Serious competition with friends

If we are playing a match among friends, we are ruthless. No gimmes, and we take it very very serious. But it is just for however long the match lasts for.

As soon as the final putt drops, it is back to laughs and drinks.

My friends and I compete against each other and where appropriate we give each other strokes due to handicap. However, it's a stroke play format where we don't concede putts at all and try and stick to the rules of golf as much as possible because we usually are keeping handicaps for each round. We still laugh, joke and have a good time and we're not playing for huge money or big dinners so it's not too much pressure.

I absolutely want to win. I also don't sweat the small stuff and will give a lot of putts and usually they do to. It's a fun time and for the most part we only wager lunch.

We don't give putts. Ever. We usually play stroke play, and even if we would play match play, we don't give nor do we want to take putts.

I sometimes say that they can have the putt, and sometimes they say that to me, but we always play til the last putt. It's not about being serious or uptight, we are just used to play like that, and since practicing is a rarity, every made putt is good practice. Plus, it makes you a better putter under pressure.

We don't take too much time on the green, or hold up the course.

It all depends on who I am playing with. I have a few friends that are pros or serious players, we will play by the rules and be fairly serious as far as concessions. If I am playing with some of my coworkers or friends that don't take the game too seriously, we will relax some of the rules and will not be as stingy with concessions. No matter what type of match, we stay friendly and enjoy the round.

We don't give putts. Ever. We usually play stroke play, and even if we would play match play, we don't give nor do we want to take putts.

I sometimes say that they can have the putt, and sometimes they say that to me, but we always play til the last putt. It's not about being serious or uptight, we are just used to play like that, and since practicing is a rarity, every made putt is good practice. Plus, it makes you a better putter under pressure.

We don't take too much time on the green, or hold up the course.

Good man. This is exactly the way I feel, with the exception that I usually end up conceding putts in matchplay because it's a different animal. Like you said, it's not about being a stiff, it's about making those short putts when they count.

How do you guys and gals handle serious competition with friends? Do you give it your all and go for the throat, making them putt everything out, follow the rules, and keep it business? or do you just relax and let the chips fall where they may giving 2 footers all day and not worrying about the small rules since you're friends?

For me it's a mix but mostly toward the serious side, you won't catch me giving away many putts and I'll be pretty quiet out of concentration not meanness or arrogance, I like to focus and I like to win. Ill hug you, shake your hand, or whatever afterwards lol but for 4 or 5 hours it's business.

If there is money on the line, then it is totally by the rules and all business. I'll even play serious golf with just a beer on the line. I hate to lose.

for all you guys saying you don't give putts, i imagine this is in a stroke play situation? Please tell me in match play when a guy is say within a few feet of the hole & putting for a 6 & everyone else is putting for a 4 you give that guy his putt, at least for the sake of pace of play?

Glad we got that out of the way, now we can get down to business in July (fingers crossed)

As a rule of thumb I play to the level of my competition. If they are by the book, then I am by the book. If they are loosey goosey, then I am. If they want to grind, then let's grind.[

QUOTE=Trout Bum;2787824]How do you guys and gals handle serious competition with friends? Do you give it your all and go for the throat, making them putt everything out, follow the rules, and keep it business? or do you just relax and let the chips fall where they may giving 2 footers all day and not worrying about the small rules since you're friends?

For me it's a mix but mostly toward the serious side, you won't catch me giving away many putts and I'll be pretty quiet out of concentration not meanness or arrogance, I like to focus and I like to win. Ill hug you, shake your hand, or whatever afterwards lol but for 4 or 5 hours it's business.[/QUOTE]

I've never been in this sort of situation yet. I would go by however the people I was playing with were though. I'm totally ok either way. I would just focus on what I'm doing and try to do my best there.

for all you guys saying you don't give putts, i imagine this is in a stroke play situation? Please tell me in match play when a guy is say within a few feet of the hole & putting for a 6 & everyone else is putting for a 4 you give that guy his putt, at least for the sake of pace of play?

Yep, stroke play. In matchplay I give and take putts just like anybody else. I also have no real problem taking/giving putts in stroke if that's how my playing partners want to do it, but if it's up to me I'll always putt out.

If weren't playing for some decent cash, it's basically all business...but I'll give some putts that are close, unless they are for birdie or better, or it's just a really close tap in of course. I want to win, don't get me wrong, but I'm not out to lose friends by doing so. Keep the rules and game fair and it's all good for me.

I want to say it better than JB did, but cannot. I have golfing buddies that take it so serious it takes the fun out of the round, and I refuse to play with them. A delicate balance of trash talk and encouragement with mostly social talk is what I am cool with.

How do you guys and gals handle serious competition with friends? Do you give it your all and go for the throat, making them putt everything out, follow the rules, and keep it business? or do you just relax and let the chips fall where they may giving 2 footers all day and not worrying about the small rules since you're friends?

For me it's a mix but mostly toward the serious side, you won't catch me giving away many putts and I'll be pretty quiet out of concentration not meanness or arrogance, I like to focus and I like to win. Ill hug you, shake your hand, or whatever afterwards lol but for 4 or 5 hours it's business.

I would say the most serious golf I play is with one of my friends. I drive down to Grand Rapids once the courses open, and so does he (we live in different areas). We have a common friend in GR so we have a house to stay at. That house has one extra bed. We play for the bed, so it get's serious, the loser has to sleep on the lumpy couch and the winner gets to crow all night. Putt everything out. He is like a brother, so we can go at each other pretty hard. My brother and other great friend play with us as well, but they battle it out between themselves, it would be fun if all four us were the same level.

Definitely depends who I am playing with. I always want to win, but I play with the same groups of friends regularly and the make-up of the group determines how stringently the rules are observed.

If it's a stroll round 9 in mid-winter with the father in law, then we'll be competitive but we might agree gimmies, placing, or teeing it forward deepening on the condition of the course/hole.

As long as it is the same for all, and not a comp, I think it is ok.

I have played both the serious and laid back kind of golf. Members at a recent club we were members at were serious about no gimmies during stroke play no matter how close the putt was. Heck the women KellyBo played with would pull out a rule book for the slightest thing.

My choice is to have fun and live and let live. I played serious in Vietnam and ever since then I strive to take stuff that is suppose to be a game less serious. That doesn't mean I don't want to win. I'm competitive but if I lose, I don't go home and jump off the back deck which is a cement slab and stuff. And for those opponents in the King I will give some putts during match play because I'm a southern gentleman. :D

We play loose, but the stakes are pretty low. Birdies have to be holed.

Sent using Tapatalk on my Samsung Galaxy S4.

I still want to have fun and usually I'm the one who's on the losing end, so with good friends I will mess with them a bit.

Do things like make them line up for that 2ft putt and then when they're about to take their backswing, telling them "That's Good". I want to win, but having fun with my good friends is more important, even if it costs me a couple bucks.

We play seriously, but still give putts, and root for each other. We want to win because we played better than our buddies, not because they had a bad day. We also limit potential losses to no more than ~$10 at the most so it doesn't get too "crazy."

My group and I play seriously and always for a little money with match play governing the bets. All of us will give putts where its earned or if it is irrelevant to the hole or match overall. It does get intense but that is the nature of competition. Overall we play by the rules but none of us carry a rule book. Any questions or disputes are resolved by consensus amongst the group.

As far as myself personally, I agree with Tadashi that ill play according to the standards set by those I'm playing with. I got out as a single a lot and when I'm paired with a group, I mainly try to keep things loose and keep everyone smiling and comfortable. I'm a goofball for the most part and have no problem playing that role if it makes everyone's round more enjoyable.

sent without the boss's knowledge...

If it's just a regular round then we are pretty easy going, but in tournaments or more formal events we tend to be much more serious. But when I think about it, the MC was very competitive and we obviously putted everything out, but it was still the most enjoyable golf experience of my life. So there is a way to be competitive and serious while still having a ton of fun!

I myself say it is a mix for me. I enjoy the sociable side when playing with friends in a competitive. At the same time I won't give 3 and 4 foot putts away like candy.

Depends on which group of friends I'm with. There are a couple of guys from work who I play with and it's very relaxed and social. Lots of gimmies and joking around.

When I play with friends from my hometown, the guys I grew up with, it's very serious. It has been in every sport we've ever played together and will always be that way. It's fun, but you want to bring your best those days.

Let me also say that playing in a match with people you call friends and starting to beat them and them get all quiet is not fun.
This happened to me twice last year and it makes you not want to be there. And certainly not try to win. It has honestly made me not enjoy the game as much as I used to.

I promise to still laugh and have fun while taking a beating, the least you could do is continue to speak while doing so.

I laughed and joked when you and war took me to wood shed twice last year.

I myself say it is a mix for me. I enjoy the sociable side when playing with friends in a competitive. At the same time I won't give 3 and 4 foot putts away like candy.

Enjoy playing by yourself all summer

Just kidding

Back