Ball placement in stace

Paladin

Otter be golfing
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
OK, so one thing I've always kind of acknowledge is that there is no such thing as a true SBST swing. There's something close to where a face-balanced stroke works best for you, but still, there's an arc to everyone's swing.

That being said, where do you put the ball in your stance to hit the most "square" of your stroke relative to your stance?

I've been putting the ball farther and farther forward in my stance as I've been fighting a "push" in my putting. But I also use a putter tuned for a face-balanced stroke. So where do you put the ball in your stance for what kind of stroke you have, or think you have?

I address the ball with my feet touching, ball in the center. And then I widen my stance with the ball about 1 ball - width inside my left heel. If I'm putting out of the fringe, I'll move it up to my left heel to strike up a little.

I should add that the iPing app says I have a slight Arc putting stroke, fwiw.

For me it works out to two balls off my left foot.

One ball forward from the center of my stance. My putter shaft is in direct line with my "gig line". Military vets should know what that means.

About a ball inside my left heel.

About a ball and a half from front foot, legs about shoulder width, maybe just less.

My ball is well left, just inside my left foot and most of my weight is on that side as well. Putting is a very individual thing. What works for me, more than likely will not work for others.

Untill recently ive always played the ball pretty centered. I recently started using. Seemore one cs. Well with the rst it puts the ball by the left heal. Its taken some time to get use to but it does promote a better roll.

For right handers, the ball should be just under your left eye tear duct. Hold your head still during the stroke and rock your shoulders, no wrist in the stroke. This will help you make contact with a slight up-stroke.

Mine is a little forward of center. Putter shaft pointing at my zipper and ball in front of the putter head.

Just left of center. If your pushing putts, it's a stroke issue, not a ball placement issue.

Putting - ball left of zipper:

Putting is such an individual thing. There is no right or wrong position. I play my ball left, and I play with a guy who is around 65 years old that plays his ball well right with a very open stance and he seems to make everything. One of the best putters I know. I've tried his setup and it does nothing for me. It is all about finding out what type of stroke you have, using the right balance of putter for that stroke and then finding the right setup for that stroke. I think putting is the most subjective part of golf.

Just left of center for me. I roll about 100 - 150 a day trying to improve on maintaining consistent ball placement and stroke. It takes time and reps for sure.

JM

Putting - ball left of zipper:

Having the same ball position is one of the leading factors of having a consistent putting stroke every single time. Even if you are off a half a ball or so you will have a different feel, a different loft at impact and therefore never get consistent. This is one of the many factors that a SeeMore putter offers. Ask a person who uses a SeeMore putter about their ball position. They can tell you whether they made a good putt or a bad putt within 18 inches of the ball rolling on line. Why? Ball is always in the same position. Setup is always the same. Therefore out of the corner of their eye - they are so use to the sound, the feel and the roll of the ball coming off the putter face.

I agree with the masses here...for me, having the ball position just left of center works best for me, particularly with the face-balanced, center shafted putters I prefer. The ball will tend to creep further away from center for me at times, and a pull is usually the result.

Having the same ball position is one of the leading factors of having a consistent putting stroke every single time. Even if you are off a half a ball or so you will have a different feel, a different loft at impact and therefore never get consistent. This is one of the many factors that a SeeMore putter offers. Ask a person who uses a SeeMore putter about their ball position. They can tell you whether they made a good putt or a bad putt within 18 inches of the ball rolling on line. Why? Ball is always in the same position. Setup is always the same. Therefore out of the corner of their eye - they are so use to the sound, the feel and the roll of the ball coming off the putter face.

This is so true. Sometimes I am already pulling over another ball and going through my setup routine before the ball is even to the cup because I know it was a bad stroke. I can hear it.

JM

Just left of center for me, it just looks right standing over it.

Just left of center with the putter shaft straight down the zipper/

I'm left eye dominant, so I putt with the ball just left of center directly under my left eye. I also had some issues pushing putts, and after a switch to a center shafted putter, I'm much more consistent.

I'm left eye dominant, so I putt with the ball just left of center directly under my left eye. I also had some issues pushing putts, and after a switch to a center shafted putter, I'm much more consistent.

If you were right eye dominate, would you put the ball right of center and create a ton shaft lean?

If you were right eye dominate, would you put the ball right of center and create a ton shaft lean?
Not sure. Somebody here linked a video showing the benefit of using your dominant eye when putting. I was always center of the stance prior to that.

Ball placement in stace

I believe that eye dominance should play very little part. Just put the ball in the same place. Just left of center.

I was taught the putter head should be where the bottom of your arc is. Then place the ball in front of that

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Back