To join a Country Club or not to join.....

Chip2Hole

Reaction score
Handicap
So i've been debating if this is the year I become a member of a club, but I'm just not sure if Im C.C material or really understand all the perks of being a member-- I think I'd really utilize the membership for golf mostly instead of engaging in all social components and events.

I live in NW chicago and last season, I rekindled my love for the game again and played the most golf in one season that i've ever played(50+).

Is the money for membership worth it.. are there better options?
What really come with those memberships? are they negotiable?

Can anybody share some C.C experiences.. or maybe some Pros/Cons of C.C...

Thanks y'all

If you look at it as a value proposition you're probably going to be disappointed. CC's are great at a couple things, and taking your money is one of them. Dues are one thing, but all the other stuff adds up - events, cart fees, locker, monthly F&B minimums.

If you're looking for the best bang for your buck, you might find a course membership is better.

CCs are good for being able to play when you want though - especially what are normally busy times at public courses (sometimes). I showed up Saturday morning, inevitably chatted with somebody that asked if I wanted to play, and then we got in line on the first tee. However, I ran into some issues playing other times because of events (club or outside events) or other things. Eventually that annoyed me a little.

The practice area was probably my favorite benefit.

If you're looking to meet some people and take advantage of those types of benefits it will be much more appealing to you. I was sort of surrounded by guys that were older than me and all friends, so I never felt like I really fit in.

I am walking away from my membership at the end of the month. It was my first time being a member at a club and gave it a year. I was the minority, being <40 and I didn't get a whole lot out of the social side of the membership. So if I look at it as golf only, I was paying a lot of money to play this one course only. I have decided to give it up and have the opportunity to play more of the courses around town and attend THP events.

I am walking away from my membership at the end of the month. It was my first time being a member at a club and gave it a year. I was the minority, being <40 and I didn't get a whole lot out of the social side of the membership. So if I look at it as golf only, I was paying a lot of money to play this one course only. I have decided to give it up and have the opportunity to play more of the courses around town and attend THP events.

Pretty much my experience as well. Could have potentially changed that by staying a couple years, but with the 2nd baby coming and not really loving the club it was a no-brainer.

For me, it came down to the cost verses the amount of time I would be able to play. Meaning if the membership cost me $1500 a year, and I was only going to be able to play maybe an average of 2 times a month (overall) then is that worth it? My answer was no in that example. It was simple really, $1500 divided by 24 equals $62.50 a round. Most of the courses around here are less than that per round with a cart AND a bucket of range balls on the side. NOW, where you are and with the number of rounds you're talking about, then it might be worth it.
For a lot of Country Clubs, you have food and beverage side minimums built into the monthly cost, so don't, but you are required to have them on the side anyway. No one is going to force you to go to the social events of course, that's up to you. All of the Country Clubs I have looked at, the price is what it is, none negotiable.
Bottom line, for me, it's all about cost per round and can I make that work in my budget. My answer was no, but I also like playing other courses and not being stuck with just the one. With that said, a lot of clubs will let you come and play in their network of other clubs, reciprocal benefits. Those can be nice if there are some other clubs in the area you'd like to play from time to time. You'll pay for that round, but usually it's at discount once your club pro calls and set it up.

Hope that helps a little.

If you break cost down I am sure I don't get my total investment back just talking dollars, but being able to go hit balls at lunch, leave work at 3:00pm and be teed off and have 18 in by 6 or 6:30 on a weekday and having a fabulous course to play make it worth it to me. But there are pros and cons both ways. The fact I have a very nice CC 5 minutes from my office is what really makes the $250.00 per month worth it

I belong to a CC, mainly because the course is never crowded, I never have to make a tee time, I can practice for as long as I want and it's very close to my office. Hawk is correct that from a value standpoint, you will not save money unless you play golf around the clock. I have a food minimum, but the club is nice enough to take family and friends to for lunch/brunch/dinner and I can also get take out, so it's not that tough of an obligation for me. So the benefits are that I can play whenever I want as fast or slow as I want on a well designed, well maintained course, and practice as much as I want. I definitely wouldn't golf as much as I do without the membership. I also have some where I can take family and friends and it's close enough to work that I can stop in whenever for lunch, drinks, etc.

Socially, the membership is nice but I haven't really met anyone I'd go out of my way to play with. I get along with the golf pro and bartender really well and quite honestly, that's most important. But it's generally a pretty laid back club, everyone gets along and I've never felt like an outsider or anything like that.

As far as the downside goes, you play the same course all of the time. I really like the course, so that doesn't bug me. Some times you have events that can throw you off, but that's usually resulted in me starting from the Fourth instead of the First, etc. And the cost. If you injure yourself or feel like taking a break from the game, you're still paying for golf regardless.

My advice would be to do a lot of research on the club and talk to people who are members, or who know members. And make sure you get all of the costs up front. When I was looking, one of the clubs had really reasonable member dues, but then killed you on all the extras, like a $35/month beverage charge (non alcoholic). That was enough for me to look elsewhere. Get a sense of the type of place it is and if it's some where you could feel completely comfortable (since you'll be paying a good amount to hang out there).

Each country club will do things in different fashion so make sure you get all the details. The ones remaining locally have gotten more aggressive about recruiting new members and are offering better deals - at least in our neck of the woods. One now even offers a limited golf only membership.

So i've been debating if this is the year I become a member of a club, but I'm just not sure if Im C.C material or really understand all the perks of being a member-- I think I'd really utilize the membership for golf mostly instead of engaging in all social components and events.

I live in NW chicago and last season, I rekindled my love for the game again and played the most golf in one season that i've ever played(50+).

Is the money for membership worth it.. are there better options?
What really come with those memberships? are they negotiable?

Can anybody share some C.C experiences.. or maybe some Pros/Cons of C.C...

Thanks y'all

pretty much did samething, had a family membership. Kids didn't go unless with me.. They nickel and dime you to death so was 400 per month when we didn't go and about 900 per month when we went.. If I lived in neighborhood where club was I would join again just based on convience

This sounds awfully familiar to some thoughts I have been having, living in the far northern Chicago burbs. Without playing a lot of rounds, there is almost no way to find a break-even based on strictly golf costs. So, I'm really looking at some of the other amenities that are available, including junior programs, pool, fitness center, etc. One of my primary concerns is the club demographics. Need to find one that is a good fit for my laid-back nature, and also provides opportunities for me (and my daughter) to get to know folks of similar age/interests.

I honestly don't know if I will find what I want, at a cost I am comfortable with, but am going to be open-minded about it.

I am definitely not country club material and we don't have one where I live, so I can't really comment on that part of it. The "nice" course where I live has very reasonable membership fees, I only need to play 35 rounds a year to break even.

I got a country club just 5 minutes away but I am not going to pay $150 for membership, plus $50 for equipment, $25 for food a month. I can get a Golf membership at two courses both 10 minutes away for $305 for unlimited golf all year long. For me that will only take like 17.5 rounds to have that payed off. And if I keep up like I did last year I'll have that done in a month.

Like most have said, it boils down to cost and how much you will play. I've always thought about it like this; take the total cost (golf, cart, range, F&B min, etc.) and divide by the number of rounds you will play and get a cost per round for an entire year, not just a month. Compare that to greens fees in the area and see where it shakes out. Is is more? Is it less? Is it way less? Is it about the same? If you figure in the additional items and just think of them as perks you get, it adds a little more value to it IMO. If it is about the same, you have some thinking to do. If it more, it doesn't make much sense to me, unless you just want the CC lifestyle. If it is less it might be worth considering. My Dad once told me that his per round cost at his club for everything averaged about $12 due to the number of rounds he played. You can't beat that anywhere.

There are other things to consider other that straight cost. In Chicagoland, I'd heavily factor in the winter months. I'm guessing 6 months of good play, 2-3 months where you don't know what you'll get, and probably 3-4 months of very little play if any. That's why I suggested averaging out the cost for the entire year since some of the cost will go unused for golf. Something else is the course factor. Will you mind playing it and only it, or do you like to travel around to different courses? Financially, it can be tough to do both. How is the pro shop and staff? Many courses offer member discounts and hold private demo events and the like. That can be a nice benefit that not everyone can take advantage of unless you are a member. Does the course hold a bunch of events that close the course? A friend was a member at a club and he got out because they held Sat and/or Sun events sometimes twice a month and he didn't get to play as much because of it. It's one thing to have a league on a weekday evening, but another to hold tournaments twice a month on the weekends. One of the best perks about a membership is you can play when and how much you want most times. Since you aren't just paying for 18 holes, many times you can go where you want. The course I played when I was younger had a lot of back and forth so we used to get done with 18 and then play six or seven random holes no one was on to finish the day.

Lots of things to consider, but to me, cost is usually the most prevalent.

The reason my family joined one is two fold, one it was very affordable and second it allows me unlimited golf and range time, as well as the family the pool. The club is super family friendly and in the end it just made sense. I miss not being able to play different courses each week, but the convenience and family friendly atmosphere make up for that pretty quick.

If you look at it as a value proposition you're probably going to be disappointed. CC's are great at a couple things, and taking your money is one of them. Dues are one thing, but all the other stuff adds up - events, cart fees, locker, monthly F&B minimums.

If you're looking for the best bang for your buck, you might find a course membership is better.

CCs are good for being able to play when you want though - especially what are normally busy times at public courses (sometimes). I showed up Saturday morning, inevitably chatted with somebody that asked if I wanted to play, and then we got in line on the first tee. However, I ran into some issues playing other times because of events (club or outside events) or other things. Eventually that annoyed me a little.

The practice area was probably my favorite benefit.

If you're looking to meet some people and take advantage of those types of benefits it will be much more appealing to you. I was sort of surrounded by guys that were older than me and all friends, so I never felt like I really fit in.

I agree. with Hawk. I've been tempted many times over the years as there is a great private club close by, but the cost when compared to what I pay now keeps me going back to where I've played forever. You just have to ask yourself if it is worth the extra money.

The reason my family joined one is two fold, one it was very affordable and second it allows me unlimited golf and range time, as well as the family the pool. The club is super family friendly and in the end it just made sense. I miss not being able to play different courses each week, but the convenience and family friendly atmosphere make up for that pretty quick.

Unlimited range time would be a huge perk, I wish we had a course that included a driving range in their membership.

I think you should get your money's worth if you play 50 rounds a year.
I've been a member at a club for the last two years. Next month I'm going to change to another club. From a golf only standpoint, I might come out better being a non member, but kids need a pool for the summer, so that seals the deal.
Luckily, both clubs have non golf amenities and no food min or joining or equity fee. Current club has a decent gym. New club has unlimited range balls and allows members to fish in the lake. I'm looking forward to the fishing almost as much as the golf.
Clubs also normally have leagues, tournaments and/or a Saturday & Sunday game so if you don't have a regular foursome, that's a good way to get into the mix. As a single, that's nice. Or as others have said, it's usually easier to get out without a tee time at a club, which is another perk, especially w 2 young kids.

Here is my take on the CC membership as I have been a member at two CC in the past 10 years.

1. Value wise is it a smart decision? For me I found myself not wanting to play the same course over and over, therefore I was spending additional money playing other courses. Now if the CC you plan on joining offers multiple courses to play it is a no brainer.

2. The social events can be a great addition as your spouse (if you have one) will become a part of women's group, therefore allowing you to play more golf.

3. Tournaments - These can be fun therefore challenging you to play competitive golf.

4. Open Range times - never a worry of having a place to practice.

Overall I think I would join a CC again, but I would definitely need to do my research prior to. The last CC I was a member of had a older member base and the club tended to take on that image. Had it's benefits of course, but did that outweigh the price we paid?

I'm likely joining a private club this year. My reasons are base entirely on value. I spent 2013 playing a lot of golf at different courses around my house. The golf was cheap but come summer the courses are crowded and in poor shape. Also, if I wanted to go to a good driving range I had to drive a little further which takes time. By joining a private club I save a lot of travel time, I can play unlimited rounds, and hit as many golf balls as I like. As a bonus one of our THP brothers is a member there. The cost is higher than what I was paying but I feel you get what you pay for. I think the club has a lot to offer and I'm looking forward to taking advantage of all if has to offer. One thing is for sure, I'll be playing a lot of golf this year and feel I will have no problem getting my money's worth!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I'm likely joining a private club this year. My reasons are base entirely on value. I spent 2013 playing a lot of golf at different courses around my house. The golf was cheap but come summer the courses are crowded and in poor shape. Also, if I wanted to go to a good driving range I had to drive a little further which takes time. By joining a private club I save a lot of travel time, I can play unlimited rounds, and hit as many golf balls as I like. As a bonus one of our THP brothers is a member there. The cost is higher than what I was paying but I feel you get what you pay for. I think the club has a lot to offer and I'm looking forward to taking advantage of all if has to offer. One thing is for sure, I'll be playing a lot of golf this year and feel I will have no problem getting my money's worth!

Oasis huh? Love that place. Will have to come down and show you 2 how not to play it

Oasis huh? Love that place. Will have to come down and show you 2 how not to play it

Yes sir! Canadan has the connection and it's super close to my house. I'm crossing my fingers it all comes together in the next month or so.

Yes sir! Canadan has the connection and it's super close to my house. I'm crossing my fingers it all comes together in the next month or so.

Yeah I'm sure it will work out

Dude that is awesome Andy. I love that course and now there is another playing partner when I head that way to play.

Yeah I'm sure it will work out

I played so much at crappy courses last yr around my place that having a nice course excites me. I'm sure my game will improve and I'll enjoy the game a little more.

I'm a pretty big fan of CC memberships, it definitely raises the cost per round if you can't play a ton but when you can play, it's not an overcrowded course with 5+ hour rounds, for me I'll pay for convenience and quiet. The other thing is practice, if you join a course with a nice range and short game area you can go whenever you want for as long as you want and really work on the things that need help in your game, it's my favorite part of membership. As long as you don't get stuck with having to pay a bunch of ancillary fees or assessments. In the end it boils down to what you want out of it, if you want a social life and you're young, it may be difficult to find it, if you want golf, golf, and more golf without the hassle of overcrowded courses and don't care about the social life it may be right for you.

Back