What do you look for when going to a driving range?

lukedogg

One shot at a time....
Reaction score
Handicap
Let me get a little more into detail. When you head to a facility to practice your game, what are some of the things that make you say "Wow..now this is a nice place". Is it the sheltered driving ranges? Layout? Sand traps to hit out towards the range to work on the fairway bunker game? Nice putting greens? Option to hit off mats/actual turf? What excites you?

What is the perfect range for you? Do you like a fully stocked pro shop on site?

A buddy of mine and myself have been tossing around the idea of what would make a great driving range/practice facility. We have a few around here but, none of them really stand out. Just grass and yardage markers.

I figure that this would be the best place to ask the right people. Thanks.

Please move this thread if it is in the wrong place.

Grass hitting areas.

Open area to hit off of the GRASS, enough room to be able to hit all clubs and dial in distances thanks to clearly marked flags/pins with yardages
Id love one with greenside traps to work on my game, and maybe 1 off to the side of the range to hit to practice fairway shots.
And a solid putting green with a few breaks in many directions seperate from the chipping green

A place where the grass tees are actually marked off so each golfer has the right amount of space. Also enough room that I can get away from the loud mouthed kids and the guy who is "teaching" his girlfriend how to play.

If I were describing my ideal practice area it would have:

Level hitting surfaces.
Bent grass. Can be a little fluffy.
No freaking weeds.
A lot of targets from 50-250 yards.
There would be targets that you didn't have to hit at odd angles towards from all spots on the range.

A practice bunker that has both short sided and regular length pins to hit towards.

A short game area for shots inside 70 yards with both fairway grass and rough.

Chipping green.

A big putting green that has both sloped areas and some flat spots.

Level hitting surfaces.
No freaking weeds.
There would be targets that you didn't have to hit at odd angles towards from all spots on the range.

A practice bunker that has both short sided and regular length pins to hit towards.

Chipping green.

Id buy a yearly range pass for this place RIGHT NOW

-Not only grass, but well maintained grass. Not just grass that is out in my yard.
-Balls that are changed out every so often
- A flat area without area to feel like you are not on top of your neighbor
- Greens at different yards
- A signs with marked yardages for the day
-A putting green with multiple holes and different breaks
-A 30-50 yard short game area

If only..

Grass tees, short game area, extensive putting green. And the balls have to be nice. And heated stalls. Then, an ideal set up includes a nice sitting area, bar area and stalls where you could go and hang out during the weekend with a group of people, order food and drinks, etc. Finally, a nice little 9 hole practice range.

There is a range in Glendora, CA that has all of this, except for the group of people in a stall kind of thing. Buckets are cheap too.

Id buy a yearly range pass for this place RIGHT NOW

My club last year was probably the closest to that I've found. I loved that place for the practice area alone.

I'm going to agree with pretty much everything posted here before, but number one for me would be grass hitting area.

My club last year was probably the closest to that I've found. I loved that place for the practice area alone.

Ohio courses/ranges SUCK

Best ones seem to always be in Florida

But alas Im stuck in OH. But I will be on the lookout for some solid options around me real soon

A short game area with uphill, downhill, sidehill lies.
A nice smooth fast putting green for putting only.
A big bunker area with 50, 70, and 90 yd targets.
A fairway bunker to hit long and mid irons out of.
space in between other golfers practicing on the range, no sardine stalls.
Cold clean water jugs.

I would have a set up like this

1. Being able to hit off grass. I am sure matts would be needed when it's too wet, etc., but must have grass
2. Clearly marked flags with distances marked. Maybe some fairway bunkers to help you work on carry distances, shot shapes, etc.
3. Short game area. Maybe one green with a couple of different bunkers & another green to work on short pitches/chips
4. large putting green. How big depends, but I hate putting greens where you feel like you are competing with others for holes to practice.
5. Pro shop is not high on my list, but definately needs to have some drinks/snacks..maybe some accessories like tees, golf towels, etc.

Ohio courses/ranges SUCK

Best ones seem to always be in Florida

But alas Im stuck in OH. But I will be on the lookout for some solid options around me real soon

I have a love/hate thing with FL ranges. They have a lot of features I like, but the grass is always that thin stuff with a foot of sand underneath. Blech.

Actual grass hitting areas. Targets. Accurate range markers. Practice bunkers (!) to a practice green.

If at a golf course, then the practice green bearing some resemblance to the putting surfaces of the course itself.

Level hitting surfaces.
No freaking weeds.

Chipping green.

I have to agree with this one. It's frustrating to have markers every 50-100 yards. I have yet to find a range that has a variety of markers dispersed throughout the range.

If mats are present I look to see if they have been rotated. If grass I look for the tightness of the grass and the level of repair to worn areas. If lite, I look for even lighting up and down range. Quality balls and nice shop with refreshments

This is some very solid feedback. Great input from everyone. Thanks!

Very rare, but I look for turf that reacts similar to what I would find on a golf course. So often you find grass that is grown on top of loose soil, and it just doesn't work for me. Get some firm turf in there. Decent balls and a short game facility are nice to have. Around here, there is one decent place, though it's a bit out of the way for me. The others are private courses.

Level hitting surfaces.
No freaking weeds.

Chipping green.

+1 - I would add a covered part as well because I don't mind playing or practicing in the rain, but some days you just want to stay dry or keep the sun out of your eyes. Also throw in lights so I can practice early in the morning or late at night.

Give me grass to hit from and some sort of accurate marked target every 25 yards from 50-250 and I would never wish for anything else from a range

I have to agree with this one. It's frustrating to have markers every 50-100 yards. I have yet to find a range that has a variety of markers dispersed throughout the range.

So are you looking for odd yardages? Does everyone like the concept of greens with flags present on the range? How about bunkers protecting the greens? I too agree with the level tees and solid turf conditions. Does anyone like lighted ranges for night time practice?

We have a pretty good one here. My only problem is the grass on the range is brutal. It does have pretty much everything else though.

Here is a picture of the range/short game area (which is right by those pine trees)

Some people who went to the IL invitational might recognize the name of the course

Screenshot2014-01-09at33444PM_zpsc2f92f5a.png

We have a pretty good one here. My only problem is the grass on the range is brutal. It does have pretty much everything else though.

Here is a picture of the range/short game area (which is right by those pine trees)

Some people who went to the IL invitational might recognize the name of the course

Screenshot2014-01-09at33444PM_zpsc2f92f5a.png

That's a neat looking range!

That's a neat looking range!

At the beginning of the season it's great when the grass isn't torn up. Best range balls I have hit in the area plus 4 greens to hit to with multiple flags on each green. I believe flags are posted at:

50,75,105,125,150,170, 200,225 (estimates). So definitely a good range of targets.

Back