Cleveland Smart-Square Putter Review

This is very interesting I know I definitely miss some putts due to alignment. I currently use a blade putter though and I wonder what the adjustment to the mallet would be like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im sure it would take some getting used to, but like anything with some practice you will get it down

How does this putter feel after a small break? Like taking some days off- does it feel good and come right back or does it take a few hours to feel good again ? Let me know how it goes

I'm a streaky putter historically. Partly because I seldom practice in between rounds. Something that has to change for me overall.

As for coming back to the Smart Square after a layoff there are some positives. The putter just feels comfortable immediately in my hands. The alignment is so easy with the squares that I don't struggle with that at all after a layoff. Which leaves speed as the final component to worry about when coming back. It's nice that for me there is just one area I need to work on when I have to step a way from the game for a bit.

I wonder how I'd be able to counter weight or counter balance a LH version of this, since the only cb versions are RH only. Either way, need to roll this one soon.

I'm a streaky putter historically. Partly because I seldom practice in between rounds. Something that has to change for me overall.

As for coming back to the Smart Square after a layoff there are some positives. The putter just feels comfortable immediately in my hands. The alignment is so easy with the squares that I don't struggle with that at all after a layoff. Which leaves speed as the final component to worry about when coming back. It's nice that for me there is just one area I need to work on when I have to step a way from the game for a bit.

Awesome. This was my thought but I have yet to roll it. Thanks for the insight.

Finally got a chance to try this out this weekend. I cannot believe how well the squares frame the ball. It is absolutely amazing. I know thats not a revolutionary thought but I was a bit skeptical but it really does flat out work.

This is why I can't wait to get this one in my hands. Its seems so simple, but I anticipate so effective.

This is very interesting I know I definitely miss some putts due to alignment. I currently use a blade putter though and I wonder what the adjustment to the mallet would be like?

I currently have a blade putter as well, and did some putting with the Smart Square at Golftown, and found the alignment really easy to use and to set up.

The biggest adjustment I found was getting used to extra weight of the mallet, so my first couple putts were extremely long. However once your familiar with what kind of stroke to put on the ball it rolled really well and was a easy to align.

This would be my first choice as a Cleveland Staffer come MC time.

I currently have a blade putter as well, and did some putting with the Smart Square at Golftown, and found the alignment really easy to use and to set up.

The biggest adjustment I found was getting used to extra weight of the mallet, so my first couple putts were extremely long. However once your familiar with what kind of stroke to put on the ball it rolled really well and was a easy to align.

This would be my first choice as a Cleveland Staffer come MC time.

Yessir it is haha

I honestly fall in love with this putter each time I roll it. Hoping the wife took the subtle hints and selected this item off my Christmas list.

I honestly fall in love with this putter each time I roll it. Hoping the wife took the subtle hints and selected this item off my Christmas list.

hahaah good luck dude. I still have yet to see this one in person. I am very pumped about it though.

hahaah good luck dude. I still have yet to see this one in person. I am very pumped about it though.

It's nice and feels good. Inside 10 ft just about money and outside just burning the edges.

It's nice and feels good. Inside 10 ft just about money and outside just burning the edges.

I love everything I hear about it. I just need it in my hands.

Just an update from me now having a few rounds with this being my primary gamer.
Edit: Using 39" Smart Square Almost Belly version

Overall "Feel"
feel in quotes as we all experience it differently. Some have said it relates to the sound. Definitely part of the deal for me also--one major thing I consider is a solidness at impact. Hit mid face on a typical putt the almost belly is a heavy club that really does have a solid contact sound as opposed to a ping or click. I have had the click or “Ting” as sparksjr mentioned on some really long lag putts—those very likely not hit center club. I do prefer the sound or feel of the Seemore CB milled or the Cleveland classic Almost Belly Blade, but there is nothing about the feel or sound that makes me dislike the putter.

Weight
I only have golf shop green experience with the standard edition of this putter, but was immediately turned off by the weight (having come from a CB Seemore gamer)—I am sure it was the change in weighting that threw me off, but distance control was not good on standard edition either. However, the Almost belly weight is so perfect. I think the specs are near identical to the Cleveland Classic black blade in the almost belly version (400g head 39” etc) In fact were in not for the better alignment aids of other putters I would likely be using that putter based on its overall weight and feel combination.

Alignment
This is by far the draw of this putter. It really is easier to align for me. I always try to imagine a putt, and this seems to help me line up the “track” that the putt will take. the Squares work...

Results
One of the area where I need to personally improve is tracking my stats on a regular basis. Another problem I have is that I am currently tinkering too much with my actual putting stroke—meaning I have toyed with various methods “rock the shoulders” seemore method, gravity golf putting on an arc—more of an open stance split grip, etc. I guess the positive for this putter is that I have not suffered any major setbacks even when trying various methods. Not sure what magic bullet I am looking for—I seem to 2 putt allot with small misses regardless—Maybe I am just looking for ways to make more one putts in that over 5 feet range. One thing I could say, is that I have stopped questioning the alignment and am now more focused on delivering the stroke correctly.

Last edited:
Just an update from me now having a few rounds with this being my primary gamer.

Overall "Feel"
feel in quotes as we all experience it differently. Some have said it relates to the sound. Definitely part of the deal for me also--one major thing I consider is a solidness at impact. Hit mid face on a typical putt the almost belly is a heavy club that really does have a solid contact sound as opposed to a ping or click. I have had the click or “Ting” as sparksjr mentioned on some really long lag putts—those very likely not hit center club. I do prefer the sound or feel of the Seemore CB milled or the Cleveland classic Almost Belly Blade, but there is nothing about the feel or sound that makes me dislike the putter.

Weight
I only have golf shop green experience with the standard edition of this putter, but was immediately turned off by the weight (having come from a CB Seemore gamer)—I am sure it was the change in weighting that threw me off, but distance control was not good on standard edition either. However, the Almost belly weight is so perfect. I think the specs are near identical to the Cleveland Classic black blade in the almost belly version (400g head 39” etc) In fact were in not for the better alignment aids of other putters I would likely be using that putter based on its overall weight and feel combination.

Alignment
This is by far the draw of this putter. It really is easier to align for me. I always try to imagine a putt, and this seems to help me line up the “track” that the putt will take. the Squares work...

Results
One of the area where I need to personally improve is tracking my stats on a regular basis. Another problem I have is that I am currently tinkering too much with my actual putting stroke—meaning I have toyed with various methods “rock the shoulders” seemore method, gravity golf putting on an arc—more of an open stance split grip, etc. I guess the positive for this putter is that I have not suffered any major setbacks even when trying various methods. Not sure what magic bullet I am looking for—I seem to 2 putt allot with small misses regardless—Maybe I am just looking for ways to make more one putts in that over 5 feet range. One thing I could say, is that I have stopped questioning the alignment and am now more focused on delivering the stroke correctly.

YOu aren't the first to say that the Squares help them "track" their putts via alignment, I feel the same way. Practically paints a bold line for a target line for you. If you are a fan of the Almost Belly line, already, I would highly suggest trying that version of the Smart Square out as well.

Forum Testing for the Smart Square putter is now Complete. Thank you to the testers for providing your honest feedback and on course results.

What a awesome club to test. Thanks for the opportunity again

Great job testers, you guys killed it

I picked ip a center shafted one yesterday and rolled it on my carpet. I immediately saw I was ligning up to the right. I usually kiss putts to the right. The squares tell you right away! Not a big fan of the insert as it has a feel to it im not used to. Kinda wish they had gone milled instead. This coming from a guy that games nike putters with inserts lol

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Awesome job testers! Looking forward to rolling this one soon!

Forum Testing for the Smart Square putter is now Complete. Thank you to the testers for providing your honest feedback and on course results.
Well done by all the reviewers, I've enjoyed following along!

Next time I see Cookie he said he would let me borrow his. Thanks for all the input here guys. It is appreciated!

Thanks to THP and Cleveland for allowing me to test this sweet putter.

Next time I see Cookie he said he would let me borrow his. Thanks for all the input here guys. It is appreciated!
Would be happy to send you mine to try out for a bit, if wanted Nate.

While I love it, you being a Cleveland Staffer would make sense rolling it for a bit.

I'm just curious, out of the testers, who will keep them in the bag and who will go back to their gamers now that the testing is over, and why?

Same as Beags said Nate, I'd be glad to send mine down to you.

I'm just curious, out of the testers, who will keep them in the bag and who will go back to their gamers now that the testing is over, and why?
Mine will stay in the bag, unless Nate wants to try it out for MC prep.

Back