The Best/Worst 45 minutes of My Life

SliceOfLife

Philthy Lefty
Reaction score
Handicap
12-ish
At a local discount sporting goods store I noticed a broomstick putter and I couldn't help myself. I picked it up and started dropping putts and fell in love. I took it home with me, but made a stop at a pro shop to pick up a new Super Stroke split grip. Then I stopped at the hardware store and bought myself some KleanStrip and MAAS metal polish....and off I went. Everything turned out okay, but as I'm "slipping" the new grip on it got about 6 inches down and UH OH. It stopped moving.

So after about 20 minutes and about 3 pulled muscles and almost my entire bottle of spirits covering the room like a Dexter kill scene...I got it done. Here are some decent pictures, it really does look better in person.

1m55.jpg

cv9x.jpg

ro18.jpg

emde.JPG

ef97.JPG

8isg.jpg

That does look good. And the colors make it look like you custom ordered it. Nice job.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Nice job. Really looks sharp. hope nothing was hurt too bad in the process haha

Nice work, your description of this had me laughing.

Don't just hate it when you are slipping on the grip and it stops mid way through the process! :angry: I think my problem with this is not applying enough fluid when wetting down the tape.

I like the green color.

My friend I have put on many grips in my golfing days. I will be the first to admit that a two part s.s long putter grip is a test to your manhood.
I put one on my gilfriends putter thay I gave her. I literally was dripping sweat and was red as a tomatoe by the time I finished. I almost tried to use a come'a'long to get it on. I told her it better last forever and thank god they are changing the rules on those putters.
That putter looks good though.

Nice putter! Roll it well!

Dam man that looks sweet but sorry to hear you hurt yourself. That putter has to make some good putts now after what you went through.

Sounds like a LOT of work, but it looks good. Roll it well!

A ton of work, but the end result looks sharp!

Looks really good

I've recently starting gripping my own clubs, and cracked up at your description of it. The end result usually is worth it, and your putter looks fantastic.

Sounded rough, but that sure looks different all naked of color. Great job!

I've never tried to regrip a long putter like that, I can see where it could be difficult to the the bottom portion of the grip all the way down there. Well done.

Thanks for all the kind words guys! I was planning to fill it, but after I got all that cheap pain off and polished it, I was really struck by the way it looked.

Nice job! I like the look much better now.

Looks neat. I love the clean look.

Regardless of the frustrations..... It looks great!!!

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

Two piece long grips always should be put on from the head end (head removed)...............

The short one can be put on from the butt end.

I've been re-gripping for 15 years, and tried many types of grip solvents. The best? Plain Mineral Spirits. Not the fancy odor free kind. I have my re-griping area set up in my garage. Wet the inside of the grip using a small squeeze bottle filled with mineral spirits, the small end of the grip plugged with a Tee. Then thumb over the open end and shake well to coat inside of grip. Pour all that solvent over the tape catching as much as you can for reuse. The pure Mineral Spirits will evaporate slowly, giving you time to adjust the grip. Let set overnight and you're good to go.

Back