Cleveland 588 Hybrid Preview

You Da Man!! That is good news! Leery has turned into encouragement!!

Yep, you'll enjoy, I really think so. Didn't get it off the tee today on the 4 I played, but the deck its become a lot of fun from.

Jman, does the matrix shaft play to flex and how would you compare it to the Miyazaki 59(mashie shaft)?
Do you think with the less offset it is a little easier to line up to use as a chipping club off the green?
For those of you considering two the 18* and 23* give a good distance gap and you can choke up on the 18* to lessen distance, at least it works for me in the mashie line. Another thought that a friend of my used to do is get a 18* and 23* and have cleveland put the shaft of the 3 hybrid in them and have them swingweighted correctly for the shaft length difference. Just a thought.

Jman, does the matrix shaft play to flex and how would you compare it to the Miyazaki 59(mashie shaft)?
Do you think with the less offset it is a little easier to line up to use as a chipping club off the green?
For those of you considering two the 18* and 23* give a good distance gap and you can choke up on the 18* to lessen distance, at least it works for me in the mashie line. Another thought that a friend of my used to do is get a 18* and 23* and have cleveland put the shaft of the 3 hybrid in them and have them swingweighted correctly for the shaft length difference. Just a thought.

True to flex for me, no doubt. Hard to compare just bc of the weight alone, but the Miya was way more "active" feeling to me, this is much more of a "stable" overall feel.

Haven't tried it there yet, I'll get it in for ya tomorrow.

So, Nate, just for you buddy post lesson I went out to a couple spots on the course and went with the 588 20.5. From 228 and 224 respectively I put the ball either pin high or on the green. Piercing beautiful high ball flight, effortless feel, impressive distance. I'm impressed a lot by this head/shaft combo. You'll get the distance you seek from it with your swing, I know it.

That's tough, I'm a J40 fan. There are a few good similarities in it from address though and obviously some differences...I'll get a side by side up for you tomorrow.

I love reading the combo is working out for you my man. I also love these words.

I love reading the combo is working out for you my man. I also love these words.

I'm gonna squeeze another session in tonight with it before I conclude my testing and put it all down into review form, couple more things I want to try out with it but Cleveland has done well here IMO.

Let me tell you all something.

I SUCK at hitting hybo off the deck, and I mean like real bad. Top, thin or push right are the shots of choice with most hybos.

UNTIL I HIT THIS THING.

Jman let me try his out, and I was immediately blow away. Hit it from some pretty tight range grass on Saturday and was just stunned with the results. I think I hit about 12 shots and all but 1 were for me long/straight and just downright impressive. It wasnt a high ball flight at all, but it carried enough and seemed to have some solid roll out beyond my carry points.

Nothing special off the tee for me, very similar distance wise to other hybos Ive gamed, but the fact I could rock it off the deck has me excited to game a hybo again for the first time in a long time.

I SUCK at hitting hybo off the deck, and I mean like real bad. Top, thin or push right are the shots of choice with most hybos.

UNTIL I HIT THIS THING.

Jman let me try his out, and I was immediately blow away. Hit it from some pretty tight range grass on Saturday and was just stunned with the results. I think I hit about 12 shots and all but 1 were for me long/straight and just downright impressive. It wasnt a high ball flight at all, but it carried enough and seemed to have some solid roll out beyond my carry points.

Nothing special off the tee for me, very similar distance wise to other hybos Ive gamed, but the fact I could rock it off the deck has me excited to game a hybo again for the first time in a long time.

Mike was indeed hitting this one quite well, well enough I made sure to get it back as a matter of fact.

It's legit people. I mean it.

UNTIL I HIT THIS THING.

Love hearing this man. I remember from our round in CT how much you hated hitting hybos. Get after it buddy!! I think Cleveland is going to be an awesome match for you.

UNTIL I HIT THIS THING.

I love love love reading this. This hybo has me more excited than any other for the coming year.

Cleveland 588 Hybrid Preview

This will probably be in my bag prior to the MC. I think I'll make a purchase to get ready.

I really mean this, you'll like it.

Unfortunately I just bought an altitude 4 iron which is almost the exact same loft that I'm looking at.

Good to know Mike! I only struggle with lower lofted hybos off the deck. If I reshuffle the top of my bag this year, these are definitely on the list!

Good to know Mike! I only struggle with lower lofted hybos off the deck. If I reshuffle the top of my bag this year, these are definitely on the list!

yeah dude, night and day from anything else I had hit before

yeah dude, night and day from anything else I had hit before

How's the distance compared to your J40 3H? I liked the 3H but couldn't control the 2H for some reason.

How's the distance compared to your J40 3H? I liked the 3H but couldn't control the 2H for some reason.

real tough to tell, since I NEVER hit the J40 off the deck.

By the naked eye Id say a handful of yards longer, and I saw a more penetrating ball flight so maybe even more with roll.

Off the tee, pretty similar IMO, but thats only based on a few swings

Looking forward in hitting the 26*.

So, I've continued to use this, test it, practice with it, and play with it. Love the shape, the feel, ball flight, and distance. Hell, I love the shaft. If you asked me today what to pick for the MC it would be the stock R flex Altus. Just feels really smooth and delivers a great kick into the ball that I notice. I hit four consecutive LM shots last night with it to get a gauge on distance and some other things and came away very impressed. In a perfect world I'd see a little lower launch, little more ball speed, and a little more spin, but those things are improving with lessons and that's just the way I hit the ball. Descent angles aren't 100% ideal for holding greens, which is something I've seen here and there on the course, but if I know what to expect I can plan accordingly - and again, much of that is swing related. Either way, I'm not perfect, yet it's performing nicely. Long (for me) and high and easy to hit.

Prepare yourself for non-internet golfer numbers here. Just keeping it real and no shame in my game. On course results Sunday were very similar to what I saw here, though dispersion was affected by the massive winds.

You'll notice shot #3 dropped off distance. That was a straight up heel-side lower face miss. Not a good impact at all, but the drop on distance and the retained accuracy was impressive to me. Last one I got a little hooky.

ScreenShot039-L.jpg

ScreenShot040-L.jpg

185 carry with a 5H ...#boss.

Oh and whatever this LM is you are using looks freaking SWEET.

And your dispersion is MONEY

185 carry with a 5H ...#boss.

Oh and whatever this LM is you are using looks freaking SWEET.

And your dispersion is MONEY

Not bad at all, huh? It's a very straight club for me unless I get way in front like the last one.

Those numbers seem good to me buddy. After hitting these last weekend I could easily throw 2 in my bag.

Not bad at all, huh? It's a very straight club for me unless I get way in front like the last one.

After smoothing out my swing, and thinking how well I hit this in Jan with my junk swing, im hard pondering 2 of these bad boys

I also hit the X2Hot 4h and it appears I may have been better off with a 3h. The 4h is longer, but the gap is tighter than optimal for sure. Makes me think I'd go 3h/5h with these in July.

After hitting the 4h this weekend, I am now also hard pondering 2 of these. I love the fairway wood, and was originally thinking 3w-5w-4h, but now I'm thinking 3w-2h-4h. For me the 4h was just effortless to hit STRAIGHT.

After hitting the 4h this weekend, I am now also hard pondering 2 of these. I love the fairway wood, and was originally thinking 3w-5w-4h, but now I'm thinking 3w-2h-4h. For me the 4h was just effortless to hit STRAIGHT.

Might check gapping a little bit Pete. Going from 5h to 6i I saw about 15-17 yards carry difference average.

Back