Playing in "The Club Championship"...What are you most confident in?

Six4three5

Tour Star...Layin' Up!
Reaction score
Handicap
2.5 GHIN
Figured this would be a fun thread to discuss as we have what is your biggest fear on the course? Take this one as in you're playing in a big tournament, club championship, big cash game, something with a lot of pressure. What part of your game are you most confident in?

Staying straight off the tee?
Consistent iron play?
Sticking the wedges close?
Short game around the green?
Putting?
Scrambling?

I'd like to hear what people are most confident in, I think in golf we focus a lot on the negatives about our game and how we want to fix them, let's discuss the positives and how we can build on them!

For me I'd have to say my tee game. It's always came pretty natural to me. I've always consistently hit the ball pretty straight off the tee. Not to terribly long, but straight and I tend to keep myself out of trouble.

My iron play is a comforting part of my game. If I can get the ball in the fairway off the tee, I believe I can hit them well from anywhere on the course..

Most confident in my putting. Get me on the surface and I can get home at least in 2 from about anywhere IMO.

I'm more confident there than anywhere and its not even close, I know I can salvage a round with my putting.

My iron play is a comforting part of my game. If I can get the ball in the fairway off the tee, I believe I can hit them well from anywhere on the course..

That's something I want to be confident in. Something I've been working hard at is being much more consistent with the irons. If you can hit greens, the scores will drop IMO.

Great thread. Should be a fun thread.

For me I would rely heavily on my tee game and my short game. These two aspects I feel are my two biggest strengths and if I can play to them, I could be much better. When they are off though I can be in for a long day.

I would also say my putting. I do pretty good on the greens. I also do pretty well on my chipping game. I can usually get it pretty close if I'm just off the green.

That's something I want to be confident in. Something I've been working hard at is being much more consistent with the irons. If you can hit greens, the scores will drop IMO.

Before I made a minor tweak to my swing while recovering from surgery, I was always pitching out from the woods from errant tee shots and then firing at the green. Once I got on the greens, I was having more three putts than JB has golf shoes. My handicap will go back down to a decent level this year. My irons will finally have some help :thumb:

For me, keeping it in play off the tee and consistent mid/short iron play. I'm very confident with my driver and longer clubs right now, as well as my short irons. I need to do some work on my longer irons though, particularly the 5, because it took a vacation my last round. Usually I hit it well.

I live or die, though, by my short game. If it's on, I play well, if not, look out 90's...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Funny this comes up as my strengths have changed quite a bit over the last few years.

I have typically been strong around the greens (especially chipping close) and that has saved many a round and won some matches.

Lately I've lost that touch but my course management has changed.

I now view course management as more of a strength which has led to a very strong tee game.

I'm hitting more fairways but not hitting more greens which is putting pressure on the short game....a lot of pressure.

I have a tourney tomorrow as a matter of fact and will rely on getting off the tee to hopefully setup success.

If I can manage to get the short game back, I should be a single digit again easily. I'm up to the challenge.

Funny this comes up as my strengths have changed quite a bit over the last few years.

I have typically been strong around the greens (especially chipping close) and that has saved many a round and won some matches.

Lately I've lost that touch but my course management has changed.

I now view course management as more of a strength which has led to a very strong tee game.

I'm hitting more fairways but not hitting more greens which is putting pressure on the short game....a lot of pressure.

I have a tourney tomorrow as a matter of fact and will rely on getting off the tee to hopefully setup success.

If I can manage to get the short game back, I should be a single digit again easily. I'm up to the challenge.

Im seeing that this is changing for me as well. With deligent work, chipping putting is becoming a strength

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

My game pretty much begins and ends with my driver, which is a scary thought. When my driver is 'on' I blast it out there and with a short iron or a wedge I am usually pretty deadly at giving myself sinkable putts. Right now my game is at a point that if I hit the fairway with a well poked tee ball I will score well, no doubt about it.
When my driver is off it just becomes a scramble fest from the left tree line and sometimes my putter bails me out, sometimes it doesn't.

Driver. I'm not long but I've been extremely confident in my tee game for the past 6 years. All with using three different drivers during that span: Burner Tour, RBZ Tour, SLDR. I'm not long off the tee but average 60% of fairways. So confident when swinging this club. The converse is that when I have a bad day with the club, the rest of the game can follow.

I can find the fairway and have a short game that is progressing nicely. These are the things that bring me good positive thoughts which breed confidence.

JM

For me I'd have to say my tee game. It's always came pretty natural to me. I've always consistently hit the ball pretty straight off the tee. Not to terribly long, but straight and I tend to keep myself out of trouble.

I can attest to this personally. He is a machine off the tee.

Unfortunately, I'm inconsistent with pretty much all aspects of my game which makes it tough to be too confident.
One place I do feel comfortable is my short game when I can bump and run it.

Tough choice but I would probably go with short game around the green. I can typically get it within a couple feet which makes the putting part easy. Unfortunately, my sometimes suspect iron play sets up a lot of these opportunities so I get plenty of practice!

Club Championship, I am usually pretty confident in my short game and putting. Off the tee worries me. I only had one three putt each day in our last Club Championship, and the greens were super fast. Unfortunately, a couple of errant tee shots took me out quite early.

Historically it has been my driver, but my second shot used to let me down a lot. Hoping to rectify that this year.

More recently it's been my play around the green. Get me around the green and I'll get up and down 80% of the time. Probably my most improved area over the past year as well.

I can attest to this personally. He is a machine off the tee.

Unfortunately, I'm inconsistent with pretty much all aspects of my game which makes it tough to be too confident.
One place I do feel comfortable is my short game when I can bump and run it.

Thanks Andy! That day at Mill Creek was probably one of the best tee ball days I've had ever.

My big concern going into any event is my game off of the tee. I hit a low number of fairways for my handicap, but I save myself with my short game and putting. If I'm driving the ball well, then everything else will fall into place. If I'm driving it poorly, that lack of confidence leaks into every other part of my game and it's going to be a bad day.

I'd like to add that since I've gotten my wedge swing dialed in I'm pretty damn confident with 3/4 and 1/2 wedges now too. I used to get real steep and dig with them, but that's something I've worked religiously on to get rid of and it's paid off a lot.

Confidence usually comes with repetition and I set out last year to play in more organized events. Even though my game didn't travel as well as I would have liked, I did see some marked improvement as I progressed. There are a lot of things that can take that confidence away, and few that can bring it back constant. I'm confident that throughout this year I will gain that advantage and be able to control the continued effects of an errant shot...maybe two.

Keeping it in play off the tee, I can usually hit 65-75% of fairways.

my game has changed over the years, used to be a big hitter of the tee with a nice little draw. now a medium hitter with a little draw. best part of my game is short game, when i am on a hot streak there is not a putt i can not make! my short game around the green has saved me many a strokes.

Putting and short game. The full swing is a work in progress, but once I'm near the greens I don't waste strokes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back