What is the most difficult gap to fill in your bag?

Wicked Cool Bearded Man

4thegolf+4thefriends
Reaction score
Handicap
6.3 GHIN
Just as it says, when you are setting up your bag for the season, what is your problem area? For me it is 215-235. For whatever reason, every year it seems that I'm scrambling to fill that gap with either one or two clubs depending on the rest of my set up.

Good question and thread.
I dont have one I would call difficult to fill, but rather where am I willing to sacrifice a small gap to make sure my strengths are covered.
Last year it was the 195 mark. The year before that it was the 115 mark.

I can take a bit off a club to get it there, but its each of those have been gaps I have dealt with in the past to keep the setup set to my strengths.

For me it's always been that 80 yard range. I uses to carry a 60 lob wedge but was too inconsistent with it. Right now I take a bit off my 57 bit would to have a club in the bag I could take full swings with.

Last year it was about 110-115 yards. I can't kill my SW to get that far, but I never really found a good way to get my AW down there consistently. I hope that gap is filled with more knowledge and better technique.

Just as it says, when you are setting up your bag for the season, what is your problem area? For me it is 215-235. For whatever reason, every year it seems that I'm scrambling to fill that gap with either one or two clubs depending on the rest of my set up.

Your yardage gap is pretty much where mine is, too. I expect my hybrid to be in the 205 to 215 range (save for those times when I actually do hit it pure), and my 3 wood is 235 on up. I don't really scramble to fill it, though (yet, anyway). I prefer to minimize gaps in the short-end of the bag, and accept one on the longer end.

I would say its 205-230 range. I don't consistently hit a club that far (other than driver) & I'm always scrambling to figure out what to hit...3W or 2hybo???... If there is no trouble I'll take a chance with one of those clubs. Otherwise I usually will break it down and go 7-8 iron then wedge. I've learned to manage the course & eliminate big mistakes.

Last year it was 225-245yds....outside the 3 iron range, and inside the 3deep range. Not sure this year yet....I'm expecting it to somewhere between the 4 iron and 5wood range.

Your yardage gap is pretty much where mine is, too. I expect my hybrid to be in the 205 to 215 range (save for those times when I actually do hit it pure), and my 3 wood is 235 on up. I don't really scramble to fill it, though (yet, anyway). I prefer to minimize gaps in the short-end of the bag, and accept one on the longer end.

This is why I went to a 5 wood set up last year. Well at least for the second half. I was hitting my 3 wood about 260 ish and my 21 degree about 235. With nothing in between. The 5 fixed that.

I have no club that I can consistently hit from around the 200+ yard mark. I am erratic with every 3 metal I've ever gamed, and prefer to carry a 4, but can't hit it that far. I'm hoping to learn something at the Adams event this month. The other gap I have is from 50-60 yards. That's just a confidence thing that I should be able to fix.

Then, once I fixed that- I took out a long iron which created the gap I have now and the reason for starting the thread haha

110-130

I tend to scoop full wedges a lot and come up short. Can take partial swings to get there, but harder to get the ball up in the air.

It was the 230 range but that new SlDR Rescue has fixed that for me. Now I need to work on the 80 yd range.

If I hit it right I believe I have most of my lower gaps filled. For me it would probably be the gap between my 3W and driver, so say 235-265 maybe. Would mostly only come into play off the tee if my ideal distance is maybe 250.

65-85 yards. Not so much because of a lack of a club that can effectively get that range, but probably because that's where I really stop having a go-to club for a full swing to get that distance. It's easy to get psyched out in terms of how hard to swing and chicken out a bit on the shot.

For me it's always been that 80 yard range. I uses to carry a 60 lob wedge but was too inconsistent with it. Right now I take a bit off my 57 bit would to have a club in the bag I could take full swings with.

And bingo was his name-o. Same issue with me. I dont have the consistent knock-down wedge shot and I couldnt hit a lob wedge if my life depended on it.

My most difficult gap is the 215-225 gap in my bag. My 3 iron hybrid goes about 205-210 and the next club in my bag which is. 16.5 hybrid goes about 230

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

I'd say my most problematic yardage for me is between 100-130 yards. My current bag has a sizeable gap between my PW and 52*, making me hit half and 3/4 shots with my PW in this distance.

105-110 and there isn't a close second. I either have to lay into a 58 or back off a 54. I'm not a fan of doing either and I don't make very good contact when I choke down on a club. It is definitely something I plan on addressing this season.

Well this made me think and I'm glad it did. For me I struggle with the 210-230 yard shots. I tend to lose it to the right with a 3 & 4i...great time to start thinking Hybrid I guess.

Mine is driver to 6 iron aka long game. Always have struggled after hitting off the deck and needing to hit like a 170-220 shot. Really working on this now though.

Last edited:
For me its 180-195. I don't really fill that gap and it doesn't bother me too much. I only come across a couple shots like that every couple rounds or so, and its always long par 3s where I can get the ball there many different ways.

Mine would be 210-230. I can get my 4 iron out to about 210 on a fairly regular basis. But after taking my 3 iron, I have lost that 210-220 range. Hence the reason for looking for a 3 iron that I can drop into that slot and get that 210-225 range back in play.

Besides the one between my ears, most yardages at the lower end between my gaps with trouble just short of that.

This is another reason why I am so excited about my Cleveland set up this year. Cleveland has unique lofts that are new to me. I feel like my gap issue will be resolved on its own because of this. One can hope.

Right around 200 yards for me. I can get my 4 iron to 190 consistently, but then my 3h carries about 220. And, it's amazing how many more shots I end up with from 200 yards exactly (Murphy's Law). I've thought of replacing my 4i with a 4h, but that might create another gap.

Back