Cupped left wrist

colby10

Reaction score
Handicap
So I have been struggling with a cupped left wrist and cant for the life of me get it flattened out when Im making my back swing. Im not a 100 percent sure it needs to flat at the top but have heard most people say u want a flat left wrist at the top. Anybody deal with this issue I would love to hear how u dealt with or fixed it. Thx guys.

So I have been struggling with a cupped left wrist and cant for the life of me get it flattened out when Im making my back swing. Im not a 100 percent sure it needs to flat at the top but have heard most people say u want a flat left wrist at the top. Anybody deal with this issue I would love to hear how u dealt with or fixed it. Thx guys.

I definitely have this problem and am interested in the feedback.

I have the same thing and have not fixed it, I've tried but it's just ingrained now. Is it causing a specific problem?

Whatever angle you have at address is the angle you're going to carry to the top of your swing. I would change your grip so the wrist is flat at address. But they is nothing wrong with playing with a cupped wrist.

Whatever angle you have at address is the angle you're going to carry to the top of your swing. I would change your grip so the wrist is flat at address. But they is nothing wrong with playing with a cupped wrist.

Exactly, I was struggling for awhile hitting the ball left. The pro at my course wanted me to weaken my grip a little, which straightens out the wrist, and presto problem solved. I still play with a cupped wrist, it was just starting to get a little too strong.

I have the same thing and have not fixed it, I've tried but it's just ingrained now. Is it causing a specific problem?

Trout I was told it opens the club face at the top of the backswing..im not a 100 percent if thats true but my miss has always been fade/slice. Wasnt sure if that was a contributing factor as I know other things come into play to cause these issues.

Thx Tadashi...Im no expert on the golf swing so I just wanted to check about the cupped wrist as I have been told by a couple people that I should be flat at the top. When I tried I just couldnt keep it flat for the life of me. Maybe I will weaken up the grip a tad.

I have bowed my left wrist at times. I cannot fathom the feeling of a cup wrist. My hand hurts just thinking about it

Thx Tadashi...Im no expert on the golf swing so I just wanted to check about the cupped wrist as I have been told by a couple people that I should be flat at the top. When I tried I just couldnt keep it flat for the life of me. Maybe I will weaken up the grip a tad.

There are quite a few pros that play with a cupped wrist. So don't get frustrated but weakling that hand and getting handle more in the finger will help flatten the wrist

I have bowed my left wrist at times. I cannot fathom the feeling of a cup wrist. My hand hurts just thinking about it

blu just imagine ur riding a dirtbike and ur left hand is twisting the throttle as far as ur wrist can go...thats how my left wrist is at the top of my backswing and thats something that just happens naturally for me.

Cupped left wrist

blu just imagine ur riding a dirtbike and ur left hand is twisting the throttle as far as ur wrist can go...thats how my left wrist is at the top of my backswing and thats something that just happens naturally for me.

I don't...
I can't...
I whaa...?

Our swings should have a baby. Is that weird?

Last edited:
Trout I was told it opens the club face at the top of the backswing..im not a 100 percent if thats true but my miss has always been fade/slice. Wasnt sure if that was a contributing factor as I know other things come into play to cause these issues.

Holy cow I just saw your explanation to Blu about the dirtbike throttle, mine is the opposite and Freddie told me to keep rolling with it. I don't think it will matter as long as it doesn't break down in the swing, as far as the ball going right that's a Freddie fix if I ever saw one, he can help you a ton.

This is what my GolfTec coach told me.

fred couples has a cupped wrist and dustin johnson has a bowed wrist either can work if you get the club back to square. i feel like a completely flat wrist really restricts your hinge. mine has a slight cup it feels not manipulated less thinking is always better for me...less smoke.

Good stuff in here. I also have a cupped left wrist and have tried fixing it for years to be less timing oriented. A weaker grip combined with proper takeaway (no rolling) and more upright backswing helped me last year. It's just tough to break old habits and I'm probably back to cupped wrist with toe down at the top of the backswing and laid off.

I watched this video the other day where the instructor took a old tape measure and cut about 6 in. off it and then placed the loop part of Velcro on both ends and then put the tape in the glove of the left hand with the bowed part of the tape facing out. When he took a back swing and cupped his wrist the tape would make an audible snap letting him know he cupped the wrist. I thought it was a good aid.

Im in the boat of "at impact" matters the most. You can see many video of players in all spectrums of the left wrist. Through all the mechanics of a golf swing ive addapted that some of it has to feel right. I have a cupped wrist and tried to stop it. I just felt like I was having to purposly alter my swing. So I just play with what I have. The grip definitely plays a roll in it but if your square and accelerating through impact the wrist isnt a concern.. imo

Gonna play devil's advocate a little here. Having a cupped left wrist isn't a bad thing, just like having a bowed left wrist isn't. It's just how you manage it you need to be aware of. If you weaken that left hand grip, it may not magically give you a flat wrist at the top. Now you have a weaker grip on top of a cupped wrist. That might further send your ball right.

If you strengthen your grip a considerable amount, to the point you see three or three and a half knuckles, what could possibly happen? (We can't see your swing for the moment so bear with any assumptions or examples) It could flatten it for you, or cause you to bow it and have a very shut clubface at the top. Well, you might like that more? Or you might decide the cupped wrist at the top isn't a bad thing at all since now it's cancelled out the shut clubface. It's a bit of a trial and error game but there's sincerely nothing wrong with having that wrist cupped. A lot of good players have had that position at the top, they just managed their game based on it.

I have a cupped left wrist and can't get it flat at the top no matter what I do. A weak grip does not feel natural to me either. The only lessons that I have taken the instructor wanted me to have a neutral grip and flat wrist and hit a draw like "all good golfers do". Finally I told him to work with my grip and swing and stop trying to rebuild me in some textbook image. My cupped wrist gives me a slight fade which I like as it is predictable and I never have to worry about missing left. That doesn't mean I don't miss left as my over the top move brings pulls into play, but that is another issue.

I agree that it does not matter where you are at the top of your swing as long as you are in the right position at your ball. I feel the 12 inches before and after the bottom of your swing are what matter the most. Being consistent there is where all amateurs should focus imo.

Finding a teacher that will work with your swing and focus on the important stuff is critical. Not treating you like assembling a robot. This is where Freddie rocks. Thank you Swing Panda.

I have a cupped left wrist and can't get it flat at the top no matter what I do. A weak grip does not feel natural to me either. The only lessons that I have taken the instructor wanted me to have a neutral grip and flat wrist and hit a draw like "all good golfers do". Finally I told him to work with my grip and swing and stop trying to rebuild me in some textbook image. My cupped wrist gives me a slight fade which I like as it is predictable and I never have to worry about missing left. That doesn't mean I don't miss left as my over the top move brings pulls into play, but that is another issue.

I agree that it does not matter where you are at the top of your swing as long as you are in the right position at your ball. I feel the 12 inches before and after the bottom of your swing are what matter the most. Being consistent there is where all amateurs should focus imo.

Finding a teacher that will work with your swing and focus on the important stuff is critical. Not treating you like assembling a robot. This is where Freddie rocks. Thank you Swing Panda.

The bolded would have lead to a wonderful argument with the teacher for me personally. I must have missed where a draw magically makes you a good golfer.

For me, I struggled with this for most of the Summer, and eventually took a lesson where my coach basically told me to pay less attention to my hands and more attention to where my right elbow was at the top of the backswing. As he explained it, and I'm paraphrasing, getting the chickenwing out of the right elbow at the top and keeping my hands relaxed put my wrists in a much more neutral position. Now when I start feeling a slice come back in and my body wants to fix it my cupping my wrist to close the clubface and create a pull-slice, I take a step back, take a practice swing, and ask myself, "Where my elbow?" It's helped a ton, and remembering that I can fix the problem without adding tension to my hands and forearms helps, too.

My club pro tried to "fix" my cupped wrist at the top and for awhile I couldn't even make solid contact. I did, finally, improve it on my own by buying a Swing Glove by Rick Smith, which has a stiffener that helps keep your wrist flatter (makes it difficult to cup). I found that using that and trying to relax my wrist rather than fight it really helped me ingrain that position at the top. It's one of the few "swing training" aids that has ever seemed to work for me. But, it may not help for everyone. Take a look here, but you can get it cheaper elsewhere.

http://www.swingglove.com/rick_smith.php

I'm working through this too. ..I just slow down my backswing and "bow" it at the top like dustin johnson does. What's weird is that when I video myself and I feel like I'm bowing, it actually ends up flat as a pancake. My brain just thinks I'm bowing it....A few thousand range balls and it will be baked!

Back