Callaway Apex Irons Review Thread

I will be plugged in to this as well. The SpeedBlades really are working for me, but now that the snow is flying and I'm not playing, my mind is wandering...ALL over these Apex irons.

Whatever your next event is, if I'm at it, you have unfettered access to my clubs.

2nd Official Review Date of testing: 11/23/13
Testing: Apex 3-7, Pro 8-PW

*****I am currently testing a combo set of the Apex and the Apex Pro. I was going to write separate reviews, but I am having a hard time organizing my thoughts into two reviews, so I am going to post my review write-ups in both threads and answer questions regarding each set in the appropriate thread. Sorry for any issues this may cause but my brain was starting to go into overdrive trying to write separate reviews.

I got to play yesterday morning for my second round with my new Apex irons. I was playing a tough, tough course so it was a good test for the Apex. Unfortunately, I left game at home but the silver lining is that I got to see how these performed when I was off.

The Grip:

Conditions were tough yesterday, with a steady drizzle that lasted the entire round with some heavy rain mixed in. It was a task to keep my grips dry but I had no issues with slippage with the stock Lamkin grips. Speaking of the grip, the stock grip has the Chevron logo in the center that works nicely for alignment. The grip itself is soft but offers plenty of tackiness.

Forgiveness:
Like I said, I wasn't exactly on my game but what I noticed is that my misses were holding their really well for the most part. With my current gamers, Ping i20s, when I am off my miss is going to be a pull or hook. I noticed that my misses with the Apex were not as penal as far as the ball moving laterally off target. I have had a couple of PMs asking to compare the i20 to the Apex/Pro in terms of forgiveness and in my limited testing so far (2 rounds, no range time), I think the i20 long irons are more forgiving in terms of distance loss on mishits than the Apex. When my swing is off, I don't hit down on the ball. I noticed more distance loss on my long irons when shots caught a little thin than my i20s. Conversely, I have not noticed much distance loss in the mid-to short irons on shots where I felt like I caught it thin.

I have had no issues hitting the Apex long and mid irons from the fairway and my best shot yesterday was 6 iron hit uphill, into the wind to a small target. Off the tee, the 3 iron is long and easy to hit. I have more confidence with it already than my i20 off the tee as far as my control goes.

Distance and Ball Flight:

Distance-wise, the Apex compares well to the i20s. I feel like I am hitting the Pros in my set 8-PW a little further with a high but not overly high ball flight. No issues with ballooning. My mid to long irons in my i20 set, are 2* strong, so they match the Apex lofts quite well. Paired with the KBS Tour V, I am seeing a flatter, more penetrating ball flight than the CFS in the Pings. That translated yesterday to great performance yesterday for the Apex into the wind.

The Pros are surprisingly long. I had 4 instances yesterday where I flew the green with the 8-PW with what the same iron and swing I would have taken with my i20s. All 4 shots though went right over the flag, so once I get the distances dialed in, the short irons could be deadly.

Overall thoughts:

I am very pleased with my decision with a combo set with the Apex/Pro. The Apex does not leave anything to be desired in terms of playability and feel in the long and mid irons. It was great to see my misses yesterday being in places where I could still salvage a par. I continued to be impressed with the Pros and relish the opportunity I get to use them. I used them on 3 of the 4 par 3s yesterday and even though I overshot my target on two of them, my confidence is growing with each and every shot.

Thanks for reading and thank to THP and Callaway for this testing opportunity!

Link to 1st review: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...eview-Thread&p=2598753&viewfull=1#post2598753
Pics: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...eview-Thread&p=2596214&viewfull=1#post2596214
More pics: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...eview-Thread&p=2596214&viewfull=1#post2596214

Last edited:
Will have a full write up in these later today, but after a round with them in the bag I can say that I am quite impressed. Perfect launch, with a beauty of a slight draw that I was playing all day (wake and ward were witness).

Distance was exactly what I was looking for, and the feel at impact of these is so flush that it's ridiculous.

Jeff what do you prefer in terms of a top line look? Are you more an Apex or Apex Pro top line fan?

Jeff what do you prefer in terms of a top line look? Are you more an Apex or Apex Pro top line fan?

I just compared the Apex 7 and Pro 8 and there is not a big difference there. Hardly noticeable IMO. The difference between the sets may be more pronounced for the long irons, and if that is the case I prefer the top line of the Apex. The Apex top line is thin enough to not be clunky to my eye but not too small to be intimidating, which is along the lines of my i20s.

I just got home from a very Positive first round with the Apex irons. I'll have a write up soon.

I am wondering if they made the top line thicker on the Pros after we tested them. I have zero issue with the top line I just remember it being thinner.

I am wondering if they made the top line thicker on the Pros after we tested them. I have zero issue with the top line I just remember it being thinner.
I was thinking the same thing about the regular Apex. I seem to remember it being thinner at Mission Inn.

I was thinking the same thing about the regular Apex. I seem to remember it being thinner at Mission Inn.

It's funny, I remember thinking the top line was a bit chunky on the Apex at the testing , and I never noticed it once today during my round.

I will be plugged in to this as well. The SpeedBlades really are working for me, but now that the snow is flying and I'm not playing, my mind is wandering...ALL over these Apex irons.

I know that feeling...went through it last year with the RocketBladez Tour and X-Forged. I ended up with what I started the year with, which was working fine. I it ain't broke, don't try to fix it. But, damn! These are sexy.... You might want to have a talk with your SpeedBlades and see what thy think about you bringing another set in the house. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did have other plans for my bag this winter, but after reading more and more, I am seriously leaning towards forgetting about those plans and giving both these and the Pro irons a try......

2nd Official Review Date of testing: 11/23/13
Testing: Apex 3-7, Pro 8-PW

*****I am currently testing a combo set of the Apex and the Apex Pro........The Pros are surprisingly long. I had 4 instances yesterday where I flew the green with the 8-PW with what the same iron and swing I would have taken with my i20s. All 4 shots though went right over the flag, so once I get the distances dialed in, the short irons could be deadly.

I am very pleased with my decision with a combo set with the Apex/Pro. The Apex does not leave anything to be desired in terms of playability and feel in the long and mid irons. It was great to see my misses yesterday being in places where I could still salvage a par. I continued to be impressed with the Pros and relish the opportunity I get to use them. I used them on 3 of the 4 par 3s yesterday and even though I overshot my target on two of them, my confidence is growing with each and every shot.

Great write up Jeff. I think it's awesome that some of you got a combo set up.

Great write up Jeff. I think it's awesome that some of you got a combo set up.

Thanks for saying that. Callaway was cool enough to allow those of us who entertained the idea to go for a comb set. I feel like I could gone either all Apex or Pro and been happy but the combo set just felt like the way to go.

11/26 Range Session

11/26 Range Session

The last two days I've been able to hit the range for about 20 minutes or so during my lunch break. I haven't had the opportunity to spend an extended amount of time on the range the Apex yet, which is when I feel like I can really get a feel for a club.

On the range I was focusing on paying attention to feel, dispersion, and ball flight. I was only able to hit the Pro PW, 8, and Apex 3 and 7 iron.

On the course the 3 iron has quickly become a very reliable option off the tee on short par 4s or when I need to find a fairway. Today on the range, I hit it exclusively from the deck. I had no issues hitting the 3 iron from the deck. I was seeing mid to high ball very straight ball flight. The ball rose steadily before flattening out nicely. Compared to my Ping i20, which I tend to hit, swooping draws, it was different from what I am used to seeing. Feel is very good with the Apex, surprisingly not as soft as my Pings, but I feel like I am getting more feedback. The feel is not harsh by any means and when solidly struck, the Apex lets you know you have smashed it. It was fairly cool today and only on one shot with the PW did I get a sting in my hands.

On the other end of the set, I am really liking the PW as well. 3/4, full shots, knock-downs, they are not a problem. No issues trying to work the ball left to right or right to left--something I struggle with my Ping i20 PW. As with the 3 iron, I am liking the ball flight I am getting out of the PW. The ball is getting up there nicely but not ballooning by any means.

Looking down with the 3 iron:

IMG_1257_zpse74a6843.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

One thing I tried to pay attention to as it was asked in here earlier is if there is a big difference in feel between the Apex 7 and Pro 8. On the Pro, I noticed a slightly harsher feeling in my hands on mishits and if I wasn't paying extra attention to it, something I may not have picked up on. On solidly struck shots, they feel great and I don't know why but I just picture the ball compressing nicely on the face. The sound of a purely struck shot is truly something I love about these. I did notice that the ball seems to launch higher with the Apex 7 than the 8 Pro. The Pro 8 seems to have a more penetrating ball flight and how this compares distance-wise is something I will have to pay attention to on the course as I it was hard to tell where it was landing on the range.

As with the rounds I've played the dispersion has been really good with the Apex/Apex Pros. Not too penalizing on distance loss, and the KBS Tour Vs have suited me nicely. Ball flight is mostly straight to a slight right to left where before I was playing a larger draw. Mishits have been the occasional push and the rare pull. All misses have been in play.

Thanks for reading!

That picture makes me want a 3 iron.

When you say "surprisingly not as soft as my Pings", John, are you speaking of the pros or the Apexes, or both? Just curious, as I thought the Apexes would be softer that the I20's. Don't know why, as I haven't hit the Apexes, obviously, but, I have hit the I20's and almost bought a set.

I got to play with Toad today in the cold tundra of Indiana and he hit these well and was kind enough to let me swing them.

His lie angle is about 3* flat for me and this caused a very flat swing and a consistent pull draw. My distance was what I'd expect out of them and they do sound, feel good when you hit them.

Can't really comment on the ball flight for me but the flight for Toad looked perfect.

When you say "surprisingly not as soft as my Pings", John, are you speaking of the pros or the Apexes, or both? Just curious, as I thought the Apexes would be softer that the I20's. Don't know why, as I haven't hit the Apexes, obviously, but, I have hit the I20's and almost bought a set.

I was talking about both the Pros and Apex. My friend hit these and thought the same thing that the Pings were softer. While the Pings feel softer--almost to the point where I wish there was more there, I like the feedback I am getting from the Apex better. Feel is so subjective and something I find hard to put adequately into words so please excuse the vagueness here.

Lovin' the updates. Keep 'em coming.

I was talking about both the Pros and Apex. My friend hit these and thought the same thing that the Pings were softer. While the Pings feel softer--almost to the point where I wish there was more there, I like the feedback I am getting from the Apex better. Feel is so subjective and something I find hard to put adequately into words so please excuse the vagueness here.

Nice write ups, again. Thae picture of the 3i makes me wish my clubs were here now.

Tapping away on my Galaxy 2 Note

That picture makes me want a 3 iron.

It's becoming a great option off the tee and it's just fun to hit.
Nice write ups, again. Thae picture of the 3i makes me wish my clubs were here now.

Tapping away on my Galaxy 2 Note

Did you order a set of the Apex?

Feel is so subjective you are right.

I meant to take my Bstone 8 i out with me when I played this past weekend to compare feel, I will have to do that next week.

I got to play with Toad today in the cold tundra of Indiana and he hit these well and was kind enough to let me swing them.

His lie angle is about 3* flat for me and this caused a very flat swing and a consistent pull draw. My distance was what I'd expect out of them and they do sound, feel good when you hit them.

Can't really comment on the ball flight for me but the flight for Toad looked perfect.

I would agree that I really like the flight on mine. I was taking very deliberately smooth swings and was seeing easy launch and beautiful mid-high flights.

I cannot in any way comment on distance or spin since we were hitting frozen DUOs at frozen greens. I am super anxious to get back south and tune these in.

It's becoming a great option off the tee and it's just fun to hit.

Did you order a set of the Apex?

I did. 3-Pw. Kept the stock XP95 shafts in them because I've got a set of Nippon 1050s that I bought specifically for these irons.

I did. 3-Pw. Kept the stock XP95 shafts in them because I've got a set of Nippon 1050s that I bought specifically for these irons.

Oh yeah, I remember you talking about that. Let us know what your thoughts are when you get them in and have a chance to test them out. I know you are ready to get them in hand.

Back