A bit odd zigzagger of a P5 to play

Also a huge thanks to Rollin for doing these every now and then, dude spends some time on these and its much appreciated

Very welcome :) and I picked it up from others here. JB has thrown some out time to time and that's what started me on it. :)
Sometimes its a time killer, sometimes its an escape from the reality stresses, sometimes its a wish that I could be on the course but cant. Today it was some fun after I got done shoveling, and clearing snow from my driveway, cars, walkway, etc. but one thing it always is imo is fun. I find it interesting to see how others think their way around holes.

U can clear that bunker with a 3W or driver right?

Yea I did see that after you mentioned it and there's a chance I'd go that route when I got on the tee box for sure.

I'd go for just a little bit left of the right line, then a 4i into the green.

Yea I did see that after you mentioned it and there's a chance I'd go that route when I got on the tee box for sure.

Yeah, we aint getting there in 2 so I can live with like a 3W, mid iron and a wedge into ANY par 5

Just ask yorkem, I nickle and dimed him all day Sunday at the MC

I'd take the wimpy route.

If you're going the safer route (wimpy is a bad word) then make sure you're short of the bunkers if you happened to lose it right or just started it further right than intended. 260 out but in a fairway bunker sucks and just makes the layup that much more difficult. Better to be 280 or even 290 out and having the choice of laying up to anywhere inside 150 if you want, vs having to do it because you decided the sand looked inviting.

I thought if you chimed in Mulli, that would be your choice :) But I have seen it done enough times. Doable but like as mentioned, the yellow and up towards the red have also at times run across too far. But nice plays when they work.

There is actually a hole similar to this on a course near where I live (Iron Horse Golf Club). It's a little bit longer, but very similar design. Each time I play it, I try to cut as much as possible. Doesn't always work, but it's a lot of fun when it does.

What I should do and what I do are oftentimes 2 totally different things.

Should do:

3h aimed at the left bunker, push is still in FW

7i or 8i to about 110-120

PW to green

Would do involves driver and the rest is unpredictable depending on how bad the miss was.

If I'm hitting driver well, I take the red line. If my driver play is suspect, I'm taking the yellow line and hope it doesn't get through the fairway. If my driver game is missing, I'd take hybrid over the bunker.

What I should do and what I do are oftentimes 2 totally different things.

Should do:

3h aimed at the left bunker, push is still in FW

7i or 8i to about 110-120

PW to green

Would do involves driver and the rest is unpredictable depending on how bad the miss was.

that's one of the interesting fun things about this hole. Depending on route of driver/tee shot attempted, a miss (although unintended) may not always only be bad but could possibly leave you in a number of still manageable situations just about anywhere in between whats indicated. Basically one can hit a pretty bomb but run across into trouble while yet another person can hit a so-so miss and be in better shape then he originally intended due to a favorable unintentional flight, bounce/roll. This hole can sometimes define the term "good miss" but also do the opposite..lol

Seems like I would have a tough time carrying the trees so the best play for me is three wood faded over the bunker and then whatever club gets me to 85 yards. Wedge it on and three putt for bogey.

Take the yellow line with a 5 wood with the hope to leave a mid iron to the green.

I'm thinking yellow line, try to draw it a little and get the ball between the yellow and red end points. 4 or 5 iron in to the green if i get it right. If I fade it a little, I'm a couple 50* wedges in to the green....In theory.

hybo on the orange line the 4/5i short of the green then an easy pitch to the green.

Depending on the day and the wind, I would either go driver on the yellow line and with my normal little cut, should be sitting great for an approach with a 4 iron or my hybrid.
If the day hasn't gone all the well or the wind comes into play, then I hit the hybrid from the tee on the orange line and then 3 wood to the green or lay up.

Depending on the day and the wind, I would either go driver on the yellow line and with my normal little cut, should be sitting great for an approach with a 4 iron or my hybrid.
If the day hasn't gone all the well or the wind comes into play, then I hit the hybrid from the tee on the orange line and then 3 wood to the green or lay up.

I'm curious to ask you something about the highlighted. Firstly I think you might be the only one who said to possibly play a 3w into this green for the longer approach. I'm sure a shot you can make often enough at your low cap ability and have a question for you.

I know of course this is only based on your view from the computer screen and it is what it is for that.
But I'm curious to ask (you as a good player) what type of 3w shot you would be looking to hit? Being you would be facing the green from the short side would you look to go straight at it to carry the bunkers and hope it doesn't run across or would you be looking to go a route such as heading far right and playing a heavy draw to try to come in the front door or even a bit short and roll it up and on?

I seriously had no idea what this thread was going to be about when I opened it...

I seriously had no idea what this thread was going to be about when I opened it...

It's late. That's enough "Johnnie Walker" for you :)
I guess I could have been more informative and its kind of funny cause I usually am guilty of too much writing. The one time I shorten things up and speak figuratively I'm in trouble. lol

Either boom it between red and yellow with a slight fade of play safe and go for 3 shots.

Tapping from my IPhone

I'd fancy the yellow route unless it was into wind

Since it's a dogleg right, and I'm a lefty, my fade off the tee would be less than ideal considering the width of the fairway. I'd have to go with a 3w off the tee and hit it at the 200 yard maker, which appears to be the fattest part of the fairway. From there, a high fade with a long iron at the middle of the green, and away from any trouble...hopefully

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This one sets up perfect for me to hit a 3 wood to the 250 yd area and leave the 5 iron from 190. If I was hitting the driver good I might consider going a little further right but that play might bring in some trouble.

KG

Just Tapping Away

Id go right of the red line and hope to catch it good and carry about 280ish and roll out to 295. then ill be 8iron in. The proceed to 3 put. Boom

Back