R.I.P. Nelson Mandela

RIP Mr. Mandela

It was a blessing to live in his time and I'm thankful for the man he was.

Sad news for sure.

This man gave more than a quarter of his life for his beliefs of Freedom. Selflessness at its best. Rest in Peace sir!
da8eqahe.jpg

RIP to not only a great leader of a country, but of an entire movement and activists.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The fact that South Africa did not become a flaming pit of death in the days after Apartheid is all owed to Mandela. So many ways that the turnover of white rule could have gone, almost all ending in vengeance and violence. Mandela was amazing for that alone.

Humming the Simple Minds song "Mandela Day" to myself as I type this.

Another great person lost this week. RIP Mr. Mandela yo were a great man, legend.

RIP President Mandela

from an outsider and relative youngsters he did a lot of great things and stood up for what he believed in. He may not of been perfect but he did do a lot of good in his life.

RIP. Truly a great men.

What a GREAT leader and humanitarian. Sad to hear of his passing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fact that South Africa did not become a flaming pit of death in the days after Apartheid is all owed to Mandela. So many ways that the turnover of white rule could have gone, almost all ending in vengeance and violence. Mandela was amazing for that alone.

Humming the Simple Minds song "Mandela Day" to myself as I type this.

So the fact that white farmers are being murdered in such numbers that it's being called genocide means ? As well as this, did any of the killings ordered by the anc before the '94 election on voters make the news in any country outside of south Africa?

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. As for me it's enough that great men like Gary Player and Ernie Els have huge respect for Mandela (and many other people do to).

May he rest in peace. His time on earth will forever touch generations across the globe.

TapAhoy!

So the fact that white farmers are being murdered in such numbers that it's being called genocide means ? As well as this, did any of the killings ordered by the anc before the '94 election on voters make the news in any country outside of south Africa?

Please explain your statement. As a south African I'd love to hear it. He got out of jail and promised the earth to a country full of eternal optimists and delivered nothing. Now he's gone the true nature of Africans will shine through and it won't be long before it's the next Zimbabwe. The country is run by a rapist that siphons off millions of dollars of aid to build and extend his home and all the other ANC cronies are so corrupt it's not funny. The best thing I ever did was get out of the country, I could see where it we going and wanted nothing to do with it. Nelson was just another politician, nothing more.

You obviously have lived with different experiences than many of us but this is not the thread for this, it may be better to take it to the rant thread or start another in the debate room.

Moment of silence before each Premiere League game this weekend for Nelson Mandela. Nice.

This explains a great deal, glad you responded and showed your true colors.

I would like to keep this thread civil please. I know he was a political figure but I would like to keep politics out of this. Thank you.

Didn't quite know where to post this but sounds like a little levity could be used in here:
8y8ypaby.jpg

In order to eulogize a great but complex man in a great but complex time for his country, one must look at his deeds with something of a long view. Educated, reasonably wealthy for his station, ultimately joining into a usurpation due to a combination of will, politics, and simply being in the right place at the right time, he led a rebellion that often resorted to ungentlemanly warfare in pursuit of its goals. These actions caused the leaders of his country to brand him a terrorist and a villain, leader of an illegal affront to the peace of the realm. Had the ball of history bounced differently, he would have found himself at the end of a rope, or rotting away in a cell for the rest of his days. Instead, the rebellion's victory made him immensely popular in his reborn nation, and he was made President in a landslide. So popular and beloved was he that he could have made himself a king, President for Life. Instead, at the height of his popularity, he did something truly extraordinary: he walked away from being the most powerful man in his nation, and lived the rest of his life in relative quiet and obscurity.

I'm actually speaking of George Washington. For a handful of reasons, some of them raw jingoism, I regard George Washington as a greater person. But I think any time a nation makes a policy of oppression against its own citizens, the line between hero and villain becomes uncomfortably thin if it exists at all. During his incarceration, Mandela could just as easily have been consumed by bitterness and hatred, as Hitler was, and made himself a tyrant and monster. His decision to emerge from prison with a desire for peace and reconciliation, and a willingness and confidence to allow his nation to move forward without him, stands as a great and shining example to all men. It does not forgive all his actions. But it does illuminate for the rest of us a great path, and the truth that peace and forgiveness are always options, and that we should choose them whenever possible. May Nelson Mandela rest in peace, and may God have mercy on him, and all of us.

Back