Yonex XP Irons - THP Review Thread

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
Continuing with the theme of counter-weighting in the rest of their XP line (driver, fairway, and hybrid...all are also under review here on THP) Yonex is also releasing their new XP line of irons this year. I actually just received a 5-PW set with graphite shafts.

Initial thoughts are that I'm much more impressed in-hand than what I initially thought from the images on their website, its a pretty solid looking iron, a bit of offset and a wider sole (images comparing to other irons will be below in this post) but the topline is surprisingly on the smaller side which is very nice. They look good from address and I hope to get them out tomorrow!

Also, for those that don't know, Yonex produces their own graphite shafts in house and have extremely tight tolerances. They are well respected graphite shafts from driver to irons and in my experience are performers.

From Yonex about the XP irons:

EZONE XP Irons

Description: The EZONE XP Irons feature the Tungsten Grip with a 4g heavier head and Double Undercut Cavity that increases the size of the sweetspot to maximize power, distance and forgiveness.

Head Construction: SUS431 Stainless Steel Precision Casting

Shaft Construction: EX300 [Graphite], N.S.PRO950GH [Steel]

Grip: Original Tungsten Balance Grip [Golf Pride, Graphite], Original Rubber Grip [Steel]

POWER BREAKTHROUGH

Revolutionary Dual Tungsten Power [DTP] System delivers ultimate power output.

The EZONE XP range features the YONEX Dual Tungsten Power [DTP] System - an innovative engineering breakthrough that produces maximum power and distance. The newly designed DTP System, featuring Tungsten in both the grip and club head, works in conjunction with the Lightweight Shaft.
The result is a swing that delivers an explosive power breakthrough with the same effort, adding more yards to your game.

The Lightweight and counterbalanced shaft works in conjunction with the Dual Tungsten Power [DTP] System and has been engineered to generate higher swing speeds for added power off the tee.

The composite 20g Tungsten Powder at the grip end works in conjunction with the Tungsten screw in the club head to produce an explosive power breakthrough. The Dual Tungsten Power [DTP] System and Lightweight Shaft counterbalances to retain a D2 swing balance, making it just as easy to hit as a conventional driver but with more power.

A secondary cavity and reduced sole thickness improves repulsion levels for greater accuracy and distance.

Screenshot_1-L.jpg

In-Hand pictures:

DSC_1196-L.jpg

DSC_1199-L.jpg

DSC_1183-L.jpg

DSC_1184-L.jpg

DSC_1185-L.jpg

DSC_1186-L.jpg

DSC_1187-L.jpg

DSC_1188-L.jpg

DSC_1189-L.jpg

Undercut Cavities:

5i:
DSC_1182-L.jpg

7i:
DSC_1181-L.jpg

9i:
DSC_1180-L.jpg

Individial Irons:

5i:
Spoiler

DSC_1156-L.jpg

DSC_1157-L.jpg

DSC_1158-L.jpg

DSC_1159-L.jpg

6i:
Spoiler

DSC_1160-L.jpg

DSC_1161-L.jpg

DSC_1162-L.jpg

DSC_1163-L.jpg

7i:
Spoiler

DSC_1164-L.jpg

DSC_1165-L.jpg

DSC_1166-L.jpg

DSC_1167-L.jpg

8i:
Spoiler

DSC_1168-L.jpg

DSC_1169-L.jpg

DSC_1170-L.jpg

DSC_1171-L.jpg

9i:
Spoiler

DSC_1172-L.jpg

DSC_1173-L.jpg

DSC_1174-L.jpg

DSC_1175-L.jpg

PW:
Spoiler

DSC_1176-L.jpg

DSC_1177-L.jpg

DSC_1178-L.jpg

DSC_1179-L.jpg

Comparison Pics:

Vs S55:
DSC_1190-L.jpg

DSC_1191-L.jpg

Vs i20:
DSC_1192-L.jpg

DSC_1193-L.jpg

• Staff
As always, if you have any questions or discussion on the irons, feel free and I'll do my best to get you answers during my testing!

I really like the side by side comparison's you did this time around, really helps get a feel for the design and size.

I see a real problem with that chrome in the sun.

As always, if you have any questions or discussion on the irons, feel free and I'll do my best to get you answers during my testing!

I really like the look of these but I don't think I've ever seen a place that carries Yonex locally.

• Staff
I see a real problem with that chrome in the sun.

I was actually just about to comment on this, great minds and all that. :alien:

That's the think I dislike about true polished chrome on clubs. That said, the face/topline is matte and the toe is actually brushed chrome while the heel side is still polished. Should make a big difference on the glare factor at address and make them playable in the sun, still different to me that the toe is one way and the heel is unchanged.

I was actually just about to comment on this, great minds and all that. :alien:

That's the think I dislike about true polished chrome on clubs. That said, the face/topline is matte and the toe is actually brushed chrome while the heel side is still polished. Should make a big difference on the glare factor at address and make them playable in the sun, still different to me that the toe is one way and the heel is unchanged.

Interesting. Hopefully they thought of that and it works as intended. They are really shiny.

Wow, those are crazy looking! I remember being wow'ed by the Yonex irons at the PGA show.

Hopefully I can see these next weekend. :)

• Staff
Interesting. Hopefully they thought of that and it works as intended. They are really shiny.

Agreed dude, I hope it works as well. I'm not at all a glare fan.

Wow, those are crazy looking! I remember being wow'ed by the Yonex irons at the PGA show.

Hopefully I can see these next weekend. :)

I was thinking about us in that booth last year wanting to hit their irons when I got the word I'd get to spend time with these haha

Hopefully, the outlook is actually really good right now.

I really like the look of these but I don't think I've ever seen a place that carries Yonex locally.

This has always been my thing with Yonex. They seem to make good gear but THP is the only place I ever see it.

These really seem to be up my alley. Nice size and shape with distance and forgiveness. I love me a graphite shafts as well.

Look pretty sharp. I'll be following this one just as I will be the woods even though my irons are safe.

Good looking offering from Yonex

Love the finish on these things. Looking forward to seeing how these stack up with the competition this year. Yonex is putting out some nice looking product this year.

Swinging the 8i inside (yeah, wife is at work haha) and the graphite feels great. Light but the counterweight is def there to balance the heavier head. Soooooo want to go hit some balls with these ASAP.

That's a nice looking iron set!

That's a nice looking iron set!

They've grown on me as compared to the initial pic's I saw, that's for sure. Definitely not a sleek and compact players iron, but certainly a solid looking GI iron.

Offset seems fairly minimal too right?

They actually look pretty sharp for Yonex, I've hit some in the past but was always put off by the looks, they performed well and I would suspect that these will be the same. Good looking sticks.

Offset seems fairly minimal too right?

Its not bad at all dude, which is a bonus for my mentalness haha. Sadly there are no offset numbers included on their spec's but its not bad at all.

Good looking so far. I like the thicker top line.

Those are sharp looking. Definitely shiny. I like the NSPro shaft offering with these. Look like a pretty solid offering all around.

Those are sharp looking. Definitely shiny. I like the NSPro shaft offering with these. Look like a pretty solid offering all around.

I thought that was a nice pairing as well, I will say though I'm glad I'm getting to review the graphite instead, I've really come to enjoy putting graphite iron shafts through their paces.

These look really nice. I remember when I started playing Yonex was pretty big here. This one looks like a hit for sure. Only downpart I see is a much lower lofts. 44 degree pw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back