Putting - Finger Down The Shaft

I started doing it this year and my putting had never been better. I think for me it helps promote following through on the stroke.

Went to a SPI instructor who watched me roll 6 or 7 putts and said he would change a thing about it
That's interesting, Deano. I recall earlier in the year when you switched to this style of putting, and the success you saw with it. If it works, it works, right?

That's interesting, Deano. I recall earlier in the year when you switched to this style of putting, and the success you saw with it. If it works, it works, right?

Yup I think it with the betti had made for a lethal combo.

We were discussing this on the course the other day. I'd never noticed but one of my mates pointed out for shorter puts I seem to do it, for longer I dont. I feel shorter that it keeps my hands squarer than a standard grip when I'm wanting a bit more touch... longer lets just get it up close.

I putt cross handed so no index finger down the shaft for me

I tried it. Seen no difference. Went away from it and went to left hand low. Will never leave left hand low..

I do on both sides. Right side is finger down on the grip and left side is finger down on the outside of my right hand fingers.
No one ever showed me this I just tried it one day and it felt great.

nope. feels too weird.

I kinda do it in a way. I putt left hand low but keep both hands straight so I am only rocking my shoulders and using no arm movement. I dont know how to really explain it but with the fat grip on the putter it keeps the ball rolling straight and that all that matters

My spi instructor actually recommended putting my left finger down the shaft. I had never done it before that but have really enjoyed the results.

I putt left-hand low, and my Spi instructor had me put my right index finger on the outside of my left fingers - not exactly parallel to the shaft, but pretty close. That was one of the things that impressed me the most about the SPi lesson - he made my grip feel totaly natural, comfortable, rock-solid, and so repeatable that by the end of the lesson it was automatic.

I think I did it many years ago when I first started but that only last a few months If I remember correctly. Don't do it now and have never really thought about doing it again.

No finger down the shaft for me. Tried it but it didn't seem to make a difference in my putting.

I have always putted this way. However after reading all the comments, I feel I may be changing that grip today. Since I recently changed to a SeeMore putter and JB learned through SPi that it is a no no it only makes sense.

I have always putted this way. However after reading all the comments, I feel I may be changing that grip today. Since I recently changed to a SeeMore putter and JB learned through SPi that it is a no no it only makes sense.
The SPI method is key, it will change your putting. I see the finger down the shaft all the time. I think folks use it as a guide of sorts.

I have never tried putting with my finger down the shaft. It just seems to me to be a little uncomfortable.

I used to, but I just couldn't get comfortable with it, when I did it, it was to get a feel of stabilizing the shaft and keeping my hand steady.

I putt with my finger down the shaft. I putted that way naturally as a kid. When I was a teenager, a pro corrected me and said no good player putts that way so I stopped.

Then Greg Norman came on the scene here in the 80s with his finger down the shaft. Once I saw him doing it, I went back and have continued for the last 30 years.

I do it because that is how I learned as a kid. I tried stopping this year because my putting was horrible and hardly any professionals do it, but my putting seemed to get worse. I was yanking everything left without my finger on the shaft. I don't do it when I use a DLL putter though.

I'll probably try to stop again over the winter.

The SPI method is key, it will change your putting. I see the finger down the shaft all the time. I think folks use it as a guide of sorts.
I don't think I really use it for anything as it really applies no real pressure to the shaft in my case. It's just comfortable so that's how I hold it.

I do it, and contrary to others it seems, I find it helps with stability and a straight forward/back stroke. If I try without it, I find sideways arc gets into my stroke. My putting is a pretty strong point in my game, so for now I see no reason to tinker.

You guys are making me doubt everything I've ever known!I've been doing this since I starting playing when I was like seven and its the only grip I've ever known.

You guys are making me doubt everything I've ever known!I've been doing this since I starting playing when I was like seven and its the only grip I've ever known.

If you are happy with your putting stroke then don't change it. There is no one correct method for any swing in golf and question anyone who says otherwise.

About 3 years ago I changed my grip to have the right index finger extended down the grip. I can't for certain it helps with stability but mentally I feel I have more control through the stroke. The corresponding improvement in my putting game since changing also can't be ignored.

See a lot of people do this, and have tried it but never seemed to help me much. Like other have said, have had much better luck doing the SPI methods.

About 3 years ago I changed my grip to have the right index finger extended down the grip. I can't for certain it helps with stability but mentally I feel I have more control through the stroke. The corresponding improvement in my putting game since changing also can't be ignored.

I'm with you. Just feels I have more control also

Back