Taylormade Tour Preferred CB Iron Review Thread

I thought like the speedblades they were promoting more loft ? these specs look almost identical to the previous model in terms of loft.

The loft campaign is centered on metalwoods.

And if im not mistaken, the speedblades are aggressive lofts and the tour preferred are more traditional.

Hawk,

in regards to feel, forgiveness, and workability... how would you compare them to mizuno's line... are the more like the 54's or 64's?

thanks

Haven't hit the 64's.

Really, nothing like the 54's at all. Better launch conditions, in both the CB's and MC's for me. Stronger ball flight and more distance.

MC's are probably less forgiving than the 54's. CB's probably more forgiving.

In terms of feel, the 54's win hands down. Not to say the TP's are bad (though I think some will have issues with the slotted clubs), but I thought the 54's were very nice.

Hawk do you think the slotted clubs feel/sound a lot different(for better or worse) than the non slotted?

Ugh. I hate getting nailed down to something like that lol. Yea, I think they are different. I'll be interested to hear what others think though.

Ugh. I hate getting nailed down to something like that lol. Yea, I think they are different. I'll be interested to hear what others think though.

how so?

Haha, how about this, are they more like the RocketBladez or Speedblades sound/feel wise...or a totally different beast.

You KNOW I had to ask.

Yea, I think they have some of that slotted sound/feel that we are familar with in the long/mid irons.

lol not trying to nail you down, your case is a little different anyway because it's a mixed set.
I'm interested in finding out myself. I haven't really spend too much quality time with the slotted clubs in the past. I think I have 2 rounds in with the Rbladez and have hit Pete's Sblades a little too.

Pardon my skimming, but here's a question. Speedblades have lower lofts, but achieved higher launch angle than the loft would otherwise suggest. It's a winning combination in my book.

For the TP CBs, the lofts are a bit weaker. How does the launch angle compare between a similarly lofted Speedblade and TP CB? I realize that would be tough to truly answer, since each TP CB appears to be 2* different in loft from its SpeedBlade counterpart.

~Rock

Pardon my skimming, but here's a question. Speedblades have lower lofts, but achieved higher launch angle than the loft would otherwise suggest. It's a winning combination in my book.

For the TP CBs, the lofts are a bit weaker. How does the launch angle compare between a similarly lofted Speedblade and TP CB? I realize that would be tough to truly answer, since each TP CB appears to be 2* different in loft from its SpeedBlade counterpart.

~Rock

Pretty much the same for me. I didn't see a huge divide in distance between the two on well struck shots either.

Interesting. So its possible I could have the smaller clubhead I'm used to but achieve similar launch angle and distance results. All I'd be sacrificing is a bit of forgiveness due to the size of the clubhead.

I foresee a trip to the simulator when I'm in Des Moines at the end of February.

Thanks Hawk.

~Rock

Just saw these at a local golf shop. Really like the looks of them. Put them next to the MC and just going off of looks there is nothing that would make me prefer the mc over the cb. Based on my memory I thought they appeared more compact than the older version. Also saw the AW that was with the set and that got me happy. Looking forward to when I can get some swings in with them.

Hope I can get somewhere soon to look and possibly swing these. They are not at the top of my must try list, but darn close. The mention of "More Compact" kind of has me worried a little.

Good stuff Dean. I was really curious about look from address between CB and MC but sounds like its a non issue.

Classic look at address with some added forgiveness sounds really good.

I swung all 3 of these yesterday once I finished drooling over them. They all look so good that you can't go wrong with any set with regards to "bag appeal". I hit the CB's best by a wide margin and I can't see myself ever choosing the MC or MB because the CB's have all their good traits in addition to more forgiveness. Yes please.

These were shorter than the Apex for me, but far more consistent with distance from shot to shot. Granted I'm not sure if those 2 clubs are after the same consumer.

Just saw these at a local golf shop. Really like the looks of them. Put them next to the MC and just going off of looks there is nothing that would make me prefer the mc over the cb. Based on my memory I thought they appeared more compact than the older version. Also saw the AW that was with the set and that got me happy. Looking forward to when I can get some swings in with them.

I saw the AW yesterday as well when I ordered my set. The AW is similar if not same design as the SpeedBlades AW/SW/LW and these had a lot of mention in the SpeedBlade thread. I for one hope it performs the same.

Those are great looking clubs! Can't wait to hit them and see how they perform!

Man I want to hit these bad. Sounds like a lot of love so far for the CB's, will be interesting to see if I can make the MC's work or not, or maybe in a combo. The MB's are surely beyond me gaming them haha

One thing that crossed my mind today when comparing the two side by side is if I would want a combo set. Really from what I say, again just by looks, I really don't see a need personally for adding another iron type to the set. I didn't think the 8-PW irons were huge or over sized really. Knowing my game, I know that if I had a blade or a muscle cavity in those scoring irons probably wouldn't give me any advantage over the CB version. Can't wait for this coming weekend to hear testers thoughts and once people start buying if they go the combo route.

I saw the AW yesterday as well when I ordered my set. The AW is similar if not same design as the SpeedBlades AW/SW/LW and these had a lot of mention in the SpeedBlade thread. I for one hope it performs the same.

I loved the way the AW looked in this set. I may have to search eBay when these start to become more available and pick one up.

I've been working hard on my iron game and I'm ready to hit the CB's now. I really miss looking down at my MP-57's and have wanted to go back to a more compact classic iron all year. After analyzing my game, the reason why my handicap is on the rise has nothing to do with my irons, it's off the tee and mental errors in judgment that are costing me now. I was actually more consistent with the shorter, heavier shafts than I am with the long, lightweight shafts in my current irons. It's nice to say you can hit a 7 iron 175 yards, but when you don't know where it's going it doesn't do a lot of good for your game.

So I'm feeling completely confident going back to a player's iron now.

Is it just me a little hesitant about the 5* gaps between the 9, PW and AW? I know I know, what's the big deal and I can always bend those 3 strong. There's companies like SCOR who preach 4* gaps on wedges, and something I've always been accustomed to. Hmmmmm, just thinking out loud I suppose.

Back