Unwanted Instruction

I don't ever bother anyone while they are practicing. However, I have waited for someone to finish or step away for a break and then talked to them. (Not about golf instruction though. I have a pro for that.)

Same here, the only time I talk to someone at the range is to compliment them on a nice shot. Or my usually girly thing where I will let another lady know if I like her outfit, shoes, bag, etc...

GC - As a woman who is older than you and has been playing golf a lot longer, I can tell you that this will never end. Harry's suggestions have merit and will work, but the issue is that you have to handle each wannabe helper differently. Some will back away if you tell them you have an instructor or don't want to get confused with additional swing thoughts, but some will not and you may have to be more blunt or even rude. When this happens to me on the course or range - I start off politely, but don't always end the conversation that way. Strangers have tried to touch me too - I will make a joke that carries a warning that they can't miss.

You could carry one of these in your pocket and start squeezing it when they start talking to you:

41CfRCp0uLL._SS500_.jpg

350_pooter.jpg

(I love how they always put a musical note when insinuating fart noises. )

EDIT: It seems they even have a "ladies" version:

41ft8CE1bAL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Spoiler
La Queefer

Product Description:
This small pink device can be squeezed to create "lady fart" sounds.

EDIT #2: Uhhhh, and apparently a French version:

4139l0ENcWL._SS400_.jpg

EDIT #3:
Well, this post is completely out of control now, but I couldn't help myself when I was closing all the windows with the above products and saw this:

SnipImage-3.jpg

Point Break?

GC - As a woman who is older than you and has been playing golf a lot longer, I can tell you that this will never end. Harry's suggestions have merit and will work, but the issue is that you have to handle each wannabe helper differently. Some will back away if you tell them you have an instructor or don't want to get confused with additional swing thoughts, but some will not and you may have to be more blunt or even rude. When this happens to me on the course or range - I start off politely, but don't always end the conversation that way. Strangers have tried to touch me too - I will make a joke that carries a warning that they can't miss.

Pretty sad reallity, but I think Diane is right. Some of us guy's are pigs and need to be treated like pigs. Touching you or getting too close is simply out of line.

Agreed 100%.

You could also try, "Thanks--I was watching your swing too. Have you always had that little hitch at the top?"

Harry: I love the woman version! :good:

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Agreed 100%.

You could also try, "Thanks--I was watching your swing too. Have you always had that little hitch at the top?"

That is AWESEOME!!!!!:alien2:

That is AWESEOME!!!!!:alien2:

I agree. :clapp:

Thank you. I wish I didn't have to use it. But unless I get the farthest left hand stall on a range, I'm facing someone. Someone who wants to give me advice on my swing.

Yes, dear. We all know you gave me that one.

Sometimes a small comment from someone whom you respect on the course or range can make a huge difference in how you will play going forward. I've noticed that when I play with very good golfers, they won't try to give me advice or remake my swing, but may nonchalantly mention that I am doing ABC. The very nature of the comment puts me at ease and allows me to reach a conclusion on my own.

I was playing with this guy and his wife and the 4th guy in our foursome would not stop giving advice to the lady. Strengthen your grip, shorten you swing, blah blah finally on 14 after she hit her tee shot she says to him, "I am going to have to ask you to stop because I am not all that impressed with your game". He didn't say another word the remainder of the round.

I was playing with this guy and his wife and the 4th guy in our foursome would not stop giving advice to the lady. Strengthen your grip, shorten you swing, blah blah finally on 14 after she hit her tee shot she says to him, "I am going to have to ask you to stop because I am not all that impressed with your game". He didn't say another word the remainder of the round.

I admire that, but it took her 13 holes to get there. As women, we're taught to be polite - it taks a lot - 13 holes - to speak up. My golf friends and I discuss this often. Thanks to some advice from the guys here - we've learned to tell men we're playing with on the first green that we putt out.

That is awesome.

I have had a couple of beginner friends ask me "what am I doing wrong?" or "what should I do?" and I always reply, "Listen, you don't want advice from me. I'm not good enough to be giving advice."

But there is also the issue of, just because someone is good doesn't mean they are a good teacher. As a snowboard instructor, I see this all the time. There are people who ride lights out, but they cannot do movement analysis (looking at someone's technique and assessing their issues) or even explain what they themselves are doing.

Conversely, I've seen instructors who were only mediocre riders, but who have fantastic movement analysis skills and fantastic descriptive/communication skills. They could get someone up and riding, or fixed, quickly.

My point is, be careful who you listen to. Find a pro you are confident with, and work on what they tell you to. Ignore magazine tips, etc. (You can always run stuff by your pro to see if s/he agrees.)

My second point is, I am always astounded by those people who think they are qualified to give golf swing tips.

Agreed 100%.

This is an effective technique. When I was much younger and learning the game, a few times someone at the range or course would attempt to give unsolicited advice.

On one occasion I was just hitting balls to relax and "get-away" and certainly wasn't in the mood to be bothered by the stranger next to me on the range. I listened "politely" for the 2 minutes that he took my club and proceded to "demonstrate" how I could "fix" my swing. Once he was through, I walked to his bag, took out an iron and took a few swings and explained how I thought he could "fix" his swing.

He did not appreciate the tip and said he didn't need advice from me. I responded, "likewise, if I want help, I will pay a teaching pro for it."

Problem solved. Of course, this is the more confrontational way of doing it.

For men, I believe that the unsolicited advice decreases as you get older. Unfortunately, from anecdotal evidence of what I see happen at the range, this does not ring true for women.

For men, I believe that the unsolicited advice decreases as you get older. Unfortunately, from anecdotal evidence of what I see happen at the range, this does not ring true for women.

My mother and her friends - women in their 70's - still get advice on the course. They're a different generation though - they just smile and ignore it.

I admire that, but it took her 13 holes to get there. As women, we're taught to be polite - it taks a lot - 13 holes - to speak up. My golf friends and I discuss this often. Thanks to some advice from the guys here - we've learned to tell men we're playing with on the first green that we putt out.

You have a good point there. She was maybe too polite for the first 13 holes. I overheard her husband tell her, "you just should have told him that earlier". As guys we don't take hints very well better to just be direct and honest right off the bat, makes everyone more relaxed.

You have a good point there. She was maybe too polite for the first 13 holes. I overheard her husband tell her, "you just should have told him that earlier". As guys we don't take hints very well better to just be direct and honest right off the bat, makes everyone more relaxed.

Just wondering why her husband didn't tell the guy, would that have been chauvinistic? If so call me a chauvinist because I would have told the guy to STFU, but that's just me.

Just wondering why her husband didn't tell the guy, would that have been chauvinistic? If so call me a chauvinist because I would have told the guy to STFU, but that's just me.

I have a real problem figuring out when I should do stuff like that. On some occasions when I've tried to "save" a woman, I've been reprimanded.

I have a real problem figuring out when I should do stuff like that. On some occasions when I've tried to "save" a woman, I've been reprimanded.
Mind your own business is usually good advice.Practicing it and preaching it.

I wouldn't want a guy telling another guy something like that for me. You should only step in when we can't handle things ourselves.

Back