How to make my golf bag lighter?

Stogs

Reaction score
Handicap
I currently have Ogio Ozone XX golf bag and it is a good golf bag, but it is very heavy for walking (I only walk). I have 14 clubs, 9 golf balls, and in the big side pocket I have 2 gloves, a winter hat, sunscreen, sun glasses, and a Taylormade Golf wrench. Do I have too many things in my bag or is it just the bag itself? If you have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it, or what is the best golf bag for walking that you have had or heard about.

That bag only weighs 5.5lbs, so I wouldn't expect it to be that heavy. Are you sure someone didn't hide some rocks in the bottom? :bulgy-eyes: The lightest bags are around 3lbs and offer very little storage. I wouldn't expect 2.5lbs to feel that much different.

I have back problems, so I had to give up carrying my bag a few years ago and started using a push cart. Made the game enjoyable again and I didn't have to be conscious about how much stuff I carry.

I walk 95+% of the time also. I have both the Sun Mountain Swift X and Adidas University stand bags that are both lightweight. I do limit my balls usually to 3. I also carry a 15.5 degree 3 wood as opposed to a 14 degree 3 wood and 18 degree 5 wood normally when I am walking to eliminate one club. I also leave the wrench for my driver in my trunk since I am not supposed to adjust it during a round. Those are just a few suggestions that I do that may lighten the load a little. I am not familiar with your bag so can't speak to it.

I would say just in terms of dead weight: sunscreen and the wrench, and a couple extra balls are probably the heaviest things.

I don't really know what to suggest, aside from less clubs. Everything has weight to it, and the clubs will be what weigh it down the most. If there is anything you don't use often, and you really want to cut the weight, then pull a club or two.

I wouldn't think that is too heavy, but if you are looking at dropping weight there are probably some things you could drop. Do you go through 9 balls every round? If not lose 3-6 of them and that will save a lot. The wrench, sunscreen, winter hat, gloves and sunglasses should only be in there if the round calls for them.

I'm very surprised by this! I have the exact back and it's by far on of the best most comfortable bags I've ever owned. It's not the lightest bag on the market but the shoulder straps make it worth the little extra weight

A topic near and dear to my heart. When I made the decision to lighten my load last year my rounds became so much more enjoyable. 1st thing is that OGIO weights are without the rainhood and without the straps so your bag is not as light as you may think. I now use a 2014 Sun Mountain Three 5 bag and It weighs 3.9 pounds with the straps no rainhood. It has plenty of room I consider it full featured. Then dropped a 3 and 5 wood for a 4 wood. Got rid of the lob wedge. Re gapped my long irons with graphite hybrids to drop another club. I carry 11 clubs score better and am full of energy for the ladies when I'm done my round. When I say ladies I mean chasing my daughter around and helping my wife with the housework.

I'm not sure there is anything you can remove. You may want to add a push cart to the arsenal, cling gear my lighten the load and still allow you to walk.

Leave the wrench and 5 balls out and switch to the spray on sunblock. That will save some weight

Sounds pretty bare bones IMO. I'd consider a good cart if you like to walk; studies show it may help your score vs carrying.

I'd think if you need a winter hat, you should have it on already, or you can leave it in the car. Why do you need a golf wrench? Put the sunscreen on before the round and leave the bottle in the trunk. Add more at the turn if you need more. Keep some of the balls in the car and pick up more to replace any you lost when you make the turn.

Things like the wrench, hat, and sunscreen can be stored in a car trunk caddy.

Ogios are heavy, the claimed weight has to be more than stated and I remember reading a post that someone weighed a bunch of bags and found Ogios were much heavier than claimed (as were nearly all the brands tested but the Ogios were way heavier than claimed). I have had three and they're nice bags, but when I have to carry or fly I take my Wilson Elite and the difference is night and day. I currently use an Ogio cart bag w/clicgear and it is the best of both worlds, I play faster and my back holds up much better and the weight is not noticable while on the cart.

How to make my golf bag lighter?

IMO removing some balls, a wrench, and sunscreen isn't going to make much of a difference.

My Ogio seems pretty heavy as well. I may need to do a spot test to see what it weighs empty.

I don't carry. I have a push cart and actually most people at my locals have them unless they are driving But not many percentage of the people carry. I never could understand why carry? I don't play competitive but are push/pull carts not allowed in any competition? Is that why a lot of you carry?

I don't play competitive but are push/pull carts not allowed in any competition? Is that why a lot of you carry?
I carry because, for me, it's not that big of a deal. I don't feel weighed down by the bag and I like the solitude that walking provides me (plus the hypnotic, steady click of my wedges). Why pay for a cart when I can play quicker while walking, get some exercise in, and generally relax while I am out there. As for a push/pull cart ... since my walking seems to be just fine, why pay money for something I don't need at the moment?

I played a few holes with a guy with remote controlled electric cart ... that was weird ... watching his clubs keep pace with us about 20 yards ahead.

This is a great thread. I was just changing my bag back over from my Sun Mountain Synch to the Callaway XTT and noticed how much crap I have in the Sun Mountain bag that I dont need. Extra tees and gloves and balls and 3 pairs of sunglasses.

Make sure it is adjusted correctly. I noticed when I got new bag, it felt "heavier" on my back until I got it situated right. I had it a bit high up, and it just didn't feel correct.

I don't carry. I have a push cart and actually most people at my locals have them unless they are driving But not many percentage of the people carry. I never could understand why carry? I don't play competitive but are push/pull carts not allowed in any competition? Is that why a lot of you carry?

I carried a good portion of my rounds last year. It's just simpler I guess. Grab the bag and go. A good bag and comfy straps make it a painless venture, so no big deal.

This is a great thread. I was just changing my bag back over from my Sun Mountain Synch to the Callaway XTT and noticed how much crap I have in the Sun Mountain bag that I dont need. Extra tees and gloves and balls and 3 pairs of sunglasses.

For sure, the spare stuff does tend to accrue. When I switched from my cart bag to my stand bag, I pulled 2 dozen spare balls, 2 rain jackets, a rain shirt, multiple sunscreen/bugspray, and miscellaneous other junk.

Now, 6 balls, a light rain jacket, and a very tiny container of bugspray is pretty much all I carry. A handful of tees, a divot repair, and a ball marker and I am all set.

I carried a good portion of my rounds last year. It's just simpler I guess. Grab the bag and go. A good bag and comfy straps make it a painless venture, so no big deal.

I'm the same, I've got a cart but sometimes it's just way simpler to grab the bag and go. Carrying is no biggie to me and actually rather enjoyable.

I'm the same, I've got a cart but sometimes it's just way simpler to grab the bag and go. Carrying is no biggie to me and actually rather enjoyable.

It's a different experience. Makes me feel a little nostalgic as lame as that sounds lol. Had to do it for a bag review and then just sort of kept at it.

Yeah I really enjoyed it last year. The only problem I had was with the straps on one of my bag giving me fits in the armpit area lol

As for a push/pull cart ... since my walking seems to be just fine, why pay money for something I don't need at the moment?

Once you go push cart you never go back. Having a place for your larger bag, drink cooler, umbrella, GPS, laser, extra drink, scorecard, and optional chair (for slow days) is priceless. Well worth the $150 I paid for a Clicgear 3.0.

It's a different experience. Makes me feel a little nostalgic as lame as that sounds lol. Had to do it for a bag review and then just sort of kept at it.

Same here. In fact I'd almost rather carry than use my push cart. Except when it hits summer and is 100+ out, then I need all the help I can get.

Back