Better putting through.....

Michigan Slice

This Guy Cant dance...
Reaction score
Handicap
Putting can make or break a round, we all know that!
Nothing better than being supremely confident with the flatstick.

What are your thoughts/ practices to ensure your putting strikes decline on your rounds?

For me there are a couple theories.
Of course practice, practice, practice! Getting a confident repeatable stroke is important. Been practicing putter face control and tempo here.

Also, I'm looking at my short irons and wedges to improve my putting numbers. Getting better with my wedges and short irons will allow me to be more aggressive (smart but aggressive) attacking pins.
The closer I can get with these clubs the better.
Better putting through better wedge play!

These areas of my game will continue to get a lot of attention to help me post lower scores!

I want repeatability. No fluctuation or variation in my putting stroke.

From there, its just the line that I pick and the shoulder rock I used to dictate the distance.

I have stuck with the same practice routine for awhile now and it's worked well for me.

I focus mostly on lags and shorter (<7 feet) putts, because those are what I see most often. Not to say I don't practice mid-range putts, but not nearly as much. If I have good touch from farther away + confidence when I'm close I'll putt well every time.

From there, its just the line that I pick and the shoulder rock I used to dictate the distance.

^^^This, so much this.

I don't worry so much about my total number of putts declining. I want to make a good stroke more than worry about how many putts I took. Total putts is just a number, and not the tell-all of how well you putted. Check out this thread: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?15605-Putts-Per-Round-Overrated-Number.

You want to get your putts per round under 30? Miss more greens and chip on more. Eliminate that first putt with a chip. Especially if you are chipping, chutting or using a putter from just off the green (or on the fringe).

What are your thoughts/ practices to ensure your putting strikes decline on your rounds?

Of course practice, practice, practice! Getting a confident repeatable stroke is important. Been practicing putter face control and tempo here.

Also, I'm looking at my short irons and wedges to improve my putting numbers. Getting better with my wedges and short irons will allow me to be more aggressive (smart but aggressive) attacking pins.

These areas of my game will continue to get a lot of attention to help me post lower scores!

You can thank me later: http://www.amazon.com/Unconscious-P...&qid=1389711808&sr=8-1&keywords=dave+stockton

So perfectly well said. The SPi method is a godsend for this. Following Howzat's review thread of the online lessons was flat out amazing.

After watching ATLClive75 do his thing, I made the request to my wife and she bought me Unconscious Putting for Christmas. Looking forward starting to read it soon.

I just can't figure my putting out. Right now my lag putting is better than it has ever been. I am leaving the ball close or making putts from 25+ feet at a very nice clip. It's the short and mid range putts that are giving me fits.

I know putting consists of alot of technique and we all differ slightly in our technique but I think alot of putting is also mental.

Why i think its mental? I find that strangely enough I often tend to putt better from mid and longer range vs closer in. i think I'm more mentally relaxed from further away because the pressure and expectation of sinking it is less demanding. We are supose to make 4,6, and 8 foot putts etc. But double digits away and further I only expect to get it close. Because of that more relaxed mindset i actually sink plenty of them and if i miss its more often closer than the shorter ones.

There are times i almost (sarcastically speaking) would rather be 17 feet away vs 5 feet. I've even had fellow golfers comment jokingly that I should play to purposely leave myself with longer putts. It has sparked quite a few laughs and friendly comments from time to time with many strangers I've played with when seeing me sink a 20 footer with slopes here and a 15 footer there and come within inches from 30 feet and even sink one of those ocasionally yet then also miss two straight on 4 footers on falt level ground. Its quite funny :) ..but not really:(

While all of golf contains a ton of mental aspects, I believe that when it comes to putting, that part is used as a scape goat for those that believe there is not a lot to learn technique wise since the stroke is minimal compared to the full swing.

I used to think the exact same thing until I took putting lessons.

While all of golf contains a ton of mental aspects, I believe that when it comes to putting, that part is used as a scape goat for those that believe there is not a lot to learn technique wise since the stroke is minimal compared to the full swing.

wouldnt disagree and i'm sure there is a lot about the putting stroke but feeling the mental pressure of "must sink this" from closer in does exist for me vs when further out where just looking to get close. It just eases the mind. Its the same (sort of) mental pressure when one may previously sink several putts in a row from shorter distance but then when its for a birdie all of a sudden you miss it and it may even be one of the easiest ones vs what you just made on previous holes.

I have stuck with the same practice routine for awhile now and it's worked well for me.

I focus mostly on lags and shorter (<7 feet) putts, because those are what I see most often. Not to say I don't practice mid-range putts, but not nearly as much. If I have good touch from farther away + confidence when I'm close I'll putt well every time.

A whole lot of win right here. Cut out 3 putts, maybe even sink one from long range on the lag practice. And getting automatic from 7 and in shoots my scrambling % way up. When these are working, I start to string several holes together at even par or better

Confidence and this^^^, plus letting it happen and not aiming the putt if you will.

wouldnt disagree and i'm sure there is a lot about the putting stroke but feeling the mental pressure of "must sink this" from closer in does exist for me vs when further out where just looking to get close. It just eases the mind. Its the same (sort of) mental pressure when one may previously sink several putts in a row from shorter distance but then when its for a birdie all of a sudden you miss it and it may even be one of the easiest ones vs what you just made on previous holes.

The is where a repeatable routine, set-up, and stroke help me take the mental and physical pressure out of the equation. If I do those 3 things the same everytime, I can basically aim, fire, and expect to make the putt.

I'm the same way, I was CONVINCED I was all mental on the greens, in reality my technique was atrocious. Discovering you can take SO many variables out of the equation from little things like posture and position alone is a complete game changer. My putting used to be hot or cold, now its one areas I really feel like I can always count on in my round.

The is where a repeatable routine, set-up, and stroke help me take the mental and physical pressure out of the equation. If I do those 3 things the same everytime, I can basically aim, fire, and expect to make the putt.

Bingo. Its me, my line, my chosen shoulder rock.

Some very good thoughts in here. The SPI really works. I really need to practice it more.

What he said! I am also working on making my pre-swing routine as consistent and repeatable as possible. Some of this will have to wait until I get outside (reading break, etc), but I want my practice strokes to be from behind the ball, probably while looking at the hole, just to get the right feel for speed. Then step up, align, look at the cup, look down at the ball, move my thumbs off and back on to trigger the swing & remove any tension (Thanks Jman!), and rock my shoulders.

Although I have been a user of drawing lines on the ball & using them to aligning my direction, (and it does helpf for longer putts), I'm trying to make my entire routine and swing very natural & less mechanical, with no hesitations or chances for doubt and/or hitches to creep in. Plus - Carfangia is always on my *ss to do this less mechanical, more feel stuff, and I don't want him to be angry haha!

I'm the same way, I was CONVINCED I was all mental on the greens, in reality my technique was atrocious. Discovering you can take SO many variables out of the equation from little things like posture and position alone is a complete game changer. My putting used to be hot or cold, now its one areas I really feel like I can always count on in my round.

AND...once you feel that sense of confidence, I'm convinced it also allows you to putt more aggressively & go for holing out longer putts. And being confident makes for less stress & less physical errors too. So you got that going for you...which is nice!

I agree on both accounts. There was a thread a while back on measuring putts per round & what did it really mean. Ahh, here it is:

Definitely concur that better wedge play equates to a lot less feet of putts, so more chances at one-putting.

The main thing with putting practice is - make sure it's quality practice. You know how I feel about SPi lessons - that's the key to you getting better. Have you planned on doing SPi lessons sometime, CJ?

Anything past 12 feet I play the big circle little circle game.
Cutting out 3 puts and 4 puts will shave a ton of strokes off your game.

Plus I am very very confident with puts from 6-12 feet

I used to take putting as a after thought to the game. Read the green, just walked to the ball and hit it, hoped it would go in.

Last year I took it to a point with my driver to always set up the same way, and thought about doing the same thing with putting, and read how to make a more consistent putt each and everytime, needless to say the last half of the year was probably my best in terms of putting. I also abide by the 3ft circle rule on long putts, just get it close to avoid a 3 or 4 putt, and if it goes in it goes in.

I agree that putting is just a number an not a 100% accurate way to look at how you played, but I always shoot for 2 putts per hole as an average.

To have the success on the green that I do....I focus on a few things.

1. I hold the putter more with my right hand than my left...Almost as a one handed putt (I'm right handed and I putt left hand low)
2. I keep my head down as long as possible,until I'm sure my stroke is done. (I believe it helps keep me from pushing/pulling)
3. I try to make sure my forearms have fully followed through towards my target. (Helps me get the ball to the hole. "A good percentage of balls that don't get to the ball, don't go in".
4. Practice, practice practice....Especially the one handed putts. I hit at least 25% of my practice putts with my right hand. Makes me have to keep a slow, steady tempo with my head down. (My #1 practice suggestion to anyone.)

Practice, practice, practice...

For every trip to the range, I have at least 2-3 to the putting green. I work on variety of distances, but I focus mostly on the 5 to 10 foot range. I try to maintain a consistent and repeatable routine for every putt. One thing that keeping a routine does for me is that it keeps me from sitting over the ball and over thinking the putt. Establish a routine and trust it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back