Bag rebuilding season

Germerican

AngryYankee
Reaction score
Handicap
23.8 USGA
It's time for a rebuild of my bag. Starting golf up in late April I bought what was cheap, while still taking in account for playability and my first bag set up was a Nike VR-S driver, no 3W, VR-S 5W, Burner Plus 4-PW, AW, no wedges and a Method Drone putter. Now after numerous reviews, threads, testing, and overall want-to-upgradeness, I have the bag set up listed in my signature.

Now with the golf season a round away from ending, I am looking towards next season in the hopes of better golf and a huge improvement in my game. As a max handicapper, I am looking more for maximum game improvement equipment and have come up with a temporary set up with options for the 2014 season:

DRIVER:
TM SLDR driver to account for my fades
Callaway X2

WOODS (3/5):
Callaway X2 or XHot

HYBRIDS (4/5):
Adams or Cleveland Mashie

IRONS:
TM Speedblades 5-PW, AW
Cobra Baffler XL 5-PW, AM

WEDGES:
Continue with ScorGolf, but adjust loft according to new iron set up.

PUTTER:
Either the DDL I have or the Drone that I am using for the rest of the season.

BALL:
Sticking with the B'Stone e6

I know equipment does not make that player, and I have been taking steps to improve my game via lessons, range work, and course work. Right now, is this a good set up to work with next year, or should I stick with what I have and just work on my game?

Im all for buying golf equipment. I love all of it. Shiny new things bring a new reason to practice for long hours.

But I will be the first to day that for all the money you are going to spend rebuilding the entire bag in search of improvement, you might be best suited to get the swing nice and repeatable. Work on the game and as things get fine tuned, then upgrade.

Doing it now will only lead to once again doing it later. I should add that there is nothing wrong with that either.

I'm always up for new clubs. Especially with the technology always improving, but I think a fitting will be the best bet before you actually purchase your new set.

The X2 and SLDR couldn't be any more different. If you're prone to missing the center of the face, which I certainly am, I'd look away from the SLDR.

The X2 and SLDR couldn't be any more different. If you're prone to missing the center of the face, which I certainly am, I'd look away from the SLDR.

Far, far, far, far, far, FAR away.

This.

Better a reliable fade than a 2-way miss trying to hit straight.

As far as my swing goes, my hits off the tee are improving. I am slicing less and less now, but it still happens. Looks like I will stay away from the SLDR since I know for a fact that I am not making perfect contact every time and if the X2 can offer more forgivibility then I'm all for it.

Don't discount slightly older model drivers like the XHot man - I thought that was a great driver, and you'll save mad coin vs. the new version. That being said though, if you hit both and the X2 is noticeably better, you should definitely go that route.

Like everyone, I enjoy getting "new" equipment. If you are set on putting new clubs in the bag, I would also suggest taking a look at some of the models currently on sale. I know. I know. They won't be the latest-and-greatest when 2014 comes around, but serious savings can be had. There are some crazy deals available on Cobra Amp and Amp Cell irons. Callaway Golf Pre-Owned is advertising deals up to 25% off of irons (their "Like New" condition-rated ones are basically new). Same can be said for deals on hybrids, fairway woods, and drivers, too.

Oh, yeah... Also keep an eye out on the THP Marketplace threads - seems like a number of folks are starting to clean-out their stash/bags with some good quality clubs.

So far, every post on here is 100% correct. I've been playing this game for 23 years and didn't get serious about it until last year. I went through the same thing you're going through now. Everything that comes out is guaranteeing you that you'll be awesome, no matter what. If I followed the law of TaylorMade, I should be hitting my 3w 280.....still, it only goes about 250-265.

I would definitely ask your pro what he thinks the best clubs are for your game now and going forward. I was playing Ping G5s and my instructor suggested I move to MP59s. I thought he was crazy. But I purchased them, got down to a 12 and traded them in for the RocketBladez. Long story short, 7 irons sets later and I'm back with the MP59s....for now :embarrassed:. BTW, I'm a club ho.

On to the clubs on your wish list:
SLDR - If you have a POWER Fade (aka slice), the little weight on the bottom isn't going to fix that. I have this driver and love it as long as I don't miss. When I miss, I hate it.
X2 - I played the XHot and the XHot Pro last year and really like both of them. The Xhot was really forgiving on off-center hits. The stock shaft was a bit torquey for me though. Once I went with the B-Series, it was game on!
Best thing here is to try out a few drivers you like and go from there.

Irons - One of my playing partners just got the Speed Blades and he loves them. Personally, I don't like the thick lines, but that's a matter of opinion. I would hit every iron in the game improvement class and see where you get the best results. Getting fitted wouldn't be a bad idea.

Wedges - You've got the right idea!

Putter - Putters are tricky because you will get a new one and putt lights out until you get used to it. Then you suck again. Find the putter with a head style that fits your stroke and stick with it.

Have fun! Buy new clubs is one of the funnest things you can do with your clothes on!

Im all for buying golf equipment. I love all of it. Shiny new things bring a new reason to practice for long hours.

But I will be the first to day that for all the money you are going to spend rebuilding the entire bag in search of improvement, you might be best suited to get the swing nice and repeatable. Work on the game and as things get fine tuned, then upgrade.

Doing it now will only lead to once again doing it later. I should add that there is nothing wrong with that either.

Great advice. I'd first spend money working with a local PGA Teaching Pro in your area along with the new clubs.

Hawk is right on the money
The SLDR seems to fit a very specific type of player if you happen to be that player it works well if not good luck

DRIVER:
TM SLDR driver to account for my fades
Callaway X2

WOODS (3/5):
Callaway X2 or XHot

HYBRIDS (4/5):
Adams or Cleveland Mashie

IRONS:
TM Speedblades 5-PW, AW
Cobra Baffler XL 5-PW, AM

WEDGES:
Continue with ScorGolf, but adjust loft according to new iron set up.

So, here is what has transpired in the past weeks. I still am up for debate on the driver, but instead of the SLDR or X2, I am looking at the XHot or the Cobra Amp Cell. Both 2013 models and both provide a good deal of forgivability. I looked at the specs of the XHot v the X2 and the only major difference I see besides how the club is built is that the X2 is on average 7 yards further than the previous model Not too concerned about that and the XHot should be much cheaper.

For the hybrids I am looking at the Adams Super dHY hyrons. I have heard a lot of great things from them and want to smack them around during my fitting.

I have pretty much decided to get the Cobra Baffler XL irons. These will be fit for me so I can finally get my lie/loft/length measurements and possibly even a shaft fitting. I did the KBS fitting on their site and was recommended the C-tapers. They are also cheaper than the SpeedBlades.

I ordered a 64* wedge from Hopkins Golf. Why, I have no idea. Wouldn't hurt to try it out and with all the pizzaz from Hopkins, I want to see how they would compare to SCOR. Hopkins offers many different shaft choices and sole grinds as opposed to SCORs 4 shaft selection and no grinds.
With the Cobra irons, I will be adjusting my wedge set up or maybe just adding in one club, not sure yet. To be determined.

BAG: I want a new bag. My old one works, but I like the options that I see from the Sun Mountain C-130.

Hey AY. Don't think you want to hear it, but nothing wrong with your current bag. That is the sensible answer.

Now, if like me, you just 'need' new bats from time to time, I wouldn't recommend changing everything at once, and get comfortable with each element before you go for the next...:angel:

Echo the comments on the SLDR. Not the most forgiving driver out there.

What led you to go for the current x stiff shaft? That might not be helping the slice...

Hey AY. Don't think you want to hear it, but nothing wrong with your current bag. That is the sensible answer.

Now, if like me, you just 'need' new bats from time to time, I wouldn't recommend changing everything at once, and get comfortable with each element before you go for the next...:angel:
I bought my irons from eBay with no real thought involved. Saw that they were from TaylorMade and the price seemed good so I bought it. No fitting, not checking it out, just added to cart and paid. This time around I want to be fit and actually test out the clubs.

Echo the comments on the SLDR. Not the most forgiving driver out there.
When everyone says that the SLDR is not very forgiving, I tend to listen :act-up:

What led you to go for the current x stiff shaft? That might not be helping the slice...
I have head a lot of great things about the Aldila shafts and wanted one. After a bit of research I saw that the Xstiffs are best suited for driver swing speeds of 105+ or even 110+. I am at 95-105 and thought that maybe the shaft just wont flex enough but should still work as intended. It was before I realized about torque, kick, and the technology involved.

Also want a gps/rangefinder. Don't know yet if I want an actual rangefinder, gps device, yardage watch, or one of those nifty voice caddies.

Also want a gps/rangefinder. Don't know yet if I want an actual rangefinder, gps device, yardage watch, or one of those nifty voice caddies.

Apart from the voice one, I have the other 3. Bushnell rangefinder. Use it more for establishing true yardages on the range than anything else. When I was carrying my bag, found it too much hassle. Watch is brilliant as it does not slow you down, just gives simple choices. GPS device, just bought, so dunno yet!

back on the bats, why not go get a session trying out different driver shafts as a starting point? If the slice is getting you off to a bad start, then maybe this is priority. Working on the swing is still the best answer, but a fitted driver should be of benefit too...

I agree with JB and Hawk. There's nothing wrong with your current gear, maybe consider lessons before reloading the whole bag. If you are dead set on buying a driver and your swing isn't more dialed in, I'd go with something other than the SLDR....I've just read too many reviews about its relative lack of forgiveness.

So, here is what has transpired in the past weeks. I still am up for debate on the driver, but instead of the SLDR or X2, I am looking at the XHot or the Cobra Amp Cell. Both 2013 models and both provide a good deal of forgivability. I looked at the specs of the XHot v the X2 and the only major difference I see besides how the club is built is that the X2 is on average 7 yards further than the previous model Not too concerned about that and the XHot should be much cheaper.
FWIW, I overheard a fitter at my regular shop telling another person he's fit more people to the Amp than anything else this season, that he regularly see higher smash factors with that club for people demo'ing club than anything else. Also, don't sleep on the R1. It is a very forgiving driver and you can really dial it to your swing.

While I don't have a driver in mind yet, I am slowly rounding out the bag. I am getting the Cobra Baffler Xl irons 6-PW. The 7, 8, and PW will get a loft adjustment of +.5* just so the loft differences remain the same throughout the set. I am going to drop the 5H as it has the same loft as my 6i, and drop both woods for a 4W. I am not too concerned about the loft gaps with the big sticks, because as I see it once I drop 200 yards from the tee I am down to the irons.
I have a full bag fitting scheduled with GolfTec in February and will work on shaft choices and a more detailed length, lie, loft discussion as well as a proper driver fitting.

Angry I'm curious in why you want two adjust the 7,8,9 +0.5*? Is it just merely to have the same loft gap through out?

Since the lofts are set by the manufacturer for both trajectory and gaping I'm curious why?

Even though the 5h and 6i are the same loft I wouldn't be surprised to see you hit the 5h longer do to hotter face and longer shaft.

The SLDR is a finicky woman that is for sure. I hit 9/14 fairways averaging 275 from the tee Saturday then was 2/14 averaging 215 from the tee with 4 OB two days later at the same course. Same conditions, same ball, heck I even ate the same darn thing for breakfast and lunch.

When she is on it great, when she is off it is Charles Barkley terrible.

Tappin away

Angry I'm curious in why you want two adjust the 7,8,9 +0.5*? Is it just merely to have the same loft gap through out?

Since the lofts are set by the manufacturer for both trajectory and gaping I'm curious why?

Even though the 5h and 6i are the same loft I wouldn't be surprised to see you hit the 5h longer do to hotter face and longer shaft.

The stock lofts are set at 7i: 30.5, the 8i: 34.5, the PW: 43.5. It's more or less the OCD in my that wants round numbers at 4* differences.
The main reason why I am dropping the 5H is due to too many clubs in the bag and I never really got a good feel for it. I could still go the hybrid/iron combo route, but right now I'm looking at just the irons.

The stock lofts are set at 7i: 30.5, the 8i: 34.5, the PW: 43.5. It's more or less the OCD in my that wants round numbers at 4* differences.
The main reason why I am dropping the 5H is due to too many clubs in the bag and I never really got a good feel for it. I could still go the hybrid/iron combo route, but right now I'm looking at just the irons.

nothing wrong with that was just truly curious, dropping the hybo because of #of clubs and not having a good feel for it makes total sense.

So the bag is done. Still looking for new shoes, rangefinder, and some aftermarket shafts, but as for clubs, I am done. Here are the changes:

Driver:
Nike Covert --> Cobra Bio Cell (10.5*)

Woods:
Callaway XHot 3W & Nike VR-S 5W --> Cobra Baffler XL 5W (17*)

Hybrids:
Cleveland Mashie+ 23* & Nike VR-S 27* --> Cobra Baffler XL 4H (22*)

Irons:
TM Burner 2.0 6i & TM Burner Plus 7-AW --> Cobra Baffler XL 6-PW

Wedges:
Cleveland CG15 60* --> Hopkins 60*

Putter:
TM Daddy Long Legs --> SeeMore DB-4 (Thanks JD & GG)

New additions:
48* SCOR wedge
64* Hopkins wedge

All in all, I am very happy with what I have done. Put my ego aside, went with SGI goods, and really excited about the upcoming year.

Great setup man,

I will be swapping irons out before season kicks off or just after

Back