TaylorMade SpeedBlade Irons Review Thread

To those that have had these for some time in use............ how is the finish holding up?
I received my irons at the Ultimate Testing on September 14th and my post above (#1063--can't or don't know how to link from my phone) was intended to show the wear (or lack of) after playing 378 holes. For me, the finish is holding up really well. I originally thought the darker part might wear off of show wear early, but I have seen none of that.

I received my irons at the Ultimate Testing on September 14th and my post above (#1063--can't or don't know how to link from my phone) was intended to show the wear (or lack of) after playing 378 holes. For me, the finish is holding up really well. I originally thought the darker part might wear off of show wear early, but I have seen none of that.

I'm right there with ya. The two tone look not only looked great to start, it's holding up to wear AND it's super easy to clean. The face does get a little ravaged by marks from balls (more than likely sandy ranges) but everything else is spotless.

Agree with these guys. I've out them through a ton of rounds and they're none worse for the wear. I love how easy they are to clean, as I have to hit off mats a lot.

Taps away

I don't have near the rounds as some of the guys, but I sure have put a lot of swings on them!!! :banana: I have been really pleased and somewhat surprised how well they have held up looks wise.

I've been vocal in my frustration with this iron and have been loving the new AP1's lately but I decided to give the SB's another shot this weekend. I reshafted with KBS Tour C-Tapers. The heavier shaft made a significant difference in the feel and ease of use. I like a heavier shaft to assist in keeping my swing in tempo and this did the trick over the weekend. My previous experience with the SB's was a great iron shot then 3 or 4 clunkers. This weekend it was just pure consistency and many of those piercing bombs that I have read about in this thread. Unfortunately the weather is not looking good here for the next week but I may need to pay an earlier visit to Mom in FL to get a round in next week to see if the results carry over.

Gotta give these a hit. Anyone know how they compare with the i20s?

I to this day adore my i20's, these though are longer and more forgiving low off the face. Really solid.

Superb post Pete, full of honest, real world info. I bought a set of Rocketbladez a month ago and saw an immediate change in my distance and game. Plus 15 yards (over Ping Ansers) and less about 2 strokes on average, thanks primarily to a straighter ball flight. I love everything about them, but since I have always been a low ball hitter, I need all the elevation I can get and for that reason I thinking of switching to the supposedly higher-launching Speedblades.

Almost everything you say about the SB's reflect my feelings about the RB's. And much of it isn't found in the other reviews I've read. I wonder what your experience has been with the SB's out of fairway bunkers? Mine has been superb with the RB's and they have virtually the same sole. I echo your thoughts on forgiveness and feel, especially with regard to low face hits. These clubs actually encourage you to try to catch them thin. However, catching them high on the face is not pleasant. Real clankers that go only about 65% of normal. Is that the case with the SB's as well? Has anyone else played both sets and can talk about their similarities and differences?

On a side-note, I grew up in Albany and have played many courses there. (ACC, Colonie CC, Pine Haven, Normandie, the old Albany Muni) But I don't recognize that wicked tight 4 you posted. Where is it?

Last edited:
Almost everything you say about the SB's reflect my feelings about the RB's. And much of it isn't found in the other reviews I've read. I wonder what your experience has been with the SB's out of fairway bunkers? Mine has been superb with the RB's and they have virtually the same sole. I echo your thoughts on forgiveness and feel, especially with regard to low face hits. These clubs actually encourage you to try to catch them thin. However, catching them high on the face is not pleasant. Real clankers that go only about 65% of normal. Is that the case with the SB's as well? Has anyone else played both sets and can talk about their similarities and differences?

On a side-note, I grew up in Albany and have played many courses there. (ACC, Colonie CC, Pine Haven, Normandie, the old Albany Muni) But I don't recognize that wicked tight 4 you posted. Where is it?
Welcome to THP and thanks for the kind words. As many holes as I've played with the SpeedBlades, I haven't spent much time in fairway bunkers. One is burned into my memory from my weekend in Florida at the Gauntlet though. The hole was a par 5, and I pushed my tee shot into the bunker on the right side 270-ish from the green. Normally, from the fairway/rough, I would pull the 7 iron as my 170 club leaving a comfortable approach from 100 yards. Being in the bunker, I grabbed the 6, choked down on the grip, moved the ball back in my stance, and attempted to pick it clean. The ball came out low, like a rocket, and pulled a little left, but came to a stop in the left rough exactly 100 yards from the middle of the green. If I were to grade my swing at this ball on a scale from 1-10, I'd give it a 5--and ended up in perfect birdie position. Wish I had more of an answer for you than that.

I generally miss low on the face with these. The few times that I have hit them high on the face, I attribute to a failed grip experiment. One round recently, I hit an AW from 110 yards (a comfortable distance normally) high on the face and the ball went halfway to the green. Just felt completely different, so I'd have to agree with you. How high on the face? I'll show you.
6uzyjypu.jpg

Funny that you grew up in Albany, do you ever make it back to the area? That hole in particular is the 4th hole at The Fairways of Halfmoon. Funky links style course where I've played in a Thursday night league on and off since 2004.

I generally miss low on the face with these. The few times that I have hit them high on the face, I attribute to a failed grip experiment. One round recently, I hit an AW from 110 yards (a comfortable distance normally) high on the face and the ball went halfway to the green. Just felt completely different, so I'd have to agree with you. How high on the face? I'll show you.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about within high face hits! Same position, same feel, same results. I would get them from fluffy rough lies if I wasn't careful to try to "pick" them. "Bomb and gouge" with these will kill you if you gouge. Picking thin is what I normally do from fairway bunkers, so perhaps that would explain my good results with these clubs. Knowing that you can catch them thin with good results is a nice crutch to lean on. So is having a hittable 4 iron that goes as far as a 5 wood. Like you, I also did not notice a gap between the slotted 7 and the unslotted 8.

My Speedblades arrive in a week, so barring a blizzard I'll be able to compare them side by side with the RBladez. The next question is how comparable will the Speedblades be to the new CB Tour Preferred irons? They look nearly identical in shape except for the badging.

I haven't been back to the tri-cities in 20 years, but grew up in Delmar, Clifton Park and Voorheesville. Some great old school courses up there.

Last edited:
Question regarding shaft flex: Were the Regular flex stock steel shafts recommended for any of you guys that went to the fitting? Does anyone have a comparison that hit both Regular and Stiff?

I ask because I hit both flexes in a 7 iron at DICK's and saw or felt literally no difference on the sim.

Awesome thread!!! Appreciate all the feedback as these are on my short list to replace my "old" G20's.....

Question regarding shaft flex: Were the Regular flex stock steel shafts recommended for any of you guys that went to the fitting? Does anyone have a comparison that hit both Regular and Stiff?

I ask because I hit both flexes in a 7 iron at DICK's and saw or felt literally no difference on the sim.

Awesome thread!!! Appreciate all the feedback as these are on my short list to replace my "old" G20's.....

Hey Delmar...when we received the clubs they all had stiff flex shafts. I believe that a few of the guys have since swapped out the standard shafts for upgraded ones of various flex. As far as my personal experience goes, I have always hit a regular flex shaft until I got these irons. I have found that this stiff shafts work well for me which surprised me a lot. From what I have learned the TaylorMade stiff flex is not quite as stiff as some of the other manufacture's stock stiff shafts. Some of the other guys may have a different take though.

Hey Delmar...when we received the clubs they all had stiff flex shafts. I believe that a few of the guys have since swapped out the standard shafts for upgraded ones of various flex. As far as my personal experience goes, I have always hit a regular flex shaft until I got these irons. I have found that this stiff shafts work well for me which surprised me a lot. From what I have learned the TaylorMade stiff flex is not quite as stiff as some of the other manufacture's stock stiff shafts. Some of the other guys may have a different take though.

Thanks for the info JH!

I spoke briefly with the fitter (Bob Van Sweeden) about shaft flex, and he is in the camp that if your are in the middle of swinging regular and stiff, he always recommends stiff as he feels it helps greatly with dispersion. I consider myself a tempo guy, not a swing out of my shoes guy and my 6 iron club speed hovers around 90 mph, and I have had no issues with the stiff shaft flex.

I have had these clubs for about five weeks now and love them, they are so much more forgiving than my old TM Burner irons. When I bought them they did not have an Approach wedge to my specs, so it had to be ordered and took over a month to arrive. Anyway, took it out for the first time last weekend and for the first 11 holes could not use it, too close or too far from the green. My playing partner says "How far is right?", I reply "it's around 100m".

On the 12th I hit an iron towards the green and the ball ends up 30cm from the 100m marker, out with the approach wedge and bang, low and behold, pin high about 1.5m from the pin! "See 100m" I say to my mate!! :banana:

Haha fantastic WildGig great to see another Aussie poking around the forums. Perfect way to prove you can hit that distance marker exactly right.

After punching my ticket to the Morgan Cup via Taylormade, these will almost certainly end up in my bag!

Thanks for the info JH!

Delmar,

As a guy who grew up in Delmar NY, let me say that I really enjoyed the adventures of you, Pete, and Everett as the Soggy Bottom Boys!

I too have found the TM 85 gram steel shifts to be softer than usual stiff. I can't sense a difference with their 85 gram regular siblings.

I just got my SB's and am surprised at how dark gray their faces are. Has anyone noticed this finish wearing off?

Finish is holding up great. My set has seen at least 2 rounds per week since we got them up until the 2nd week of October. Then work and weather got in the way here in KC. I'm getting a round in tomorrow (maybe today by the time you read this). Will more than likely be my last round of 2013. Scroll back a a few pages and there have been some pics of the finish by a couple of other testers. I'd say that for everyone that's testing these, the finish will last you quite a while.

I've been in the market for some new irons, and have been hitting lots of them in retailer fitting bays. This weekend I went to test out the Callaway Apex and the Taylormade Speedblade (again). According to the flightscope, I was hitting the Apex 6i and the Speedblade 7i the same distance, both carry and total. More spin, ball speed, and height on the speedblades. This was very encouraging, especially since as a set, the apex and the speedblades are within a half degree in loft. The feel on the speedblades was much, much better IMO. So, I bit the bullet and picked up a set of 4-PW speedblades (steel/stiff) from a local golf shop going out of business. It was a great deal, and I've had my eye on them for a while now. Seemed like fate :)

I immediately took them to be extended 1" and have Winn Dri-Tac Oversize grips installed with one extra wrap. These grips feel great and seem to lessen the vibration of a mishit. Put the new clubs into play for the first time today and I was really impressed. In fact, I think I had the best feeling iron shot I've ever had today with the 8i on a par 3. It was a full swing on a 160yd hole that put a major grin on my face, even before the ball fell onto the green. Each and every time I hit an iron off the tee, it was the same story. awesome feel, awesome result. As an experiment I drove a few holes I'd normally hit driver or 3W on with the 4i. I was getting 220yds consistently and with the exception of my swing mistakes, every shot was where I wanted it to be. This is a drastic improvement over the irons I've been gaming which are admittedly cheapo set irons... but still, I couldn't be happier with the purchase. Getting them for such a good price was icing on the cake.

I've been in the market for some new irons, and have been hitting lots of them in retailer fitting bays. This weekend I went to test out the Callaway Apex and the Taylormade Speedblade (again). According to the flightscope, I was hitting the Apex 6i and the Speedblade 7i the same distance, both carry and total. More spin, ball speed, and height on the speedblades. This was very encouraging, especially since as a set, the apex and the speedblades are within a half degree in loft. The feel on the speedblades was much, much better IMO. So, I bit the bullet and picked up a set of 4-PW speedblades (steel/stiff) from a local golf shop going out of business. It was a great deal, and I've had my eye on them for a while now. Seemed like fate :)

I immediately took them to be extended 1" and have Winn Dri-Tac Oversize grips installed with one extra wrap. These grips feel great and seem to lessen the vibration of a mishit. Put the new clubs into play for the first time today and I was really impressed. In fact, I think I had the best feeling iron shot I've ever had today with the 8i on a par 3. It was a full swing on a 160yd hole that put a major grin on my face, even before the ball fell onto the green. Each and every time I hit an iron off the tee, it was the same story. awesome feel, awesome result. As an experiment I drove a few holes I'd normally hit driver or 3W on with the 4i. I was getting 220yds consistently and with the exception of my swing mistakes, every shot was where I wanted it to be. This is a drastic improvement over the irons I've been gaming which are admittedly cheapo set irons... but still, I couldn't be happier with the purchase. Getting them for such a good price was icing on the cake.

That's awesome. I really like how they perform for me and have been using them for a few months now. Enjoy!

I couldn't agree more. I've hit my set only one round since moving from Rocketbladez that replaced Pings, but I love them. The difference between RBladez and SB's is very small compared to the difference between either TM set and competitors. You must avoid the high face miss-hits with both. I would recommend either with the only qualifying distinction being how high you hit the ball. If you have low ball flight, hit the SB. If you already have high ball flight hit RB.

Its hard to make a decision to replace your irons because how awesome the reviews are. Not sure how much difference in technology there is from the rbz to the rocketbladez now to the speedblade...

I have the R11s, it night be the last iron set taylormade made with standard lofts and shaft lengths...

Im scared of the 4 iron that is truly a 3 iron shaft lenght with a 2 iron loft (exaggerating a little bit there)...

Every new set has stronger lofts and longer shafts.. Is it really technology?

R11 3 iron: 19 degrees
rocketbladez 3 iron: 18 degrees
Speedblade 3 iron: 17 degrees

Is it really that "little thing" ?

These guys will start putting driver shafts in irons by 2015... Imagine a 46 inch 14 degree 3 iron?

Dunno man... I want them bad.. But I'm not sure they are for real..

Convince me please!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When looking at distance gains and performance of any golf club, you have to factor in the height of any given ball flight. If you hit a tee shot and it lands 300 yards in front of you, the ball has really traveled more than 300 yards because it is not just simply rolling 300 yards on the ground. From what all the reviews have said, the ball is flying higher and farther because of the technology. Lofts are strengthened in order to keep shots from going too high. New tech plus "old" loft might actually take away distance.

My suggestion is to take your current gamers and compare them with these. Watch the ball flight and distance then decide if you like them.

Phenomenal post jochan. Spot on.

Compare the launch of your 6 iron now with the launch of the speedblades 6 iron and I think you will find them similar, if not the speedblades 6 being a bit higher. Launch is what is being used to determine iron numbers. Sure the lofts will be stronger, but who cares. If you hit a 6 iron as far as your old 5 iron is that a bad thing, if dispersion is as good or better I think not.

Back