Motivation To Improve.

Golferbest

Reaction score
Handicap
So yesterday I talked to a fellow Thp who has a very very strong game, from what everyone says. Index wise id say he's got me by 5 strokes.
I told him that basically my motivation and goal is to get where id make him sweat if we played against each other. He warmly excepted the challenge .
With all this it brought to my attention a question. What is your motivation to improve your golf game. Index? One specific part? Shoot in a certain number range 70's 80's? A person you want to beat? Or any other reason..

I am motivated to be the best I can be. I don't want to beat one person I want to be tops every time I tee it up. I don't limit myself to one event or one person, I'm looking to my future in the game.

I want to show steady improvement. If that's slow and steady, I'm good with that as long as my game is evolving instead of devolving.

I just want to be better. Sure, golf can be fun if I'm playing a round with my friends and enjoying a cold one or two, but it's more fun if I know I'm able to have a bit of control over my shots and playmaking.

I want to get better every day. Doesn't matter which part of my game. If I can get to the range I have a putting green in the basement. Just work on something. Even if it is marginal gains on a daily basis, over time those small improvements will be huge.

My focus is to strive for consistent ball striking. I will have days when they don't all go towards the fairways, greens, etc. however I want my misses to be solid. I think a good solid ball striker is going to win his share of matches, tournaments, and money games.

Motivation To Improve.

My motivation is lower scores/index by improving my ball striking ability and having a strong tee game. I'm honestly tired of hacking my way around the course struggling to shoot in the 90's.

I also would like to play at the best I can.

Last edited:
I've been driven by index for several years. I'm also still trying to beat my dad. Remember when you were a kid or teenager and the best feeling was finally beating your dad at something. My dad taught me to golf and he was really good. Most of my time growing up he was a 3 to 5 index. He passed in '89 and had creeped up to a 7 while battling cancer.

I never had aspirations to match his index until the last few years. I hovered between a 16 and a 13 most of my life, but now that I'm in the singles I'd love to be able to say I'd gotten to his level of play. I got down to a 7 last summer. Next goal is to get to 5.

I always want to improve, I can't stand being stagnant. In everything I do I just want to get better. So for golf it's no different, i know I will never be the best but as long as I can improve each time I go out then I consider that a step in the right direction.

For me I don't think my motivation stems from beating a certain individual or obtaining a certain scoring range. Like many have mentioned prior to my post, I think the drive to have a fundamentally sound golf game, confidence, and playing well is where my motivation lies.

My question would be if you did set your motivation based on beating a certain individual, would your golf game and motivation become staginate?

My motivation to improve is to not be embarrassed by any shot I hit.
Poor shots I can handle, bad shots generate that internal cringe and either awkward silence from partners or "encouraging" words.

My motivation to improve stems from my desire to be able to be relatively comfortable standing over almost any shot. When my confidence and comfort builds, my scores will undoubtedly decrease.

I hate stagnation and or going backward in anything, especially golf. I love the sound and feel of a perfectly struck ball and I love working on the game so I can hit as many of them as I can, it's like looking for the holy grail and it takes a ton of work to find it. I love work and being driven.

For me I don't think my motivation stems from beating a certain individual or obtaining a certain scoring range. Like many have mentioned prior to my post, I think the drive to have a fundamentally sound golf game, confidence, and playing well is where my motivation lies.

My question would be if you did set your motivation based on beating a certain individual, would your golf game and motivation become staginate?

Good questions. In my case the person in pretty much scratch. So when I get there I dont think it will be stagnant at all. Also im one that after reaching a goal I set another one. Motivation never stops I just use different methods to grade results.

Golf motivates me to constantly improve because this game is so difficult to master. My motivation comes from both good and bad shots. A good shot drives me to perform and a bad shot frustrates me because I know I can play better. I'm sure most of us would be more motivated by poor play because we want to improve. The game is humbling though. I don't like I would love it so much if it was easy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Good questions. In my case the person in pretty much scratch. So when I get there I dont think it will be stagnant at all. Also im one that after reaching a goal I set another one. Motivation never stops I just use different methods to grade results.

Excellent response. With stagnation becomes bad habits.

As the great Bobby Jones said...
"No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par."
- Bobby Jones

My motivation to improve is consistently shooting in the 80's. I know I can get there & that is my target.

All of us have different levels that our god given abilities will let us reach. As long as at the end of the day I can say I gave it my all and didn't give up I'm happy.

The motivation to improve is based solely on I love hitting good golf shots. For me it comes down to pushing myself to be the best I possible can be. Not a person, a shot, a course....it's all me.

So yesterday I talked to a fellow Thp who has a very very strong game, from what everyone says. Index wise id say he's got me by 5 strokes.
I told him that basically my motivation and goal is to get where id make him sweat if we played against each other. He warmly excepted the challenge .
With all this it brought to my attention a question. What is your motivation to improve your golf game. Index? One specific part? Shoot in a certain number range 70's 80's? A person you want to beat? Or any other reason..

Good question. I don't feel like my game is anywhere near my potential. My motivation is to try to get there--wherever that may be. I also want to work on my consistency--minimize the 'blow up' rounds and mental mistakes on the course. In concrete terms, my goal to try to get my handicap as near to scratch as I can and break 70 this year.

Right now it's my love of competition that is motivating me to improve. My entire golf year used to revolve around the city match play championship, but my game has been so bad the last few years that I have been embarrassed to even try to qualify. I think regaining the confidence may be the hardest part. But that is my motivation, to compete again.

Being a really competitive person, I don't do anything unless I'm trying to be the best at it. That goes for my golf game as well. I know I'll probably never be a tour caliber golfer, but that doesn't mean I can't be the best at my course or in my area. I'll continue to work towards that goal. That's my mindset on anything I do.

I did not take up golf until I was in my 50's, I did go out some when I was in my 20's & 30's but that was just to drink beer and hang out with my buddies. I would like to consistently shoot in the 70's and to finally break into the 60's at least one round. I also wish there was some way I could get some distance back, I am getting shorter each year and now play most of my rounds from the "senior" tees as from the "standard" tees I am finding I can't reach several of the par 4's in regulation.

What motivates and drives me is the question I always ask myself "How good can I be". Every other sport I have ever played I always knew that answer. When it comes to golf I have no idea

For me one of the things I love about this game is I always can get better and that is motivation for me. I also pick a goal to reach and then move onto the next one so that way I am achieving them.

Having signed up for a handicap last year for the first time and seeing it drop has me motivated to keep lowering it. Lots of short game and putting practice is showing up as up and downs, that has me motivated to keep working on it

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Back