Hotel Rewards Programs & Deals Thread

SW/Chase card is on its way. The next question is whether or not we have enough gratuitous spending coming our way to justify getting a separate card for the wife and having 4 free flights.

SW/Chase card is on its way. The next question is whether or not we have enough gratuitous spending coming our way to justify getting a separate card for the wife and having 4 free flights.

Look up buying vanilla reload cards.
Its not something we do, but many have and its a great way to meet spend limits.

To the question above, the fine print on the SW/Chase card application confirms JB's answer about not being able to use transfer balances toward the spending requirements.

Skim alert. Is the 50k bonus points that you're talking about the one where you have to spend $2000 in the first three months?

Skim alert. Is the 50k bonus points that you're talking about the one where you have to spend $2000 in the first three months?

Yes it is. If you do not have those expenses to make via bills (that you can charge such as cell phone, etc), you can buy prepaid cards such as vanilla reload cards to assist. I have not done it, but many have with little issues. Keeps from having to "spend" the 2k.

Yes it is. If you do not have those expenses to make via bills (that you can charge such as cell phone, etc), you can buy prepaid cards such as vanilla reload cards to assist. I have not done it, but many have with little issues. Keeps from having to "spend" the 2k.
And remember that the holidays just ahead of us so you'll put a dent in the 2K number right there, just on stuff you'd probably do anyway. Add in the inevitable equipment purchase (or two) and it starts to add up.

Ahh ok, thanks. Just trying to figure out if it's worth it for #TheKing, and if I could get the rewards in time. I rarely ever fly, so that one trip would be the main purpose for the card.

Ahh ok, thanks. Just trying to figure out if it's worth it for #TheKing, and if I could get the rewards in time. I rarely ever fly, so that one trip would be the main purpose for the card.

I can honestly say if you have that is your only trip planned and do not forsee wanting to fly anywhere else in the next year or so, I would not get a credit card where the basis of the rewards are airline miles.

I can honestly say if you have that is your only trip planned and do not forsee wanting to fly anywhere else in the next year or so, I would not get a credit card where the basis of the rewards are airline miles.

Yeah, and that was the way I was leaning. BUT you never know what will happen with THP events :D

Just so you know, the 50k point BONUS for Southwest's credit card is still going on. I spoke with a representative the other day and she said they've heard nothing about it going away. Of course you never know....But with the holidays coming up, it's a good time to get it if you're thinking about it! :)

Interesting. When I called I was told the offer was going to be dead as of Monday.

Just so you know, the 50k point BONUS for Southwest's credit card is still going on. I spoke with a representative the other day and she said they've heard nothing about it going away. Of course you never know....But with the holidays coming up, it's a good time to get it if you're thinking about it! :)

No doubt, especially with all of the recent event announcements....and the ones still yet to come!

I also just got an email today giving me the offer as well and I'll probably have 2 mail offers when I get home since they for some reason always send me two at a time? And I already have the card....Big whoops on their part :p

No doubt, especially with all of the recent event announcements....and the ones still yet to come!

Just keep dropping those hints while we all suffer :p

Are you able to share the link from the email you got? The only deal I see on the website is for 25,000 miles. If they have an offer still out there for 50,000 I'd love to get in on that.

If it came from email, it is a targeted offer only and most likely will not work for all users.

Yeah, there's no link to share. It links through my Rapid Rewards account that I have through Southwest....So maybe if you sign up for Rapid Rewards account they'll send you the offers?

Capital One Venture bonus is up to 20,000 now FWIW...

I saw that. I still think with the other bonus one is better off, but at least it competes now.

The worst part is dealing with Capital One CS. I'm actually debating canceling my card with them. Always overseas for me, they are not helpful at all. Chase and Amex have been extremely helpful. YMMV

I saw that. I still think with the other bonus one is better off, but at least it competes now.

The worst part is dealing with Capital One CS. I'm actually debating canceling my card with them. Always overseas for me, they are not helpful at all. Chase and Amex have been extremely helpful. YMMV

Couldnt agree more, I've been with cap 1 for years and damn they have fallen off th edge with customer service. Redeeming can be a pain. The Starwood Amex is my favorite card so far, and if I dump Cap 1 I'll go Chase probably, you guys seem to love them.

Couldnt agree more, I've been with cap 1 for years and damn they have fallen off th edge with customer service. Redeeming can be a pain. The Starwood Amex is my favorite card so far, and if I dump Cap 1 I'll go Chase probably, you guys seem to love them.

I too love my Starwood Amex, but have been really digging the Hyatt Chase recently. A bit better earning potential for us and we really like Hyatt hotels. Even the Hyatt Places (inexpensive) we have stayed in.

One of the best cards we have is the IHG Chase card. (Holiday Inn, Intercontinental and Crown Plaza). Automatic top tier for elite status and earning potential is humongous. But their recent deval makes it harder as rooms are now priced the same as Marriott in terms of redemption, but you do earn faster.

I wish the Marriott deval wasnt so brutal, im what some people call a "fan" of them.

I wish the Marriott deval wasnt so brutal, im what some people call a "fan" of them.

It was not as bad as Hilton, but very close. To use HH right now, you almost have to have one of their credit cards. Their Citi card is fantastic for earning.

I'll check into citi and see which card will be the best for us, maybe we'll split it up and I'll get one and Caroline the other. Marriott has become a big disappointment in terms of the deal and the points needed for even a lower tier room, just stupid points wise.

Back