Electronics Pondering

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hated the iPad and everything about it. I wouldn't trade my Note 8.0 for anything, I love it. Its the first piece of new technology that I have truly loved. The only issue I have with it is battery life, but I use it a lot to read books and for non-stop refreshing with FF so that eats the battery.

I love the form factor of that tablet. I'm really looking to grab something in that size. Looking at the Note 8, LG G Pad 8.3(GPE), Kindle Fire HDX(8.9), and of course iPad Mini w/Retina.

How bad is the battery life on it?

Its not too bad Dean. She gets around 8 hours with pretty constant use.

Barry I don't want to complicate things but I'm curious if the school requires a mac. I run photo shop and light room constantly along with many other digital manipulation programs frequently and do it with a windows machine. The days of Mac dominating that industry are over.

You are in a tough spot either way because she will want something small to carry around but editing photos on a small screen and without a mouse can be cumbersome. You may be better off with a small laptop/tablet for notes in class and then a more powerful desktop for her dorm. I have a 12 in Asus ultrabook wih a i7 processor and 8gb of ram which serves me will in a pinch but much rather work on a desktop.

Thanks. She did SCAD Rising Star this summer so spent 7 weeks on campus and loved it (A's in both classes). She had a PC laptop with her over the summer and had her portable hard drive set for MAC use and used the schools computer labs which are all MAC quite a bit. She thinks it would be easier to have a MAC to work on all the time. I may go with something lighter as she'll have access to those labs which have huge monitors.

Next question: Any advantage to buying at Apple Store over Best Buy or Fry's?

I bought through Apple to get the student discount through school. I would contact the school, certain schools offer up a percentage off for their students.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I am dying for a new set of noise cancelling head phones. The backstory is that earbuds always hurt my ears. WHile in CA, I bought a cheap over the ear set of Audio-Technicas for $40 that were awesome in terms of comfort. That got me started and now I am on a mission. Tried on the Bose QC15 and love them. But just bought this other pair for $40 and hate that. But what a difference the actual noise cancelling works.

Funny enough Josh I am in the same boat. Looking for something for Christmas. With how much time I spend in planes these days with work I think they will be a great gift.

Funny enough Josh I am in the same boat. Looking for something for Christmas. With how much time I spend in planes these days with work I think they will be a great gift.

They are freaking awesome. I have been reading about them and asking some friends for days now.
Here is what I learned.
Bose QC15 has the best noise cancelling out of just about everything and some people say its not close.
They do not have the best audio in the world however.
But to me, I would choose noise cancelling every time. Turn it on and tune the world out.

I've never tried a pair of noise cancelling headphones, don't know why I haven't as they would obviously be badass for traveling.

I've never tried a pair of noise cancelling headphones, don't know why I haven't as they would obviously be badass for traveling.

I will tell you what dude. If you can convince GG that I need a pair, I will give you my new pair that is over the ear and solid, but not noise cancelling. Send her a text and make it happen. :D

They are freaking awesome. I have been reading about them and asking some friends for days now.
Here is what I learned.
Bose QC15 has the best noise cancelling out of just about everything and some people say its not close.
They do not have the best audio in the world however.
But to me, I would choose noise cancelling every time. Turn it on and tune the world out.

Agreed with the last bit of that. They are a bit pricy, but I think I am going to have to find some to try out

Agreed with the last bit of that. They are a bit pricy, but I think I am going to have to find some to try out

Surprisingly enough, Best Buy has a decent selection to try out.

I am dying for a new set of noise cancelling head phones. The backstory is that earbuds always hurt my ears. WHile in CA, I bought a cheap over the ear set of Audio-Technicas for $40 that were awesome in terms of comfort. That got me started and now I am on a mission. Tried on the Bose QC15 and love them. But just bought this other pair for $40 and hate that. But what a difference the actual noise cancelling works.
I got a pair of the cheaper Sol Republics in the airport when changing planes heading to Vegas. Not the highest end pair around, but the cancel out the noise quite well and the audo is downright impressive.

I will tell you what dude. If you can convince GG that I need a pair, I will give you my new pair that is over the ear and solid, but not noise cancelling. Send her a text and make it happen. :D

I'm a reasonable person open to negotiation. CJ for headphones. Win/win/win.

I got a pair of the cheaper Sol Republics in the airport when changing planes heading to Vegas. Not the highest end pair around, but the cancel out the noise quite well and the audo is downright impressive.

Are they active noise cancelling? meaning with mic from a battery, etc? Or like mine that just cancel out the world by going over the ear.

Are they active noise cancelling? meaning with mic from a battery, etc? Or like mine that just cancel out the world by going over the ear.
They do not have active noise cancelling, I believe what they refer to it as "noise isolation" with them being over the ear and higher quality audio, they work quite well.

They do not have active noise cancelling, I believe what they refer to it as "noise isolation" with them being over the ear and higher quality audio, they work quite well.

That is what I have in the AT's. They are not bad, but when I put on the QC15s, I was like, "what the heck. Thats not fair."

I'm a reasonable person open to negotiation. CJ for headphones. Win/win/win.

Hahaha! I'M SORRY MORGAN!

No text sent.
Now you are dead to both of us. HashtagAlienSmilie

No text sent.
Now you are dead to both of us. HashtagAlienSmilie

He needs fired publicly.
..again

That is what I have in the AT's. They are not bad, but when I put on the QC15s, I was like, "what the heck. Thats not fair."
Yeah, the noise cancelling are legit, especially when listening to nothing and being able to tune everything out. These were an impulse buy for me, as I needed something more than the ones I had, and they had a good price on them at the airport.
He needs fired publicly.
..again
Or a public shunning. I like the shunnings.

Yeah, I saw a demo where the Bose QC15s eliminated 79.7 dbs. The closest to them was the Sennheiser higher end one that did 56.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back