A Journal (or Jurney) into a radical club change

"Bounce" that I refer to anyway in SGI and GI irons isn't actually bounce per se, rather the difference in wide sole vs thin sole design...for me it's harder to get the head on the ball though the head doesn't dig as much...I actually like the digging part which might be part of my own issues...the club feels like it "bounces" on turf contact with the GI type irons, though in terms of club design and head angles, it isn't actually "bounce"...that's my take anyway...

Technically, it may not be considered bounce, but the rounded sole and rounded leading edge give me a problem. I am accustomed to clubs that you could hack trees down with the leading edge where these want to "glide" across the top of the ground instead of dig furrows. Obviously, TM and most of the other club mfgrs have learned that most golfers have trouble burying the leading edge of the club, so they designed the club to compensate for that. I, on the other hand, always wanted the sharp leading edge so I could slip it under the ball and take a divot on the way out. Learning curve for me.

Technically, it may not be considered bounce, but the rounded sole and rounded leading edge give me a problem. I am accustomed to clubs that you could hack trees down with the leading edge where these want to "glide" across the top of the ground instead of dig furrows. Obviously, TM and most of the other club mfgrs have learned that most golfers have trouble burying the leading edge of the club, so they designed the club to compensate for that. I, on the other hand, always wanted the sharp leading edge so I could slip it under the ball and take a divot on the way out. Learning curve for me.

Exactly what I'm talking about and agree 100%...

...my other problem is that looking at the long face it is much harder for me to visualize getting the clubhead on the ball cleanly without the head twisting or getting hung up...couple that with the inability to chop out a divot (like you can with thinner soled irons) and I feel like I'm missing on contact...

You're welcome for the exta swing thoughts...:banghead:

I found the thickness of the soles on my Tour Burners caused me trouble on chips. I had always chipped with a pitching wedge, and found the PW troublesome on those shots. It was fine after a "getting used to it" period with half or full swing shots, but not chipping. I added 48* and 52* Vokeys to my bag and chip with those. I dropped the GW wedge that came with the set, but kept the PW.

Kevin

Haven't posted in a few days because business has intervened in my real pursuit of golf perfection.

I hope to get out to the driving range today and work on getting my swing plane and set up better for the new TM's. Having had time to cool down from my embarrassment at my last performance, I am ready to admit to myself that it is me more than the clubs. I am determined to learn how to hit them consistently because of the advantages they can give me. The additional length and the higher spin rate from the new faces can really give me an advantage once I learn to aim them properly.

The shots I do hit well land at the planned distance and check up quickly. That is a worthwhile weapon to have. I have made up my mind to keep at them until I master them period.

Spent a couple of days ill but I finally got out this afternoon. I called a friend who plays with me often, but has not played with me since I got the Burners. I am still spraying the ball everywhere. These clubs are obviously between 1 and two clubs longer than my old irons, but I cannot aim them to save my life.

After watching me struggle through the front nine, hitting the driver into the fairway and miss the green anywhere from 10 to 30 yards, he said, "This is really not the guy I am used to playing with. What is wrong with your irons?" That is how obvious it is to someone who has seen me play for a couple of years. I honestly don't know what to do. I have an important tournament this weekend and I am going to have to switch back to my blades for it. I just have no faith in the Burners at this point.

I am not going to give up, but I think learning to hit them is going to take me months, not weeks. What is so strange about that is that I can switch between my TA Silver Scot blades, EVO-31 RO Blades, Maxfli Revolutions, or Titleist DCI990's and within the first few holes, I am comfortable with them. I really don't get it. These are great looking clubs with an obvious following. What is wrong with me?

C-Tech, I do not have a clue and I will not even try to tell you what is wrong, I will leave that to the people here who are more knowledgeable than I. I will say keep positive and you will figure it out.

Sorry, you having such bad luck with them. I'm sure you will work it out. However, I do appreciate the honesty in your struggles with them. It's great to hear the good and bad. We hope you do well in your tourney.

It has to be in your mind CT. Like I said, I made a similar switch 2 years ago to Adams A3s which were a far cry from my blades I was playing. It took more than 4 rounds of golf, but rather going to the range. But after about a month, I was dialed in. It seems to me it has to be in your head though. Becuase the 1st 2 rounds you said you had very little problems with them and played well. Then the next 2 you have struggled.

Normally it would be the opposite especially since getting clubs that distances are going to be so much different based on lofts and lengths. Have you thought about spending an hour or 2 at the range?

One question I had was whether the weight of the club caused the obvious swing change. I have the Burners and they have some heft to them in addition to a thicker topline. I am in no way a swing coach and just a novice player myself but wondered if your blades were lighter than the Burners. I would say to just keep at it..you certainly have the skills to adjust to these and when you get them dialed in I think you will love them.

I'll say the clubs are too long and upright for him.This would create most of the issues

Got back on the course Saturday after a week's layoff due to nasty weather. I played in a scramble on Saturday and played my own ball on Sunday. I went back to my blades for both rounds and I honestly hit my irons much better. I played Saturday with an ex-Pro baseball player and he commented on how well I hit my irons, saying something like "You are really good with your irons." I was having a good ball striking day, just peppering the flag from 140 in. Of course, scrambles take all the pressure off so I could just relax and swing.

On Sunday, I played with the same buddy that commented on how poorly I was hitting the Burners. He commented again on Sunday how much better I was striking it. I posted an 85, which is higher than my last score with the Burners, but the Sunday course has a much higher slope rating and is 600 yards longer and we played in 20MPH winds.

I just don't know what to think. I believe JB is right, it is in my head. Too many people like the Burners. No matter whether it is real or imagined, I hit my blades better so far.

I am not going to give up, I will try them again sometime this week.

I wish the weather here would allow me to get out. My old set were close to blades and I'm height restricted too, so I could see if I went through the same thing. At this point you are scaring the heck out of me, lol.

I know you'll pull it out.

my burners just showed up, one day at the range in so far (current set is hogan ftx combo set)

these burners are stupid long, I was hitting my burner 8i about as far as my hogan 6i (which scares me that the distance gaps between my short irons will be much larger with the burners than with the hogans)

I wasn't a big fan of the thick sole of the burners for hitting off the range mats, I'll have to see how things turn out once I actually get on course

I do have the DG superlight shafts, and they're doing a good job of keeping the ball from ballooning, but they are a bit harsh compared to my apex shafts in my hogans.

the weight distribution of these clubs is certainly different, the light shafts do give a feel that's going to take some time to get used to, but I don't play/practice that much and I think more forgiveness can't be a bad thing (unless I can't aim them, which has happened in the past to me as well when using more forgiving irons)

In anticipation of playing 18 with a customer this afternoon, I got to the course a bit early so I could hit a bucket with the Burners before I went out. When I was about halfway done with the large bucket, he called to say something had come up and he couldn't make it. I decided to take the Burners out for a test drive. I played 9 and hit the ball much better than I have before.

I figured out that I just cannot hit my normal draw with these clubs. I have to open my stance and make almost a cut swing to get them to go where I point them. They are long. I had 131 to a front pin on the first par 3 and hit an easy PW onto the back fringe.

The last par 4 is 380 into a stiff breeze with water down the left. I hit a poor tee shot and ended up with 180 left to a back pin. I hit an awful shot that sailed off into the pond. Not the fault of the clubs, I just made a really bad swing. I was mad, so I dropped another one right there and hit a 4 iron right at the pin, stopping a foot onto the back fringe. Did I mention that these are long? This was into a 2 club wind!

I am going to keep working with them. Now that I have opened my stance and am swinging like a natural slicer, the clubs are doing what they were designed for....to straighten out an poor swing.

I don't even know what to say, I want to congratulate you on hitting the new irons but I'm not sure if it's appropriate.LOL

Sounds like a start. Perhaps once you are confident with "getting there" then you can tweek back to your normal draw with time.

I really hope these work out for you.

Back