The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally know what you are going through, to me it feel like Im stuck and not moving and losing all kinds of power cause im so used to the slide

Exactly! I just feel like I have nowhere to go from the top, where with the slide I have no choice in where to go or I'll hit 2 feet behind the ball.

I know in my head that the reason is that I just need to learn where to go from there and that the power will probably come somewhat easily, but it is very tough to remain logical.

Exactly! I just feel like I have nowhere to go from the top, where with the slide I have no choice in where to go or I'll hit 2 feet behind the ball.

I know in my head that the reason is that I just need to learn where to go from there and that the power will probably come somewhat easily, but it is very tough to remain logical.

I started trying to stop the move by literally not moving the lower half of my body at all just to get a feel from the top down what the swing should be, but good lord it felt and had to look awful

I started trying to stop the move by literally not moving the lower half of my body at all just to get a feel from the top down what the swing should be, but good lord it felt and had to look awful

I think the slide lets me get away with limited flexibility, so I thought I'd start some stretching. I actually looked into this crazy golf fitness program a local place offers too. Just not sure I have the time available.

I need to get off my butt and go work on not letting my right knee straighten out and left hip dip to the ball.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I think the slide lets me get away with limited flexibility, so I thought I'd start some stretching. I actually looked into this crazy golf fitness program a local place offers too. Just not sure I have the time available.

You touched on my off season improvement goals...not swinging the club but getting more flexible to create more separation. While I haven't been hitting balls this off season I have spent a lot of time stretching and trying to strengthen the core. Now the screws in the back don't help the matter, but need to loosen things up in the back and hips. One of the discussions in lessons last year that was leading to swing issues I hope to fix early this season.

You touched on my off season improvement goals...not swinging the club but getting more flexible to create more separation. While I haven't been hitting balls this off season I have spent a lot of time stretching and trying to strengthen the core. Now the screws in the back don't help the matter, but need to loosen things up in the back and hips. One of the discussions in lessons last year that was leading to swing issues I hope to fix early this season.

He's got some good stretches for hips and shoulder. Did he show you them?

He's got some good stretches for hips and shoulder. Did he show you them?

He gave me a couple using the large ball / medicine mostly and picked up a few off the TPI website as well

I looked at a little video from Sunday's session. My move back is actually better than I expected. Better than it's looked in a long time. I didn't take the club back nearly as far as I had been and looks like I'm not sucking it in so bad. Yay.

Bad news is that my upper body is moving forward on the down swing. Bye-bye power. That's nothing new and I think will have to be the next thing I work on. Going to stick to takeaway and backswing for another week though first.

Doing some work in the mirror tonight, keeping the right knee pointed at the ball and bend staying in the leg.

Not letting my right hip slide back and straighten my leg is terribly tough.

I love having the big mirror as I can see where I am in the swing as well as feeling it.

Went to the range and bagged my CMB's and Vrs Forged irons on Saturday with the girlfriend (yep you read that right...yes). Pleasantly surprised that the CMB's were doing well, but couldn't get over how much farther the Nike's were going. Understandable, but was fun to watch the two head to head. Hadn't ever done that before.

Another net session last night, this time going from PW all the way up to 5i and then finished the session with some MD2 work. My overall takeaway is a million times better than it used to be, even a month ago, but my shaft angle in the takeaway is too shallow right now and it needs to be a bit more upright in the back swing. Still have a slight dip with my left shoulder towards the ball when I begin the downswing, no doubt a product of still trying to get ride of the dreaded baseball swing. Club path for the first time ever is consistently in to out instead of out to in.

Still have some work to do, but I just feel like my ball striking has gotten so much more consistent and that is something I am really happy about.

I looked at a little video from Sunday's session. My move back is actually better than I expected. Better than it's looked in a long time. I didn't take the club back nearly as far as I had been and looks like I'm not sucking it in so bad. Yay.

Bad news is that my upper body is moving forward on the down swing. Bye-bye power. That's nothing new and I think will have to be the next thing I work on. Going to stick to takeaway and backswing for another week though first.

That is my main focus right now too, takeaway and backswing. Still lots of winter unfortunately to move on to fixing the small things in the rest of my swing.

First lesson TONIGHT!

That is my main focus right now too, takeaway and backswing. Still lots of winter unfortunately to move on to fixing the small things in the rest of my swing.

It's actually been a little easier of a fix than I thought, which is nice. The only issue is where to go from the top. I can see on video what I am doing vs what I should be doing, but getting that feeling is a bit tough. I'm going to ask Panda for advice on that next time we chat.

First lesson TONIGHT!

Boom. Have fun!

Have fun man, nothing to be terrified about! Lessons are fun and enlightening!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Thanks dude. I'm excited to LEARN more about the swing. I know a lot of what I'm doing and how I should be fixing it, but I really find myself needing new eyes and new descriptions as I learn best that way.

Had probably the best range session I've had in a year! Lately I have been losing everything to the right and its felt like I'm just slightly blocking. I've been playing with my grip and strengthening it significantly and liking what I'm seeing. Today I tweaked my stance and really opened it up and voila(!), everything was struck incredibly solid and was flying straight with a slight draw. So excited to keep working on it! It felt so natural to have the stance opened up so wide and that is the most encouraging thing, how great it felt! Can't wait to get back out there.

Gotta love that Heez.

I went out at lunch to putt and hit some balls. Last 50-ish day for a while here, so I thought I would take advantage.

Putting was better. I saw a tip about keeping your thumbs and index fingers together, which quiets the hands during the putting stroke. It worked! I was back online and making putts again. It's amazing how handsy I want to get with my putting when I'm not thinking about it.

I just hit a bunch of irons today. Lots of knockdowns and a few full shots as well. I tried to hit a forced fade a few times, with poor results. Mostly a fat block instead of anything looking like a fade. At any rate, normal ball striking produced a high draw, and everything was generally going where I wanted. I really like where my swing is right now.

Question for everyone. Since i live in the north central of Illinois I still can't get out on the course. Should I start lessons now or maybe wait till I can use what I have been tought out on the course. I don't want to practice at a heated range or inside not be able to go out on the course. I think the best Idea is probably go take lessons now so I can get my game figured out and fixed early before its to late.

Now. No question.

Question for everyone. Since i live in the north central of Illinois I still can't get out on the course. Should I start lessons now or maybe wait till I can use what I have been tought out on the course. I don't want to practice at a heated range or inside not be able to go out on the course. I think the best Idea is probably go take lessons now so I can get my game figured out and fixed early before its to late.

AS hawk said now is ideal, keep the swing going in the winter months, get everything locked in and then when the weather turns you will be ready to take it outdoors

I like to practice into nets for swing fixes and changes. I find I make more progress when "not" watching my ball flight. Once it's warm and I'm outside it's easy to tweak my new swing changes for ball flight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back