Why is the Masters at Augusta?

Germerican

AngryYankee
Reaction score
Handicap
23.8 USGA
Just curious on why Augusta National is the host of the Masters every year, yet the US Open and PGA Championship are held at different courses every year. What makes Augusta so special compared to Torrey Pines, Pebble Beach, Merrion, Bethpage, or any other prestigious course?

Good question! I was wondering the same thing a few weeks ago and couldn't work out why the Masters was the only tournament to have a fixed location.

As far as i know it is organized and solely controlled by the country club that owns the course.

Yes this is not technically a pga event.

what CigarGuy said.

It is run by the Augusta committee and is in reality an invitation only event, or that was the intention of it. Yes they want the 'best' players there, but the very fact that the club themselves are in charge they could, if they wanted to, invite the pro from your local course to play and there would be very little the PGA could do about it.

Traditionally it has always been at that time of year as the course looks it's best. They are VERRRRRY big on tradition at that place.

It's the brain child of Allister MacKenzie and Bobby Jones.

It's the brain child of Allister MacKenzie and Bobby Jones.

This.

Bobby Jones and Alister MacKenzie designed the course, and Bobby Jones founded the tournament.

Wiki:

"Jones co-designed the Augusta National course with Alister MacKenzie; the new club opened in early 1933. He founded the Masters Tournament, first played at Augusta in March 1934. The new tournament, originally known as the Augusta National Invitational, was an immediate success, and attracted most of the world's top players right from its start. Jones came out of retirement to play, essentially on an exhibition basis, and his presence guaranteed enormous media attention, boosting the new tournament's fame.[SUP][29]"[/SUP]

Augusta National was built to host the Masters by Bobby Jones. The entire event is controlled by Augusta National and always will be.

"Hello, friends. This is Jim Nantz, and we would like to welcome you to this year's Masters, live from beautiful Coeur d'Alene, Idaho" just doesn't have the right ring to it.

I know it will never happen, but if Augusta runs and the PGA has no say why couldn't someone just pull the Major title from it? I know its just ridiculous and I love the Masters at Augusta, but I'm just saying.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

This.

Bobby Jones and Alister MacKenzie designed the course, and Bobby Jones founded the tournament.

Wiki:

"Jones co-designed the Augusta National course with Alister MacKenzie; the new club opened in early 1933. He founded the Masters Tournament, first played at Augusta in March 1934. The new tournament, originally known as the Augusta National Invitational, was an immediate success, and attracted most of the world's top players right from its start. Jones came out of retirement to play, essentially on an exhibition basis, and his presence guaranteed enormous media attention, boosting the new tournament's fame.[SUP][29]"[/SUP]

This is exactly why the Masters stays at Augusta National every year. It's golfs version of sacred ground and you actually feel it when you're on the property.

I know it will never happen, but if Augusta runs and the PGA has no say why couldn't someone just pull the Major title from it? I know its just ridiculous and I love the Masters at Augusta, but I'm just saying.

It wouldn't matter. People would still come to Augusta in droves -- players and patrons -- for The Masters regardless of whether it was officially designated a "major."

Why is the Masters at Augusta?

I could be wrong, but regardless wether you refer with PGA to the PGA Tour or the PGA of America, it is not up to them pull or give that Major status.

The only thing they could do is (PGA Tour) is to get rid of the 5-year exemption for the Masters winner, but that would hardly make any difference.

The PGA Tour doesn't have any major tournaments, all the majors are hosted by different organizations...

Masters - Augusta National
US Open - USGA
The Open - R&A
PGA Championship - PGA of America

I could be wrong, but regardless wether you refer with PGA to the PGA Tour or the PGA of America, it is not up to them pull or give that Major status.

The only thing they could do is (PGA Tour) is to get rid of the 5-year exemption for the Masters winner, but that would hardly make any difference.

The PGA Tour doesn't have any major tournaments, all the majors are hosted by different organizations...

Masters - Augusta National
US Open - USGA
The Open - R&A
PGA Championship - PGA of America

I'm not a 100% but some one gives the Masters a major title Augusta can't do that themselves. I also know it probably won't ever happen. But who is to say someone doesn't pull major status from the Masters so they can play different courses every year for all majors.

How are Majors selected? Who decides...I suppose it's a mystery to many, and will be mystery for a long time. There isn't one entity how majors are being set as majors. It requires the best players, incredible course, tough course, prestige, old, very old traditions, generations of spectacular performances by legendary players. It's not about what we have today, it is history, and it is to be treasured. Golf as a sport, rules, equipment, players and courses have and will evolve, and maybe some day the majors will be 5 instead of 4. But that time is not yet, maybe it will be tomorrow, but I doubt it. The magic around the Masters does get a lot from that it is in Augusta. Practically it would be impossible for it to take place at another venue, since it is put together, hosted and owned by Augusta, but it would be a huge downer for all the golfing population and it would rip the soul from the event.

It takes time and history for a major to become a major, and when and how that could be decided is a mystery.

How long has these been around?

Masters - since 1943
US Open - 1895
The Open - 1860 (!)
PGA Championship - 1916

So...to change something like that, would require some very extraordinary circumstances.

Here's an article about majors and why they are majors.

http://brainsplatterkeyboard.wordpress.com/2013/08/07/golf-what-makes-a-championship-major/

How are Majors selected? Who decides...I suppose it's a mystery to many, and will be mystery for a long time. There isn't one entity how majors are being set as majors. It requires the best players, incredible course, tough course, prestige, old, very old traditions, generations of spectacular performances by legendary players. It's not about what we have today, it is history, and it is to be treasured. Golf as a sport, rules, equipment, players and courses have and will evolve, and maybe some day the majors will be 5 instead of 4. But that time is not yet, maybe it will be tomorrow, but I doubt it. The magic around the Masters does get a lot from that it is in Augusta. Practically it would be impossible for it to take place at another venue, since it is put together, hosted and owned by Augusta, but it would be a huge downer for all the golfing population and it would rip the soul from the event.

It takes time and history for a major to become a major, and when and how that could be decided is a mystery.

How long has these been around?

Masters - since 1943
US Open - 1895
The Open - 1860 (!)
PGA Championship - 1916

So...to change something like that, would require some very extraordinary circumstances.

Here's an article about majors and why they are majors.

http://brainsplatterkeyboard.wordpress.com/2013/08/07/golf-what-makes-a-championship-major/

Thanks, learned something new today!

Major events were just regular events deemed important to win by the players because it tested your skill. The PGA of America is like any other golf club. If no players show up at modern day "Major Events" then they would sease to be called "Majors" because the wouldn't be much of an event with nobody there.

Major events were just regular events deemed important to win by the players because it tested your skill. The PGA of America is like any other golf club. If no players show up at modern day "Major Events" then they would sease to be called "Majors" because the wouldn't be much of an event with nobody there.

I disagree if it was just a tournament that the players deemed important why are Jacks US Amateurs not still counted as majors. I've heard him say numerous times he had 20 majors then one day he had 18. I know the players didn't deem them no longer majors.

Simply step on the property one time and you would have this question answered. You feel like you are on a different planet when your here.

To look at it another way..could you see the Rose Bowl being played in Miami???

KG

Just Tapping Away

For a while the Masters wasn't considered a major. I think once it began to garner the attention of the top players it was decided that due to the competitiveness of the field it should be a major event. Hence, all of the discussions around the Players Championship becoming the fifth major.

Tapping away on my Galaxy 2 Note

Curt Sampson wrote a book titled "The Masters" which outlines the formation of the club and the tournament. I'm only about 1/2 way through it, but it's an OK read.

Simply step on the property one time and you would have this question answered. You feel like you are on a different planet when your here.

Just Tapping Away

This. I've been to a ton of sporting events, but walking around the course, you can feel the history there. I hope everyone gets a chance to go there at some point. Hearing the roars around the course, but only having the scoreboard to show you the scores because of no cell phones is such a strange, but cool feeling.

Eveything said here is why the USGA contracted with Fox to take over US open coverage, because they want to be THE tournament that everyone watches (I believe the Masters has the highest viewership of all 4 majors). Fox and gave the USGA more money and the promise of newer better coverage that would bring the viewers in. The Masters is my favorite to watch... After all it is "a tradition unlike any other."

Back