Steaks! How do you do them?

If you've never had a steak that's been cooked "blue", you're really missing out on something special.
Also referred to as "Pittsburgh". Your low end places typically can't do it right. It's a charred/seared outside and a raw inside.

Pittsburgh is completely different.

TTing

I should expand.

The goal of Pittsburgh is to burn the outside while leaving the inside rare to med-rare. Which is why they dip the meat on butter before searing it. The steel workers in Pittsburgh used to bring raw meat to work in the summer and while working way up high they would lay their meat on the hot steel and it would burn and cook.

Blue rare is using the grill ONLY to kill the bacteria. There is minor char, and the outside stays relatively soft and cooks very minimally.

TTing

Slightly off topic, but I ordered a pork chop at a restaurant in Maui, and they asked me how I wanted it cooked. I don't know if that's a Hawaii thing or what, but I wasn't messing around with undercooked pork, I went with well done.

Nowadays there are so many antibiotics in pork that you can actually cook it like beef with varying degrees of doneness without fear of disease. Don't take my word on it, look it up. That being said, I'm cooking pork throughout, it's just too ingrained in my head to do otherwise. Just an FYI.

Salt, pepper, medium +. Nothing else.

Anyway I can get em :hungry::thumb:

Quote me on this. I'm making picana at the Morgan cup. A treat you guys will love

Quote me on this. I'm making picana at the Morgan cup. A treat you guys will love

Perhaps in HHI too. Just to be sure there's even coverage.

:Alien

(Caveat: all bets are off until I google "picana")

Salt, Pepper, Butter

Rare to Medium Rare

Good to go.

Really depends on what I have around. I've done a bunch of the seasonings, rubs, etc. My go to is marinade in 50/50 soy and worcestershire sauce. Doesn't have to be forever, an hour is enough. Then get the grill nice and hot, 4-5 minutes, flip, 4 minutes, flip, 1 minute. I sprinkle garlic salt on each side while it's cooking as well. If you're adverse to that much flipping, you can put the garlic salt in the marinade. Super basic but no complaints yet!

All I do with my steak is before it goes on the grill, I put garlic, pepper and Season-All on it. Do the same when I flip it. Medium rare. No steak sauce needed on a good steak. If you see me using any, it wasn't cooked right. Ribeyes are what we buy when we grill, and what I buy when we go out.

Try this Smalls. I got this from Paula Deen's Standing Rib Roast Recipe, but have been using this seasoning on my steaks for about 5 years now. It is easy to make and the best general seasoning I have ever used for almost anything! I take seasoning and rub on fresh steaks. Cover and let come to room temp and then grill to taste. Ribeyes for me too BTW.

House Seasoning:
1 cup salt
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder
Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

JM

I'll do that, but substitute Season-All for the salt!

Try this Smalls. I got this from Paula Deen's Standing Rib Roast Recipe, but have been using this seasoning on my steaks for about 5 years now. It is easy to make and the best general seasoning I have ever used for almost anything! I take seasoning and rub on fresh steaks. Cover and let come to room temp and then grill to taste. Ribeyes for me too BTW.

House Seasoning:
1 cup salt
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder
Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

JM

That was the exact recipe for a "House Seasoning" that I used in another recipe. I think I got it off of Food.com

I looked up the Kona Steak recipe from when I ordered it at Capital Grille (first page post) and I actually found this from a chef at Capital. I'm going to try this at home. Seems really really easy to make. Not as straight forward as season all and pepper, but pretty simple non the less. Hope you try this and enjoy!!
http://www.kshb.com/dpp/lifestyle/food/kona-crusted-sirloin-with-shallot-butter

I have found a way to make my steaks come out soft and juicy 100% of the time, no matter how well done I cook them...heres my trick..

Go ahead and pre prep however you like...seasonings, tenderizer, whatever.

Melt a decent amount of butter or margarine in a coffee cup or small salsa bowl. 1/4 to 1/2 stick is plenty for up to 4 good sized steaks... go ahead and mix in whatever seasonings you use with the butter. Get a small basting brush and get ready to grill.

I use much higher heat than i used to. Hot enough to put some nice char marks on the meat. I flip the meat over very frequently during the entire cook time. Every time I flip it over I brush the butter mix on the side thats about to go down. When you flip it some of that butter will drip onto your fire, and will produce lots of smoke...that smoke not only penetrates the meat with flavor but moisture as well. Keep brushing the butter on every time you flip the steak. Doing this will allow you to go all the way up to WELL DONE, hot and brown in the center, but still be as tender and juicy as the rarest steak you have ever bit into.

I actually do this procedure with any kind of meat that i grill...steaks, tenderloin, porkchops, ribs, etc etc and without fail everything is super tender and moist every time. Everybody in my family and my wifes family begs me to run the grill when I am somewhere a grill is burning, and all of my neighbors tend to pop by for a visit every time they see smoke rolling from my deck. Give it a try sometime...you will never grill without it after you do.

I'll try that darnall.

I have found a way to make my steaks come out soft and juicy 100% of the time, no matter how well done I cook them...heres my trick..

Go ahead and pre prep however you like...seasonings, tenderizer, whatever.

Melt a decent amount of butter or margarine in a coffee cup or small salsa bowl. 1/4 to 1/2 stick is plenty for up to 4 good sized steaks... go ahead and mix in whatever seasonings you use with the butter. Get a small basting brush and get ready to grill.

I use much higher heat than i used to. Hot enough to put some nice char marks on the meat. I flip the meat over very frequently during the entire cook time. Every time I flip it over I brush the butter mix on the side thats about to go down. When you flip it some of that butter will drip onto your fire, and will produce lots of smoke...that smoke not only penetrates the meat with flavor but moisture as well. Keep brushing the butter on every time you flip the steak. Doing this will allow you to go all the way up to WELL DONE, hot and brown in the center, but still be as tender and juicy as the rarest steak you have ever bit into.

I actually do this procedure with any kind of meat that i grill...steaks, tenderloin, porkchops, ribs, etc etc and without fail everything is super tender and moist every time. Everybody in my family and my wifes family begs me to run the grill when I am somewhere a grill is burning, and all of my neighbors tend to pop by for a visit every time they see smoke rolling from my deck. Give it a try sometime...you will never grill without it after you do.

Great tip, I'll try this. Using a kettle type grill, I've always been afraid to open the top any more than the twice when I'm flipping the meat, but what the heck it's worth a try. I cook all my fish in butter and lemon, comes out flakey and moist, so why not beef!?

I know what you mean about taking the lid off.... whats awesome though is when you turn one, butter drips on the fire, and just as it starts smoking you can put the lid on and within seconds the vents look like the smoke stack on a locomotive... if you fear that you are loosing your moisture by having the lid off just splatter some of the butter directly on the coals right before you put the lid back on each time...it darn near has a pressure cooker effect on the meat with all that smoke rolling inside the grill

BTW...I also use a kettle type grill...charcoal...and I think that is the best way to make the butter method really effective.

I know what you mean about taking the lid off.... whats awesome though is when you turn one, butter drips on the fire, and just as it starts smoking you can put the lid on and within seconds the vents look like the smoke stack on a locomotive... if you fear that you are loosing your moisture by having the lid off just splatter some of the butter directly on the coals right before you put the lid back on each time...it darn near has a pressure cooker effect on the meat with all that smoke rolling inside the grill

BTW...I also use a kettle type grill...charcoal...and I think that is the best way to make the butter method really effective.

Very good, thanks for the tips, I'll put them to the test soon. Do you cook your steaks to a time, a look, or a temp? I myself have always checked at a certain time and pulled when they reach the temp I like.

Salt and garlic pepper seasoned on each side. Grill that sucker to a nice medium, serve with some sugar snap peas or green beans and a baked potato. MONEY!

Very good, thanks for the tips, I'll put them to the test soon. Do you cook your steaks to a time, a look, or a temp? I myself have always checked at a certain time and pulled when they reach the temp I like.

I just kinda eyeball em regarding time, and when I think they are ready I will poke a meat thermometer in one or cut into it to check internal color....they are so moist cutting them does no damage whatsoever... as far as a look...I want char marks, and everytime the butter falls onto the fire the fire jumps up and helps char them... as for temp, just as hot as i can make that fire which helps it maintain heat with the lid off so much...internally I can get them to 160-180 without fear of them drying out from being cooked so well done. A common rule of thumb for meat being properly cooked is 165-180 internally, but a rare or medium steak by definition isn't anywhere near that hot so again my eyeball has the final say on when they're done.

I just kinda eyeball em regarding time, and when I think they are ready I will poke a meat thermometer in one or cut into it to check internal color....they are so moist cutting them does no damage whatsoever... as far as a look...I want char marks, and everytime the butter falls onto the fire the fire jumps up and helps char them... as for temp, just as hot as i can make that fire which helps it maintain heat with the lid off so much...internally I can get them to 160-180 without fear of them drying out from being cooked so well done. A common rule of thumb for meat being properly cooked is 165-180 internally, but a rare or medium steak by definition isn't anywhere near that hot so again my eyeball has the final say on when they're done.

Good stuff, thanks. I'm kind of funny about not cutting into them, but after working restaurants most my life its important to have them done enough. I poke a thermo in to see the temp and like mine in the 150 range, but liz likes her's pretty done, so 170* for her's.

HAHA...I was a restaurant manager for 10 years...I am "Serve safe" certified, and I am exceptionally anal about food safety..So much so that I go inside and do a quick wash on my utensils every time i touch food with them, I never let my basting brush touch the food until i know it is good and hot on the surface, and I never eat anything until I know the inner temp... my paranoia is exactly what pushed me into figuring out a way to cook meat well done and still have it tender and juicy.

In my house, it's done two different ways every stupid time.
My wife likes hers cooked to boot leather, so, I pull hers out and let it sit for a bit. Then, salt pepper, garlic powder, little olive oil. Start on low, to cook the inside without completely charring the outside. Takes a little longer, but she likes it that way - ugh!

I refuse to ruin my meat, so, when I throw hers on, I liberlally salt my ribeye and leave it sit. When hers gets close to done, I throw mine on, 3 to 4 mins a side. Comes out perfect mid rare.

Now what kills me in this whole thing is that she will ONLY eat sirloin. Nothing else, as she hates any and all fat on meat, period. If she sees it before the meat is thrown on, she won't eat it.

A good family friend of ours is the Executive Chef for Hereford House in Shawnee, KS. We go out to see him maybe once a year or so, and every time she orders, the server will spend an additional 10 minutes either trying to get her to order a different cut, or order less than well done. She has yet to budge. Our buddy just laughs about it now, and has even warned our servers that she is going to order it like this and you can't talk her out of it. The first time she did it, tho, he came out and talked to her about it and when she refused to budge, I swear I thought he was going to cry on his way back to the kitchen.

In my house, it's done two different ways every stupid time.
My wife likes hers cooked to boot leather, so, I pull hers out and let it sit for a bit. Then, salt pepper, garlic powder, little olive oil. Start on low, to cook the inside without completely charring the outside. Takes a little longer, but she likes it that way - ugh!

I refuse to ruin my meat, so, when I throw hers on, I liberlally salt my ribeye and leave it sit. When hers gets close to done, I throw mine on, 3 to 4 mins a side. Comes out perfect mid rare.

Now what kills me in this whole thing is that she will ONLY eat sirloin. Nothing else, as she hates any and all fat on meat, period. If she sees it before the meat is thrown on, she won't eat it.

A good family friend of ours is the Executive Chef for Hereford House in Shawnee, KS. We go out to see him maybe once a year or so, and every time she orders, the server will spend an additional 10 minutes either trying to get her to order a different cut, or order less than well done. She has yet to budge. Our buddy just laughs about it now, and has even warned our servers that she is going to order it like this and you can't talk her out of it. The first time she did it, tho, he came out and talked to her about it and when she refused to budge, I swear I thought he was going to cry on his way back to the kitchen.

Can I be friends with you so that I can also become friends with an executive chef at Hereford House? LOL.

Back