Install a grommet and make a better golf towel - here's how.

ClarkeWoodfin

Reaction score
Handicap
Fellow THPers,

Here are some details on a little project I actually just finished, and actually really enjoyed doing it.

Back story: last fall I bought myself a new Taylormade R1 TMX stand bag. It's awesome. It's a stand bag but looks more like a cart bag, and has the leather/pleather/vinyl material. It's normally $275 but since TM has moved on from the R1 to the SLDR, I was able to get this bag for $125 on Ebay. Sweet ! There are still some available out there if any of you guys want one, by the way.

Naturally, I went out and bought a matching Taylormade R1 towel to go with it. The material is really absorbent and it's a good towel. But to my dismay, it's actually what's called a "cart towel" and has a cloth loop and not a grommet like I've always had in the past. By the time you put the loop into a carabiner on a stand bag, it's dragging the ground (see picture). And since my home course is overrun with Canadian geese and their "leftovers", I'm not wild about dragging my towel through goose #!#%. Especially since I use it to wipe the sweat off my face and head during hot days here in Maryland.

While sitting around watching Golf Channel and trying to survive this long cold winter we're having, I got the bright idea to try putting a grommet in it. I figured that at least it would attach to the bag like I was accustomed to, and it would effectively shorten the length of the towel and it wouldn't drag the ground. The project was surprisingly easy. I started with cutting off the loop on the towel. I bought a $10 grommet kit off Amazon. I personally opted for a larger grommet in the 1/2 size. I figured it would be easier to attach and the wider flange of the 1/2 grommet would reduce the chance of it slipping off in the washing machine. The kit was REALLY easy to use and I enjoyed it. I decided to "tri fold" the towel so it would hang straighter, look neater, and would definitely keep it from dragging the ground. I think I had a cart bag I would have put the grommet on one corner and not done the trifold. Either way would work. So what you see in the finished picture is a trifold towel with grommet and you can see it no longer touches the ground and I think it looks sharp. I've since bought three more of them since I know TM won't continue making R1 towels and I want to make sure I don't run out of them since I plan to keep this bag for several years.

A side benefit of the project is that I've got a grommet kit in my tool box now and I could very easily install grommets on a tarp, flag, etc.

Here's the link to the grommet kit on Amazon : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004Y692/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(notice my new THP Albatross bag tag, by the way).

TMtowel1.jpg
TMtowel2.jpg
TMtowel3.jpg
TMtowel4.jpg

Last edited:
Looks nice as a tri-fold. Good write up =)

Looks good. Unfortunately, for me, all of my towels with a grommet on them are wrecked after a few wash cycles.

Did the same but bought mine at Walmart in the craft section.
Very useful

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Looks good. Unfortunately, for me, all of my towels with a grommet on them are wrecked after a few wash cycles.

Hey War Eagle, thanks for the input. I think maybe I'll try putting the towel into a laundry bag before putting in the washer so the trifold doesn't get snagged on a lot of other stuff in the washer.

Very nice write up. I may give this a tr as I have the same problem you were having

Good Job! I have a Frogger towel I need to do this on. Thanks for sharing this!

Very nice.....

To be honest, I have a grommet kit that I bought for fixing a couple tarps here at the house and never even thought about using them on my golf towel, even though I have quite a few tri-folds that have grommets that are screwed up.

I might be strange, but I actually cut the grommet out of every towel I buy. I just don't like any metal in my towel. Just a hole in the towel works for me. I like to carry one to the green with me to clean the ball and wipe my putters off as I walk away after putting out and I don't want scratches on my putter (or other clubs).

Same here, they always come undone.

Great post Clarke, and some very useful info. I may have to give this a try as well.

Funny, i was thinking of doing the same thing to my new Cally towel which has the same huge fabric loop on it. I was on the fence though between the grommet idea or just having someone (like my mommy :) ) sew a "buttonhole" in the same spot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Nice work but not a fan of towels that attach to bags, trifold or have grommets.

Thanks Clarke for sharing! I have a towel that drags as well and may look into this option.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing this. I carry two towels nd will be trying this on one of them.

Nice job on the towel, looks like it was designed as a tri-fold from the beginning

Never had that problem with mine - got 2 that I use and have done for quite some time without any issues

Back