How Many Clubs Would You Have?

GregDan

#DreamTeam
Reaction score
Handicap
With the Morgan Cup preparations well underway and us northerners awaiting the spring thaw, a lot of people are pondering their bag setup for the 2014 season. What if you didn't have to pick and choose?

What if there was no limit to the amount of clubs you could carry?

Would you still just carry 14? Would you want multiples of a certain club (eg. 2 drivers or 3 FWs, a putter and a chutter)? How many would be too much?

Do you think the pros would like to have more than 14?

Would it even be beneficial to the game or just slow it down even more?

Tell us what you think. This doesn't have to be brand specific, but just a generality.

Id carry like 40.
Have something unique that could only be used for a rare occasion? Throw it in there.
Have drivers for 4 different distances? Throw it in there.
Have wedges in every degree? Absolutely.

I wouldn't change the set up of my bag, I love the versatility of it and I have confidence when I pull a club.

I don't think it would slow the game down that much. The optimal club amount for pros would be however many their caddy could physically carry 18 with and still function.

I'd assume they're thinking would be why have a 5 yard gap between wedges/irons when you could have a 1 yard gap!?

For me I would go to 15. I would add one more wedge and I would be happy.

I really don't think the pros would want more than the 14 but there may some out there that would go nuts.

I think it could be beneficial to the game, but it would take a long while and for everyone who plays golf to get lessons. Since that wouldn't happen, I think the 14 club max is a good rule. The less decisions a golfer has to make, the better.

If I was allowed I'd put tons of clubs in the bag. I'd have high and low launching drivers, irons gapped at 2*, short shafted woods and long shafted woods, hybrids and the equivalent iron, wedges in every degree and I could probably go on. I think I'd still stick with 1 putter though.

Interesting thought process.
Honestly I couldnt imagine having more than 14.
I dont think pros would carry more than 14
I dont think it would be beneficial because most have problems choosing clubs now.
I think Jman could help as he always has over the limit! :)

honestly i only carry 13 as is, though i think i may add the 14th this season. Maybe it's because i walk alot...or maybe it's because i'm just a bad golfer :(

I would add back in a couple of wedges. I have a set of 5 SCOR's (won at True Blue), but usually only carry two because of the need at the other end of the bag. I'd love to add them and maybe another hybrid.

I think the pros would add several "specialty" type clubs if they could. I can't see how that would slow the game down; might even speed it up by eliminating those "between clubs" decisions.

I would guess 16-18 clubs. I would add my 3 iron, an extra hybrid, and another wedge, just to cover more situations.

Id have a bunch.

At least 2 drivers, at least 2 3-woods, maybe a 5 wood, and a 7 wood
Probably 2 Hybrids

4-PW
AW, SW, LW, 64* for kicks.
Multiple putters, in case Im not feeling one a certain day throughout the round, or maybe for an adjustment during the round due to course conditions

I would leave my bag as is because I walk and carry so wouldn't want it any heavier. If I rode or used a push cart, I would likely throw in a couple of extra putters, an extra driver, a real high lofted wedge and would pack both my 7 wood and 4 hybrid.

Maybe an extra wedge, but I couldn't see myself carrying much more. I suck with the few that I do carry. Why add to the frustration?

I wouldn't add anything, too many options would do more harm than good for me.

So maybe another question can stem from this conversation.

Would having more than 14 clubs make the game too easy? Would there be any challenge left if you always had a club for every shot?

I could see myself having like around 30 clubs, some specialty, multiple putters and drivers. Chippers and the like for specific short game shots, you could have like 11 wedges with one of every degree from 50-60!

Would having more than 14 clubs make the game too easy? Would there be any challenge left if you always had a club for every shot?

Two sides to that coin. Having every shot specifically assign to a club might be helpful but you'd still have to have a solid swing.
If you have a solid swing with good fundamentals why would you need more than 14 clubs?

I'd have a lot of clubs. I'd be a wedge hoarder in the worst way. Of game every lofted degree I could find.

Two sides to that coin. Having every shot specifically assign to a club might be helpful but you'd still have to have a solid swing.
If you have a solid swing with good fundamentals why would you need more than 14 clubs?

That's why I wanted to start this thread. Is golf so hard you need more than 14 clubs? Or do we just make it that way because we don't have the time and resources to make the game easier by getting lessons and practicing?

easier perhaps, but not "easy" imo, still wont do you any good if you cant hit all 40 of them

I'm carrying 13 now so highly doubt I would go over 14.

Especially with my 14 way divider. :)

easier perhaps, but not "easy" imo, still wont do you any good if you cant hit all 40 of them

Then why carry 40 clubs you can't hit? Maybe you should take up figure skating if you can't hit 1 out of 40 good enough.

That's why I wanted to start this thread. Is golf so hard you need more than 14 clubs? Or do we just make it that way because we don't have the time and resources to make the game easier by getting lessons and practicing?

Dont get me wrong, golf is one of the hardest sports ive ever played. The challenges in thr mental side and physical side combined is downright insanity at time.
I personally feel that most golfers spend far too much on equipment vs lesson. Some dont like lessons and prefer to practice. Okay, but are you practicing to get better or just pounding golf balls?
My opinion, you could have a trailor pulled behind the golf cart filled with the newest and shiniest clubs ever made. If the golfer doesnt know how to properly hit 1 one of those clubs then 200 more wont make a difference.
For those that have good fundamentals, adding a club or two ( maybe one at the top and a wedge) may be a little helpful, but would change alot of spects about thier game.

Half the time I've got two bags strapped on my cart already, so I'd probably carry at least 30+ clubs.
Hitting new and/or different clubs is fun and I play golf for fun, so that would be my reasoning. I have no problem with the 14 club rule for tournaments and such, but I don't get overly concerned with the rules of golf when I'm just out to enjoy a pretty day on the course.

Back