A bit odd zigzagger of a P5 to play

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
An interesting and fun one imo. Many scenarios that can play out. Few different ways to attack it and few different ways to end up either on purpose or unintentionally. Seen it played fairly well every which way listed and anything in between and also seen it played horribly also every which way you can imagine.

Tee shot distances are from the white (one set in) tees. Tee shot distances are indicated along with what is remaining to the green "in a straight line". I only drew the yellow approach as reference to keep it neat and because that's about the last position for imo a decent fair,practical chance at a green shot to be on in two for the basic weekend hacker. May be?

The approaches for the most part have to come in to the green from its short side as you can see, carry the bunkers, not run across, and stay out of the woods lining the left side of the fairway.

The red and yellow tee shots are cutting the corner & carrying over trees. Seen a lot make it and a lot fail.

The orange tee shot will not cut or go over trees but will hug the tree line and carry the bunker to the fairway belly. This would seem to be the shot the design is asking you to take. At 230 give or take for the 'belly" landing area it could be driver/3w for some and/or a layup for some depending ones distance ability of course. And most likely a 3shot hole unless one can hit the late fade around the corner to gain more fairway placing you up near the yellow tee shot for a similar chance as well.

The green tee shot is simply what you see.

Note: I have seen enough balls especially between the orange and yellow routes (give or take some yardage) actually end up too far and run across the fairway into the left side rough. You leave the tee happy you made the carry over :) or got to the fw belly :) but then only till you walk and find you hit too far and its in the left rough :( with no good chance for the green. Just too many woods lining the remaining left side for a shot as well as being in thick rough. Even seen green tee shots too far and have ended up in that far bunker as well.

With a decent tee play I've been somewhere in between the middle of the posted scenarios (orange and yellow) a number of times but never better than par. Usually due to screwing up the not so easy approach. Never seen it eagled but seen many with a putting chance and sure its been done, seen it birdied, of course par'd and evrything worse. . It is doable. What would you hope to do here and how?

howell11_zpsfc301a24.jpg

Last edited:
It might not be the sexiest but I'd play to the corners.
200 from the tee with 3 hybo, 200 from the fairway with the 3 hybo and leave me 55ish yards for a 60* and on in 3 putting for bird. It probably wouldn't work out that way but that's how I would approach it.

Btw my route. If I'm driving real well at the time I might try for yellowish shot and hope for a tad bit lucky roll/bounces bit towards red and if not driving well and not feeling bold I try a 5w to the belly (orange route) which is my usual attempt.

Red line looks like it requires about a carry of 260-265 just to get past the cart path. Having a shorter iron is nice, but that seems awfully aggressive considering a slight push and who knows where the heck your ball is going to be. I'd take the yellow line every day. The odds of running through the fairway aren't too high. If it fades, it's a shorter shot. If it draws, it's still not too bad.

Red line looks like it requires about a carry of 260-265 just to get past the cart path. Having a shorter iron is nice, but that seems awfully aggressive considering a slight push and who knows where the heck your ball is going to be. I'd take the yellow line every day. The odds of running through the fairway aren't too high. If it fades, it's a shorter shot. If it draws, it's still not too bad.

yes, one must be long and accurate for the red one and with a slightest fade to keep it safe.

My gut says take the orange with a hybrid aiming a little right of the bunker to the fat part of the fairway. That gives me the option on the 2nd shot. If I'm playing decent I'm pulling hybrid again and going for the green.

I don't carry the ball too far. I'd likely try to take a path between the green and orange playing a fade. Hopefully just carry the bunker and run up the fairway. A miss hit would still leave me a playable layup shot for a 2nd and then have a 3rd shot into the green with a scoring club.

I'd probably pull 3W and try and aim along the orange line, hopefully with a slight draw. I'd then pull 2 hybo or 5W for my second shot, chip and putt. That's if everything is going my way, hehe.

I'd probably play it pretty boring right now. I don't have a lot of confidence in my driver distance or my fairway woods, so I'd probably take a 5 iron off the tee, then another 5 iron, leaving me somewhere around 100-150 yards, which is a really good distance for me. Walk away with maybe a birdie putt, but I would avoid the sand and the mess....and a big number.

Depends on how I am hitting my driver that day. If I am hitting it good I could attack the yellow line and I have a natural left to right movement on my driver. From there it would be a 5I into the green. If I am not hitting it good I would use my 3W and try to land somewhere between orange and yellow. Then I would hit towards the corner near the bunker and leave myself a short wedge shot on to the green.

I think I would play for the orange line. The way that green is tucked to the left, no sense going for it in 2. I think my 2nd shot would be a 5 iron and then a wedge all things positive of course. Pretty cool looking hole.

Looks like a fun hole. I'd probably either pull a 5W and aim between the orange and yellow, or a 3W and aim along the yellow. My lie and angle at the green from there would dictate if I go for it in 2. I'd be comfortable going at the green from maybe 220 and in, if it's a just for fun round.

I'd take the yellow line with driver and 5 iron.

Depending on how well I'm hitting my driver, I might take it over the corner, saying the trees off the tee won't come into play. I could also see a small fade around the corner with a 3W, too. If neither of those are working well enough, then I would have no problem taking it easy and hitting my 3 hybrid twice and getting home for an eagle or easy birdie.

I'd probably go the red line route with a driver then a 9 iron.

I'm taking the yellow line. 2 hybo and a 5 iron seems to be the smart play for me.

I'm pretty comfortable with hitting a cut with my driver so I'd likely try to hit something at or maybe just left of the orange line and cut it back into the fairway and hopefully end up somewhere around where that yellow line finishes. Wind conditions could be a factor in my decision.

I think i would try to hit it on yellow line with an "accidental" slight push, worst case is a punch out but the hole seems short enough to take the risk

I'd probably go the red line route with a driver then a 9 iron.

I thought if you chimed in Mulli, that would be your choice :) But I have seen it done enough times. Doable but like as mentioned, the yellow and up towards the red have also at times run across too far. But nice plays when they work.

Depends on how I'm playing. Safe play is easy. 4H to the corner, 7I, wedge. That's probably what I should always do on holes like this, but we all know that doesn't always happen... Otherwise, I'd go 3W or driver depending on the wind and how I'm hitting. Try to take that yellow line and leave myself 190-200 in for a nice 4H.

I'd take the wimpy route.

3W Orange Line
6I
58* into green

Also a huge thanks to Rollin for doing these every now and then, dude spends some time on these and its much appreciated

I'd take the wimpy route.

nothing wimpy at all to me about aiming for par with chance for bird.

I am usually all for the higher percentage play and good decisions but for some reason cutting over the top on this hole tends to happen a bit more often than expected. Possibly because those woods are not too heavily populated so some shots that may otherwise get caught if it was more dense possibly manage to luckily find daylight and get through and/or out. Not always better nor a sure thing at all but just a bit more often than usual..

Last edited:
Back