Social Levels of Forums

I just want to say "I love you man." :laughing:

I know what some of you are saying about cliche's. I felt the same way even though I got on at the begining. But to deal with that I "forced" myself on these cliche's. So I guess you could say I'm the dorky kid that sits at the lunch table with the football players and cheerleaders.

I don't think there is a better place to be than here.

I had a hairy man photo of GC, but for some reason photo uploads keep failing...

:laughing: You'll be shocked when I pull up to the golf course on the 13th off my Bike with golf clubs :laughing:

I am probably one of the people you are talking about although I think I'm more standoff-ish than clique-ish. It takes me a while to warm up to new people. I tend to wait for someone to respond to me before I respond to them.

Daine -- Will you be my buddy :D

I just want to say "I love you man." :laughing:

I know what some of you are saying about cliche's. I felt the same way even though I got on at the begining. But to deal with that I "forced" myself on these cliche's. So I guess you could say I'm the dorky kid that sits at the lunch table with the football players and cheerleaders.

I don't think there is a better place to be than here.

Bogey - I can only speak for myself, but I have never considered you a cliche or part of a clique.

Bogey - I can only speak for myself, but I have never considered you a cliche or part of a clique.

It's because I was never "accepted" I just continue to follow them around and sit with them at lunch. They just ignore me now. :laughing:

It's because I was never "accepted" I just continue to follow them around and sit with them at lunch. They just ignore me now. :laughing:

I have always preferred to go to the beat of my own drummer too.

LMAO!!!!!! ok Diane:D

:laughing: You'll be shocked when I pull up to the golf course on the 13th off my Bike with golf clubs :laughing:

Wont be there on the 13th... sigh :disapointed:

Cliques are a part of human social interaction. I have never felt intentionally excluded from anything. Sometimes the conversation between a group moves so fast that I cannot keep up, just like in daily life, sometimes you can't get a word in edgewise.:D But that is not so much a result of cliques as a result of my moving in and out of the forum threads during the day while working at the same time.

I have been on other forums and I like the activity and civility here. Also, the mods here are not overbearing in their administration. We are allowed to interact freely for the most part as long as we color inside the lines. Now if I could remember to stop threadjacking, forum life would be perfect.:clapp:

Huge selling point here. I mod for 2 golf forums, and we tend to be hands off as much as possible too. There are others where posts just vanish, with no explanation, just because the admins or mods don't like what you said.

As far as cliques go, every forum has groups with common interests who tend to congregate with each other. It can be hard to break in at times, and sites where the cliques run the show, new members tend to drift away faster than they join. There may be some grouping here, but they are also welcoming of new members to the clique. I haven't been mentioned as part of any of the cliques here, although Diane dragged me in here from where we met on a couple of other fora (like that Latin plurality? :D ). She felt like THP needed a Rules guru (not sure I qualify to that level, but I try)

I post to threads where I find interest, read some others, and ignore the ones that don't grab me. I'm not usually chatty... I tend to stay on topic. I have started posting a bit in the Random forum, which I hadn't done for much of my time here. I occasionally have strong opinions which has gotten me in warm water a couple of times.... I need to work on that. :banghead:

For the longest time, I had to convince people that I wasn't a hairy 40 year old man. I guess girl's can't be interested in cars as well. And I autocross too, and still :confused2:

Its an endless battle over there, so I'm just phasing it out!!

If you can be a girl who's into cars, then I can be a guy who isn't.... okay? That way we keep the universal state of entropy in balance. :laughing:

Hopefully in August when I'm in town! :D

You can count on it...should be nice weather by then haa haa haa :D

If you can be a girl who's into cars, then I can be a guy who isn't.... okay? That way we keep the universal state of entropy in balance. :laughing:

Sounds like a plan!! :clapp:

I'm not sure about anyone else here, but while I like most of you and enjoy posting with you on the forum - you're not real to me. The few people I've met in person are and the other few I chat with on email are too, but other than that - I don't even know your names. So if someone doesn't like me or what I say - will it bother me - sure until I log out and then it's gone.

I'm not sure about anyone else here, but while I like most of you and enjoy posting with you on the forum - you're not real to me. The few people I've met in person are and the other few I chat with on email are too, but other than that - I don't even know your names. So if someone doesn't like me or what I say - will it bother me - sure until I log out and then it's gone.

All i am going to say is Wow!

Very well stated. Especially the part about "not being real". I read and reply with out ever taking anything/anyone serious, personal, or being the absolute truth. Now every so often someone might post something that trips my trigger, and I might go a research spree to find out more info about the subject matter. Call it time killing entertainment I guess.

All i am going to say is Wow!

Please understand - I enjoy my time here and chatting with everyone about golf and life. I also enjoy the time I spend PMing and emailing with the people whose names I do know and they know mine. There are many people whose names I don't know yet, but I enjoy their posts too - perhaps one day I will know their names.

I only meant that I can't spend energy worrying about the one or two people who don't like me for whatever reason. Their opinions are formed and nothing I say or do will change them.

Please understand - I enjoy my time here and chatting with everyone about golf and life. I also enjoy the time I spend PMing and emailing with the people whose names I do know and they know mine. There are many people whose names I don't know yet, but I enjoy their posts too - perhaps one day I will know their names.

I only meant that I can't spend energy worrying about the one or two people who don't like me for whatever reason. Their opinions are formed and nothing I say or do will change them.

Makes sense to me.

Kevin

Makes sense to me too Diane.

I like my 'imaginary friends' on here!

makes perfect sense to me Diane. Thanks for explaining.

If you start talking to us out loud - your co-workers may become a bit concerned.

Ha! Especially if they saw some of the avatars on here

One thing that bothers me with any internet forum, this one included to a very small extent, (although not nearly as bad as some others) is that a new person's opinion is not valued very high just because they only have a certain amount of posts. Conversely, someone who has been a member for 5 years might not know as much about a subject as a new person, but their opinion holds more value. I have never been able to figure that out.

Bob Knight (incognito of course) could join a basketball coaches forum and he probably wouldn't get any respect until he had a certain amount of posts and time. Even though he probably has more knowledge and experience that anyone on the board.

Just because a person didn't know about forums, or didn't have a computer, or didn't have any interest in looking before, that doesn't mean they don't know anything about the topic at hand.

Back