I can't wait to do it all over again.

Thanks for the recap and all the Pics T0AD

Awesome recap, Toad!

Awesome recap toad ! And yes Jordan is pretty awesome ! I'm becoming very addicted to Thp outings. The withdrawal on the following weekend is horrible.

It’s time for my overdue recap.

Everything started on Friday around 3PM when niteowl03 (Aaron) showed up at my house where we would leave for the airport. BS’ed for a few minutes and then off to the airport we went and uneventfully landed in Tampa at around 10:30 I believe. Shortly after deboarding we ran into Smithfaced (Jordan) whom I had not seen since the Morgan Cup. Jordan is just a phenomenal guy that really gets what THP is all about.

After quickly gathering our luggage we make the stroll to the rental car area only to be lost for 15 minutes before finally finding the Avis counter. We wait in line for another 15 minutes and then the sales rep puts the hard press on Aaron to upgrade from an Impala to anything bigger. This, no exaggeration, goes on a solid 30 minutes while Jordan and I are just standing over there shaking our heads. In the end, they were out of small cars and the van upgrade is given for free. Finally, at around 11:30 we leave the airport and start the drive to Bradenton. Didn’t get lost and arrive at the hotel around 12:30-12:45AM where JB is waiting for me…..quite impatiently I might add. Haha

Quick drive in the tour van to his house where I’m greeted by Duke, Ellie, and then Morgan moments later. No time for chit chat as we have tee times starting in like 5 hours from this point. I get unpacked, fall asleep for around 2 hours…….not enough.

5:30AM comes early…way too early and then upon arrival at the course we are greeted by Freddie & Chris (knightlightpro) and then Ryan shortly thereafter. Everyone begins to gather on the range and 7AM is here before we know it, it’s go time!!

The Saturday morning match was Smithfaced & I vs JB & h0ss. We get up early with some decent pars and then seem to stay anywhere from 1-3 up through 15 where we finally get them dormie. And the wheels fall off. We bogey 16, they par and take it. 17 sees h0ss with the eagle on his own with a 235y hybrid to 3 feet. To 18 we go where none of us played it well and we are all left with 8-12 footers for par. No one makes it so we win the match 1 up.

Highlights from the round:

JB killing the 150 marker on the fly with driver, couldn’t stop laughing – that took serious talent.
H0ss with some phenomenal iron shots giving them birdies and continually cutting into our lead. And then how he played 17 was just perfect….and there was nothing we could do.

It’s been awhile since I played a round of golf with Josh and I thoroughly enjoyed it although I know he was not playing as well as I’ve seen him before. H0ss was awesome to play with also and showed multiple highlights of brilliance with an iron in his hand…..Jordan and I just ham & egged it about as well as 2 mid handicaps can.

We had a solid 90 minutes between the end of round 1 and the start of round 2 so was able to hang out with everyone, tally scores, make some updates for the forum all while grabbing some much needed grub.

My Saturday afternoon match saw cpljohnst (Barry) and I taking on milehighgolfer & knightlightpro. This match is about to get started and I just want to sleep…..I was dead to the world and the 3 Monsters and 5 hour energy had yet to kick in. I had to really make a concerted effort just to feel like I would make contact. Anywho, enough about me being tired!

Match got started and I was struggling but luckily Barry was not….think I won the first hole with a par before disappearing for the rest of the front 9. Barry nor I could get a putt to drop but we seemed to maintain a 1-3 hole lead for most of the front. Made the turn and I finally came to life and started hitting some golf shots while I could see Barry starting to get a bit tired. The match ended on the 16th green after a LONG day on the golf course. It was definitely an enjoyable round of golf with Barry, Chris, and Randy – my first time playing with any of them and we seemed to be laughing about something all the way around the course.

Saturday night was dinner at Burger21 (I think that’s right) and we showed up a bit early………and I had already consumed a few vodka’s on an empty stomach so I was feeling pretty darn good. I don’t remember a lot from this night except:

- Avoiding the burger that had Jardonnaise on it
- Chatting up Trout Bum’s (Mark) wife and realizing the next day I may have said some inappropriate things
- Shock at receiving a bill that only had one drink on it (THANK YOU mystery meal buyer person)!!

Finally caught up on some sleep Saturday night and Sunday morning we are off to Waterlefe. Boy oh boy, what a fun and difficult track!! Luckily I was not hungover. Was greeted early at the course by Trout Bum who was overly gracious with a Starbucks gift card for each of his teammates (did he do this after learning that we actually had a chance to win? Haha)!!

After hearing niteowl get chewed out for cursing across the range it was time to go play some golf. Sunday singles was JB, O’Carroll, RPBgator, and myself. Ugly start with Pete and I halving the first hole with a triple…but luckily it got better after that as I think I had 3 or 4 pars and got up several holes early on. I felt bad for Pete as I could tell he wasn’t feeling great and he did not have his game with him that he wanted to. Could’ve been a great match I honestly believe if both of us had our A game that day. Heck, no one played too great but we all had a blast I believe until the back 9 when the world came to a screaching halt as ATLGolfer lost all ability to golf his ball. I guess he decided that misery loves company and we would be the company. Laughingly true but Seth knows I love him! Hahaha

Into the clubhouse we go where we confirm that #TeamCookie snuck out a ½ point victory over #TeamWarEagle. Proud of my team playing some solid golf all weekend – we knew we had a solid team setup for success and we were able to pull out enough points. Would love to go to battle with those 3 THP’ers again – just great people!

So, the back 9 was slow and no one was playing too great. Pete & I wrapped up our match mid-way through the back and then just goofed off while Roy and JB took their match to 18. Roy is a blast to golf with! The smile he has never leaves his face and I look forward to playing a round of golf with him again. JB was not so happy…….thanks to getting lawyered.

Sunday night we ended up meeting the crew at the local Chop Suey house. Everything was calm…..then niteowl03 arrived. Whew, he took the place by storm! Was this his first time ever drinking? Anywho, I got to sit between Jordan and the Attorney and we all shared some good laughs…..mostly at Seth’s expense. Got back to Josh’s place, watched the Cowboys get their ass kicked into the 3rd quarter and I was out.

Monday morning came and it was time to hit Riverstrand. JB and I got there almost 2 hours before our tee time and spent some time on the range & practice area. Randy showed up shortly after we did and Wardy came sprinting in 4 minutes prior to tee time (and those little legs can move when they really need to). We had a fun afternoon on the course passing around the Big Numbers coin and unfortunately Josh jammed his hand pretty bad on a shot from the FW on 9. That shot plus the fact that he had a deliverable due at 5 that afternoon was someone’s way of telling him to go home. We were waiting on every shot on the front 9 so I couldn’t blame him one bit. Back 9 was more of the same: good shots & bad shots. Lil Tiger played some solid golf (even on front and plus 4 on back).

Post round I taught Lil Tiger something about match play. If we had been playing, he would’ve beat me 3&2 (Cookie close standards applying of course) and YET he beat me by 16 STROKES on the day. Match play can be a crazy beast!!

Wardy took me back to the airport and it was time to return to TX. To everyone that attended: THANK YOU!! It was one hella fun weekend that I hope to repeat again in the near future. Ryan: thanks for putting everything together – tremendous job on both the course selection and the rates you got for the group! Josh & Morgan: my biggest thanks for saving my pocketbook and letting me crash at your place!!! Duke & Ellie: much love as always! :D

It’s time for my overdue recap.

Everything started on Friday around 3PM when niteowl03 (Aaron) showed up at my house where we would leave for the airport. BS’ed for a few minutes and then off to the airport we went and uneventfully landed in Tampa at around 10:30 I believe. Shortly after deboarding we ran into Smithfaced (Jordan) whom I had not seen since the Morgan Cup. Jordan is just a phenomenal guy that really gets what THP is all about.

After quickly gathering our luggage we make the stroll to the rental car area only to be lost for 15 minutes before finally finding the Avis counter. We wait in line for another 15 minutes and then the sales rep puts the hard press on Aaron to upgrade from an Impala to anything bigger. This, no exaggeration, goes on a solid 30 minutes while Jordan and I are just standing over there shaking our heads. In the end, they were out of small cars and the van upgrade is given for free. Finally, at around 11:30 we leave the airport and start the drive to Bradenton. Didn’t get lost and arrive at the hotel around 12:30-12:45AM where JB is waiting for me…..quite impatiently I might add. Haha

Quick drive in the tour van to his house where I’m greeted by Duke, Ellie, and then Morgan moments later. No time for chit chat as we have tee times starting in like 5 hours from this point. I get unpacked, fall asleep for around 2 hours…….not enough.

5:30AM comes early…way too early and then upon arrival at the course we are greeted by Freddie & Chris (knightlightpro) and then Ryan shortly thereafter. Everyone begins to gather on the range and 7AM is here before we know it, it’s go time!!

The Saturday morning match was Smithfaced & I vs JB & h0ss. We get up early with some decent pars and then seem to stay anywhere from 1-3 up through 15 where we finally get them dormie. And the wheels fall off. We bogey 16, they par and take it. 17 sees h0ss with the eagle on his own with a 235y hybrid to 3 feet. To 18 we go where none of us played it well and we are all left with 8-12 footers for par. No one makes it so we win the match 1 up.

Highlights from the round:

JB killing the 150 marker on the fly with driver, couldn’t stop laughing – that took serious talent.
H0ss with some phenomenal iron shots giving them birdies and continually cutting into our lead. And then how he played 17 was just perfect….and there was nothing we could do.

It’s been awhile since I played a round of golf with Josh and I thoroughly enjoyed it although I know he was not playing as well as I’ve seen him before. H0ss was awesome to play with also and showed multiple highlights of brilliance with an iron in his hand…..Jordan and I just ham & egged it about as well as 2 mid handicaps can.

We had a solid 90 minutes between the end of round 1 and the start of round 2 so was able to hang out with everyone, tally scores, make some updates for the forum all while grabbing some much needed grub.

My Saturday afternoon match saw cpljohnst (Barry) and I taking on milehighgolfer & knightlightpro. This match is about to get started and I just want to sleep…..I was dead to the world and the 3 Monsters and 5 hour energy had yet to kick in. I had to really make a concerted effort just to feel like I would make contact. Anywho, enough about me being tired!

Match got started and I was struggling but luckily Barry was not….think I won the first hole with a par before disappearing for the rest of the front 9. Barry nor I could get a putt to drop but we seemed to maintain a 1-3 hole lead for most of the front. Made the turn and I finally came to life and started hitting some golf shots while I could see Barry starting to get a bit tired. The match ended on the 16th green after a LONG day on the golf course. It was definitely an enjoyable round of golf with Barry, Chris, and Randy – my first time playing with any of them and we seemed to be laughing about something all the way around the course.

Saturday night was dinner at Burger21 (I think that’s right) and we showed up a bit early………and I had already consumed a few vodka’s on an empty stomach so I was feeling pretty darn good. I don’t remember a lot from this night except:

- Avoiding the burger that had Jardonnaise on it
- Chatting up Trout Bum’s (Mark) wife and realizing the next day I may have said some inappropriate things
- Shock at receiving a bill that only had one drink on it (THANK YOU mystery meal buyer person)!!

Finally caught up on some sleep Saturday night and Sunday morning we are off to Waterlefe. Boy oh boy, what a fun and difficult track!! Luckily I was not hungover. Was greeted early at the course by Trout Bum who was overly gracious with a Starbucks gift card for each of his teammates (did he do this after learning that we actually had a chance to win? Haha)!!

After hearing niteowl get chewed out for cursing across the range it was time to go play some golf. Sunday singles was JB, O’Carroll, RPBgator, and myself. Ugly start with Pete and I halving the first hole with a triple…but luckily it got better after that as I think I had 3 or 4 pars and got up several holes early on. I felt bad for Pete as I could tell he wasn’t feeling great and he did not have his game with him that he wanted to. Could’ve been a great match I honestly believe if both of us had our A game that day. Heck, no one played too great but we all had a blast I believe until the back 9 when the world came to a screaching halt as ATLGolfer lost all ability to golf his ball. I guess he decided that misery loves company and we would be the company. Laughingly true but Seth knows I love him! Hahaha

Into the clubhouse we go where we confirm that #TeamCookie snuck out a ½ point victory over #TeamWarEagle. Proud of my team playing some solid golf all weekend – we knew we had a solid team setup for success and we were able to pull out enough points. Would love to go to battle with those 3 THP’ers again – just great people!

So, the back 9 was slow and no one was playing too great. Pete & I wrapped up our match mid-way through the back and then just goofed off while Roy and JB took their match to 18. Roy is a blast to golf with! The smile he has never leaves his face and I look forward to playing a round of golf with him again. JB was not so happy…….thanks to getting lawyered.

Sunday night we ended up meeting the crew at the local Chop Suey house. Everything was calm…..then niteowl03 arrived. Whew, he took the place by storm! Was this his first time ever drinking? Anywho, I got to sit between Jordan and the Attorney and we all shared some good laughs…..mostly at Seth’s expense. Got back to Josh’s place, watched the Cowboys get their ass kicked into the 3rd quarter and I was out.

Monday morning came and it was time to hit Riverstrand. JB and I got there almost 2 hours before our tee time and spent some time on the range & practice area. Randy showed up shortly after we did and Wardy came sprinting in 4 minutes prior to tee time (and those little legs can move when they really need to). We had a fun afternoon on the course passing around the Big Numbers coin and unfortunately Josh jammed his hand pretty bad on a shot from the FW on 9. That shot plus the fact that he had a deliverable due at 5 that afternoon was someone’s way of telling him to go home. We were waiting on every shot on the front 9 so I couldn’t blame him one bit. Back 9 was more of the same: good shots & bad shots. Lil Tiger played some solid golf (even on front and plus 4 on back).

Post round I taught Lil Tiger something about match play. If we had been playing, he would’ve beat me 3&2 (Cookie close standards applying of course) and YET he beat me by 16 STROKES on the day. Match play can be a crazy beast!!

Wardy took me back to the airport and it was time to return to TX. To everyone that attended: THANK YOU!! It was one hella fun weekend that I hope to repeat again in the near future. Ryan: thanks for putting everything together – tremendous job on both the course selection and the rates you got for the group! Josh & Morgan: my biggest thanks for saving my pocketbook and letting me crash at your place!!! Duke & Ellie: much love as always! :D

Great time for sure. Never seen someone playing a match and either testing or trying to test another club. #Cookie was a great time and look forward to playing again!!!

Back