Dialing back, what is easier?

I'm much better dialing down wedges because I practice it. I need to practice this more throughout my bag.

This is me too.....longer irons I have to admit I it scare the heck out of me...I start to feel like I'm steering the ball and bad things happen when I do that

This is me too.....longer irons I have to admit I it scare the heck out of me...I start to feel like I'm steering the ball and bad things happen when I do that
Same principal on a full swing. All you are doing to slow your tempo on or reducing the length of swing. Still swinging down the line or toward target

Same principal on a full swing. All you are doing to slow your tempo on or reducing the length of swing. Still swinging down the line or toward target

Thanks FK, I understand the concept pretty much..it's really something I need to practice throughout the bag.... Working on gaining control with each club in the bag is a goal of mine this winter. My swing is to solid to play as poor as I do.... Time to take charge

It's much easier for me to dial down my wedges. In fact, I prefer a partial wedge shot to a full one because it's easier to control.

There was a period during the season where I started hitting partial shots with my 8 and 9i. It was working great. To be honest, I'm not sure why I stopped, so I'm glad I found this thread; I'm putting on my list of things to do in 2014 practicing partial shots with my irons.

I'm most comfortable in the 8-PW area of my bag.

I tend to get chunky with a decel with the other wedges and then get too slow on the longer clubs which leads to an open face.

I really need to learn to stay aggressive with a shorter swing.

I typically will hit half shots when I am between distances. I also might consider a fade if the conditions allow to take a little distance off as well. If I try to swing slower, I usually lead with my upper body and pull everything

KG

Just Tapping Away

An interesting question, particularly given the diversity of answers.

I actually "dialed back" most all my clubs about 5 months ago. I lost yardage, gained considerable accuracy and dropped my handicap about four points, so that's permanent. But to try to answer the original question, at this point I tend to be better an letting a bit more off the shorter end of the bag, say 8 iron down. That said, I've been experimenting with different shots with my 7 wood as well since I haven't found a hybrid that I can love yet and I don't seem to hit my 4i much farther than my 5.

I hit most all my shots at much less than 100% which leaves something in the tank when a little extra is needed. I also practice shots with each iron at full, 3/4 and half swings for different distances. I mainly do this starting with a 7 iron, 8 iron and 9 iron. This gives you 9 or so different shots with three clubs. You have to be open minded with each club as they will do much more than just a standard full shot.

For me, I'd rather take an extra club and take a little off than to have to go hard with another club. Lot less can go wrong on less than full shots. At least for me anyway.

I would rather step on it than let off. Since I improved my swing last spring I find letting off to be harder because my "let off" swing has better rhythm than my regular swing and isn't let off as much as I expect.

From about the middle of last season my "step on it" swing has had better control and consistency than it did for a few years and is a better option most days.

I am one who currently makes sure I have "all" of the clubs on the bottom-end of the bag, so carry 4 wedges. I much prefer to take full swings throughout the bag, save for chips/pitches/short approaches into the green. As such, I focus on full swings, and change my hand position on the clubs to alter distances.

EDIT: Of course, I am thinking about transitioning to 3 wedges, and adding a 5 wood when the X2 Hot 5 Deep is released. Hmmm...

I'm definitely more attune to dialing back my wedges. I only carry three, a PW a GW and LW. The PW and GW are from my iron set so my only "real" wedge is my 58. I've been working hard in hitting all sorts of shots, high low long short, with all three clubs and I've got half and quarter swings dialed in. My long clubs are all full swing clubs save the occasional knockdown 3 hybrid. I just don't have the touch with taking something off my driver or 3 wood

via Tapatalk now Free

the key I found to leave the weight on the left side and be sure to fire those hips before you drop the club onto the ball. If you get the hands to shoulder height and fire the hips and swing the arms you'll hit crisp shots with the PW.

I love half shots with my 7i.

At the end of you next range session, set a side a few balls and work on half shots. The key is accelerate through theshot with your arms. But the hips still have to release
4i punch shots are great shots in the wind from middle of fairways.

I do this as well. You have to keep those hips moving through the shot. Dialing back usually means more arms and we tend to forget to rotate the lower body. Pay attention to this next time you have a half or 3/4 shot.

Usually caused by a quiet lower body and too much arm swing. Be sure you continue to rotate the hip through the shot, this should keep the club in front of you.

So when you say "fire the hips" do you mean rotate the lower body? Is this rotation to match the chest/sternum?

Another question (let me know if it needs its own thread): What's the difference between a punch shot and a 1/2 or 3/4 shot?

Thanks Freddie! I'm planning on working on these when I get a chance.

I have 4 wedges, and I prefer to hit 3/4 or half shots with those. I find better accuracy hitting a longer club 3/4 than a full shot at the bottom of the bag.

I like to hit partial shots and I practice them with all of my clubs. I find it easier to hit partial shots with my shorter clubs because of the shorter shaft length.

Sent from my Windows Phone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I just choke down on the lower lofted club and then I don't suffer from trying to ease into the shot. Same thing when I'm between wedges. My style may be a function of growing up with only a 3-5-7-9 for irons. I was in my teens before I ever saw a wedge.

Great thread Freddie !

I cover the wedge end with 4 of them(counting the pw).
The reason I do this is I am less comfortable hitting half or 3/4 shots with the shorter irons.
I seem to hit more bad shots when dialing back the clubs on that end.
I can choke down on them to accomplish this, but I tend to "get too cute" with those shots and leave a lot of them short.
For me, the longer irons, 4 thru 7, are the easiest for me to dial back.

When I first started playing I would like in my opinion a dummy try to step on everything. I have now found I much rather take a bit more club and take a half swing. I feel I go from 9 to 9 really well. But I have found it to be easier to do this.

I much prefer dialing back. I find that anytime I try and jump on a lesser club I always do something that's makes the situation worse. I am planning on getting rid of a wedge and making the top of the bag a little closer together and then just putting myself into a comfortable number.

This is probably what I am spending most of my time working on right now. Inside of about 150 yards I will typically try and hit a 3/4 shot. Seems I have more directional control that way, but still working on consistent yardages. Over 150 typically more of a full shot, and decide if it is is better to miss short or long given the trouble around the hole.

I find for me it is easier to dial back in my mid-irons, my 6, 7 and 8 irons. I do this by choking down on the club from 3/4 inch to an 1 inch and then taking a full swing.
I've put enough different wedges in my bag to cover majority of distances and I use the same method, choking down, for my wedges when necessary. I also will choke down on my driver occasionally when I need to keep t low and in the fairway and I'm comfortable with this.
I still think it's easiest for me currently with my mid-irons.

Good question Freddie.

For me, I'm comfortable dialing back most all of my clubs in needed situations. Being a "smaller guy" I grew up with a bit of a short guy complex, but found that with correct mechanics in my swing, I could hang with a lot of the long hitters. However, my size also worked to my advantage too, as I have a shorter, more compact swing. So dialing back a club with a compact swing is easier for me than most.

If I was to chose a side of the bag that I would like to improve on this, I would say my wedges. Mainly trying to dial in shots of around 20-40 yards. I usually only carry three wedges with my 56 being my highest loft, so keeping a shot of 35 yards on point, has been tough in the past.

With a compact swing, dialing back on a wood, or irons for me, is not that tough.

Back