Cleveland Classic HB Putter Line Review

But, but, a milled putter can't have a great price point, James...

I know, right?

Sadly people won't try them, instead they'll stay on their false pretense wagon of beliefs. But it's all good, that's the beauty of it all, we all have that right.

I can this, if I was a Cleveland staffer it would be a tough choice between these and the SS. But those dudes can't go wrong either way IMO.

I know, right?

Sadly people won't try them, instead they'll stay on their false pretense wagon of beliefs. But it's all good, that's the beauty of it all, we all have that right.

I can this, if I was a Cleveland staffer it would be a tough choice between these and the SS. But those dudes can't go wrong either way IMO.

I've long been a fan of the milling Cleveland has had on their putters, one of the main reasons I was so attracted to my TFrame

Yea I'll say that hitting the center gives as nice a feeling as you'll get from almost any milled putter out there.

Not the super softest, but then again, neither are many many other killed putters. I do think it's a little lower toned than my NC though.

Curious if anybody else in the Cleveland camp has demoed these or is considering them as opposed to the Smart Square?

I spent more time with the #1 last night. It appears that I'll have an easy time making the move to it when the season starts. I can't really say there's a performance difference at all compared to the #1 WHP or MXM. Obviously some feel difference there compared to the insert, but whatever. I think I'm going to play a few different versions of the same style this year, so this will come in and out of the bag, but the fact that I'm even considering it is a pretty big deal to me after my experience with the WHP.

Curious if anybody else in the Cleveland camp has demoed these or is considering them as opposed to the Smart Square?
It'll be the HB 6 or the SmartSquare for me. Generally I prefer the head shape of the 6 and the milled face almost makes it a no brainer....but I'm going in with an open mind and was instantly blown away with the alignment aid of the squares. And the insert is way more firm than I expected. Good thing I have a few months to decide.

It'll be the HB 6 or the SmartSquare for me. Generally I prefer the head shape of the 6 and the milled face almost makes it a no brainer....but I'm going in with an open mind and was instantly blown away with the alignment aid of the squares. And the insert is way more firm than I expected. Good thing I have a few months to decide.

Definitely good to keep your options open. I tried the SS in the store and it's just not going to work out for me, but no big deal there. I'm monogamous if I can be lol.

I spent more time with the #1 last night. It appears that I'll have an easy time making the move to it when the season starts. I can't really say there's a performance difference at all compared to the #1 WHP or MXM. Obviously some feel difference there compared to the insert, but whatever. I think I'm going to play a few different versions of the same style this year, so this will come in and out of the bag, but the fact that I'm even considering it is a pretty big deal to me after my experience with the WHP.

Havent gotten to the newer line yet, I have tinkered with Rob's smart square in the past so I know what to expect there.

Have rolled some of the prior generations of cleveland putters, didnt do anything for me, but it sounds like improvements have been made based on all the feedback here.

I rolled the #1 in the shop this past weekend, and it just confirmed how that classic Anser style just doesn't work as well for me. I just couldnt feel like I could square up the face on my target line as easily as I could with the SS. Loved the feel off of the face, but I'm not going to be as accurate with it, and I don't have the selection of mallets that you RHers have.

Havent gotten to the newer line yet, I have tinkered with Rob's smart square in the past so I know what to expect there.

Have rolled some of the prior generations of cleveland putters, didnt do anything for me, but it sounds like improvements have been made based on all the feedback here.

I'm not sure I see a ton of differences outside aesthetics, which is fine by me. To me the feel is pretty similar to an older version I have.

I rolled the #1 in the shop this past weekend, and it just confirmed how that classic Anser style just doesn't work as well for me. I just couldnt feel like I could square up the face on my target line as easily as I could with the SS. Loved the feel off of the face, but I'm not going to be as accurate with it, and I don't have the selection of mallets that you RHers have.

Makes sense to me Nate.

I haven't hit them side by side though. I do believe the milling is deeper, so maybe there is a difference.

I haven't hit them side by side though. I do believe the milling is deeper, so maybe there is a difference.

It is a bit deeper, brought the tone down a touch.

Looking very hard at eBay to acquire one of last years models.

I rolled the 1 a few weeks ago and really liked it. I've been playing the 1 from Odyssey's Protype for a good 6 months and there are some things that are similar. The weight may be a little different but not a huge difference. I rolled it quite well the few times I've grabbed it. It will be right up there in consideration.

I rolled the 1 a few weeks ago and really liked it. I've been playing the 1 from Odyssey's Protype for a good 6 months and there are some things that are similar. The weight may be a little different but not a huge difference. I rolled it quite well the few times I've grabbed it. It will be right up there in consideration.

Coming from what is basically the same putter you've been using, I think it will be pretty quick and painless to make the switch. I was glad to see how similar the shapes were.

Coming from what is basically the same putter you've been using, I think it will be pretty quick and painless to make the switch. I was glad to see how similar the shapes were.

I would go to some of the other lines and even the smart square and have little "putt offs" and I just seemed to make more or be around the hole more with the 1. I'm sure I'll go a few more rounds with the "putt off" when it gets closer to time but it's a front running for sure.

Is the 1 something you are considering too?

I would go to some of the other lines and even the smart square and have little "putt offs" and I just seemed to make more or be around the hole more with the 1. I'm sure I'll go a few more rounds with the "putt off" when it gets closer to time but it's a front running for sure.

Is the 1 something you are considering too?

Yes sir. It'll be my putter unless I'm told it can't be. The 4.5 is actually pretty nice too, but #1 eeks it out.

i rolled a #3 HB classic collection at golf galaxy today. it felt great and was very soft feeling. thinking about picking one up.

I use a Scotty California Del Mar But man those Cleveland Classic's are some VERY CLEAN looking putter's. I have had the Chance to roll them on more than a few occasions and I'm Telling you ......YOU WILL NOT find a finer milled putter for a Hundred buck's...They could EASILY double that price and get it.
It feels like velvet coming off the face, Is very well balanced, Has a confident look about it and IMO is one of the most underrated putters on the market today.
If I didn't have my Scotty I would have NOOOO problem finding a home in my bag for it.
If you are looking for a new Flat stick you SERIOUSLY need to give their putters some attention and Respect.

Spent time putting around with this last night on the big indoor practice green. I wanted to bring it to a more open area to gauge the feel/sound better since small spaces can be sort of deceiving.

Not sure exactly what I can say about performance. It's a plumbers neck blade and performs just like a plumbers neck blade, which is a good thing. Thoughts on feel were backed up as well. Center contact was definitely something most could work with. A little skinny on the toe misses like most milled putters.

Another great review for the Cleveland/Srixon staff to study!

Slight change of plans and appears I'll be choosing a MC putter from these. Checking out the review and feedback as we speak.

Slight change of plans and appears I'll be choosing a MC putter from these. Checking out the review and feedback as we speak.

Wait, so you haven't chosen your putter yet? Which one are you leaning towards?

Wait, so you haven't chosen your putter yet? Which one are you leaning towards?
No I have but it's not available.
Originally was going the mid mallet version mainly because I liked the alignment lines on it...framed ball well. Not sure now if I'll go back to blade or not with this line.

Picking from black pearl series this time

No I have but it's not available.
Originally was going the mid mallet version mainly because I liked the alignment lines on it...framed ball well. Not sure now if I'll go back to blade or not with this line

Will be curious to see which one you go with. Solid options from this line, for sure.

Back