2014 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really considering picking up a pair of these. I am not sure if I NEED them. My shoes feel pretty stable now, but I feeling like these are a better bet.

These Adidas shoes will definitely help activate your hammies, too. I noticed a big increase in hamstring strength when I switched over to my Nike oly shoes.

I hope this is counter productive. WCBM - what is a greatly overrated lift? Something that you see people do that you think there are better and more efficient lifts to do?

Not WCBM, but my number 1 for overrated is the bicep curl. I always advise people to do chin-ups instead. :)

Not WCBM, but my number 1 for overrated is the bicep curl. I always advise people to do chin-ups instead. :)

I do agree to a point. Because I am a touch superficial, I usually so 2 sets of light weight high rep curls, just for some extra beach muscle bulk.

The upright barbell row and/or dumbbell tricep kick back get medal for me

I hope this thread continues to blow up! Just wanted to share something I was thinking about during my workout that applies to my MC prep but also applies to everyone on the forum in my opinion. One thing that 100% will not hinder me come July is my fitness level. I think as golfers we tend to take it for granted and feel that it isn't really a vital aspect. I think fitness level is something that we can control better than any aspect of the game. I can increase my health at a much faster rate than I can increase my level of play. The good thing though is that better health will likely lead to better play for all of us.

What I'm trying to say is that we will all be let down by our swing at some point during a round. You hit a pull or a snap hook or duff a chip, whatever. There is no reason for our fitness levels to let us down as well. I don't ever hear a dude on tour blame a bad day on his fitness level. I hope this is coming off as clearly as it was in my head.

This might be the best post ever in these threads and so, so true. I experienced this last year more than ever and vowed that this year would be different. Great post Jordan.

Haha yeah, those are close to 2 and 3 on my list. :)

I do agree to a point. Because I am a touch superficial, I usually so 2 sets of light weight high rep curls, just for some extra beach muscle bulk.

This might be the best post ever in these threads and so, so true. I experienced this last year more than ever and vowed that this year would be different. Great post Jordan.

Thanks dude. I've experienced it myself and watched it happen. No excuses for that.

Just joined a new gym in my area with a fantastic weight room. I've been treading water at Cardio Express (similar to a Planet Fitness) where they're kind of taking the weights out of weight lifting. They've taken out all the squat racks and only have one real bench press. The new place I joined is in the process of renovating, but the first thing they finished was a gigantic weight room, literally the size of a full basketball court, which they replaced with the weight room. All brand new equipment, dumbells up to 120lbs, 2 squat racks, incline/decline/flat bench presses, and all sorts of isolation machines.

My favorite part of the new place is all their function workout stuff; ie kettlebells, medicine balls, slam balls, box jumps, half moons, battle ropes, ect. I've been trying to mix in a high intensity function movement between my standard lifting splits to keep my heartrate up and I can already feel the difference. I love workout out on the half moons as it really fires all the stabilization muscles up my legs and core, which I hope translates into better stability/form on the course.

Really excited for the new season to start and I'll definitely be checking back in here to pick up some new ideas for workouts!

Are half-moons like Bosu balls? Do you stand on them while lifting?

Last edited:

What about pullovers? I seem to remember reading that they would help create a wider upper torso - but I don't see people doing this exercise very often anymore. Is it anexercise that is useful or not?

What about pullovers? I seem to remember reading that they would help create a wider upper torso - but I don't see people doing this exercise very often anymore. Is it anexercise that is useful or not?

Meh. It is a single joint, low weight exercise. Good for body building (steroid users). But from an efficiency and effectiveness standpoint, pull-ups and lat pull downs are much better. Plus, for back width, horizontal pull-ups and their variations are better.

But, probably not a bad rehab exercise though.

Just my .02

What does everyone eat the say of a round? Start from the day before and include on course drinks/supplements. Need something to keep me going the entire round. Thanks

How can you be an elite hunter if you don't hunt with an Elite Hunter?

Nuun hydration tablets have been a huuuge addition for me. I drink it the whole round. Does well to keep energy going.

What does everyone eat the say of a round? Start from the day before and include on course drinks/supplements. Need something to keep me going the entire round. Thanks

How can you be an elite hunter if you don't hunt with an Elite Hunter?

Hydrate, whole foods, fruit and veggie carbs, avoid starches, in general nothing that will stuff you.

Honest question, do you think these would be a safer option than the trail runners I am in now? I don't do a lot of treadmill work or sprinting, but I am getting more into the Olympic lifts and I want stability/safety

Blu,

I work out with kettlebells, and we do movements that are real similar to Olympic lifts. Most of the guys I train with use shoes like these when doing the KB stuff, then change shoes to do their cardio work. I use Reebok Crossfit shoes for now, but they say it makes a difference when they plant their heels to drive the bell up.

Hydrate, whole foods, fruit and veggie carbs, avoid starches, in general nothing that will stuff you.

Awesome advice right here. Bloat sucks in the weight room and on the course.

Pull ups and rows are a much better option. If you cannot do a body weight pull up, use one of thos counterbalance pullup machines or bands.

I have been running twice a week and doing a crossfit light program three days per week. That's has been working. For nutrition my wife and I just started using a paleo food delivery service through our box. I am not paleo but it is clean food that is measured that I can just supplement as necessary.

Day one of Blugolds mass building routine.

Low incline bench
Dumbbell Military press
Inverted row
Rope face pull
Diamond pushup till failure.

Meals have been really good today so far. 3 eggs, wheat toast, hashbrowns, chicken sausage coffee and water. Meal two, cottage cheese with pomegranates followed by chicken stew.

Awesome advice right here. Bloat sucks in the weight room and on the course.

I should have added a small amount of protein. And some potassium like a banana (fruit carb)!

Low incline bench
Dumbbell Military press
Inverted row
Rope face pull

Meals have been really good today so far. 3 eggs, wheat toast, hashbrowns, chicken sausage coffee and water. Meal two, cottage cheese with pomegranates followed by chicken stew.

Those first few sessions are brutal. Absolutely brutal.

How hard where those diamond push-ups?

I hope this is counter productive. WCBM - what is a greatly overrated lift? Something that you see people do that you think there are better and more efficient lifts to do?

Sorry broski- just saw this one. Good question. For me it is less about a specifically overrated lift as it is about the means in which lifting takes place. Machines are a waste of time if you want to IMPROVE. They are fine for maintenance, but suck for pretty much everything else. The other thing - not a lift per say, but - wasting time. Your workout should be an hour MAX for lifting. Even less - ideal is closer to 45 minutes. Anything more and you aren't being nearly efficient enough.

I should have added a small amount of protein. And some potassium like a banana (fruit carb)!

Those first few sessions are brutal. Absolutely brutal.

How hard where those diamond push-ups?

Dude I got 14 and fell on my face haha

I believe Day 3 is dips AMAP! Get ready!

I love the routine. I wanted to start getting back into this, but I felt like I needed a little base of overall fitness. I started running again about a month ago and have been on a steady diet of pushups and eating better. Today was a good day to get after it.

I hope this thread continues to blow up! Just wanted to share something I was thinking about during my workout that applies to my MC prep but also applies to everyone on the forum in my opinion. One thing that 100% will not hinder me come July is my fitness level. I think as golfers we tend to take it for granted and feel that it isn't really a vital aspect. I think fitness level is something that we can control better than any aspect of the game. I can increase my health at a much faster rate than I can increase my level of play. The good thing though is that better health will likely lead to better play for all of us.

What I'm trying to say is that we will all be let down by our swing at some point during a round. You hit a pull or a snap hook or duff a chip, whatever. There is no reason for our fitness levels to let us down as well. I don't ever hear a dude on tour blame a bad day on his fitness level. I hope this is coming off as clearly as it was in my head.

As far as my workout I went full body today at a fast pace. Once I get into the gym I get this overwhelming feeling of wanting to destroy myself haha. Halfway through my workout I thought it would be a good idea to throw in a 500 meter row between exercise changes. I challenged myself by making sure I got to 500 meters in under 2 minutes every time. Good times.

This is so so so so true. We will all make bad swings or have bad luck. We can control what we eat, drink and lift. We can control how far we run or if we get up off the couch. We all CAN make it happen. The question is whether or not we will.

After the summer I had gotten physically worse since I played golf and didn't do any workout...the a small uprise, but the x-mas holidays usually ruin a lot :D Now back on track again.

Lost a couple of pounds. Weight now; 181 pounds. Aiming to turn fat into muscles, I don't care about my weight, but maybe 1/4 of current body fat needs to go. Trying to hit the gym 3-5 times a week, but I would definitely need more cardio.

I'm currently doing a program like this;

(I do this and Arnold's G6, changing every couple of months.)

Most series are 3 x 10-15 reps. One large leg exercise per day, no separate leg day. Weights have gone slightly up, but I need to spend some more time and concentrate on the quality of the exercise. Just like golf practice. Quality.

Monday - Chest
· Pushups (3 x 25)
· Nautilus chest press
· Nautilus incline press
· Pec deck machine
· Incline leg press
· Abs

Tuesday - Back
· Pull ups (as many as I can x 3)
· Seated rows
· Lat pulldowns
· T-bar rows
· Deadlifts
· Abs

Wednesday - Shoulders
· Arnold dumbbell press
· Lateral raises
· Front raises
· Barbell squats
· Abs

Thursday - Biceps/Triceps
· Nautilus curl machine
· EZ cable curls
· Hammer curls
· Tricep pushdowns
· Calf raise
· Abs

Friday - cardio
I try to get some cardio on friday or saturday, but there's a lot of stuff coming in the way. But sometimes I can, sometimes I cant.

After the summer I had gotten physically worse since I played golf and didn't do any workout...the a small uprise, but the x-mas holidays usually ruin a lot :D Now back on track again.

Lost a couple of pounds. Weight now; 181 pounds. Aiming to turn fat into muscles, I don't care about my weight, but maybe 1/4 of current body fat needs to go. Trying to hit the gym 3-5 times a week, but I would definitely need more cardio.

I'm currently doing a program like this;

(I do this and Arnold's G6, changing every couple of months.)

Most series are 3 x 10-15 reps. One large leg exercise per day, no separate leg day. Weights have gone slightly up, but I need to spend some more time and concentrate on the quality of the exercise. Just like golf practice. Quality.

Monday - Chest
· Pushups (3 x 25)
· Nautilus chest press
· Nautilus incline press
· Pec deck machine
· Incline leg press
· Abs

Tuesday - Back
· Pull ups (as many as I can x 3)
· Seated rows
· Lat pulldowns
· T-bar rows
· Deadlifts
· Abs

Wednesday - Shoulders
· Arnold dumbbell press
· Lateral raises
· Front raises
· Barbell squats
· Abs

Thursday - Biceps/Triceps
· Nautilus curl machine
· EZ cable curls
· Hammer curls
· Tricep pushdowns
· Calf raise
· Abs

Friday - cardio
I try to get some cardio on friday or saturday, but there's a lot of stuff coming in the way. But sometimes I can, sometimes I cant.

Looks good my friend!!

Low incline bench
Dumbbell Military press
Inverted row
Rope face pull

That sounds like a wicked workout. How many set(s) and rep(s) for each? Definitely interested in following along and even giving it a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back