Do you play to a yardage?

I don't play to a yardage unless it's a deliberate layup. Otherwise I'm bombing it down there to give me the shortest club possible!

I try to play to a variety of yardages it depends on how long the hole is. I just want to be hitting a solid full shot into the green. On some par 5 I will go with my 2 hybrid off the tee and again to the green I will hit the same club. If I can't reach it in two I will lay up to an area that gives me a good angle and a full shot into the green. Usually I break the distance in half so I can use the same club and have positive thoughts hitting into the green. So if I'm 260 out I will hit a pw 130 then hit it again.

And how effective are you from this distance. Are you making birdies? How many greens to average a tound from this distance?

QUOTE]

There are 3 par 4s and 2 par 5s on my course where I always play for the 80 - 100 yard approach. I typically average 1 - 1.5 birdies on these holes per round. I'm sure it is by design that the greens on these holes can be very challenging in regards to hole locations (most anywhere on the 3 par 4s and back or left on the par 5s) to the point where anything outside of 3 or 4 feet is going to be uphill, downhill and / or have a fairly significant break. Also difficult to stop the ball around some hole locations without a perfect shot.

When I'm scoring "well", I am almost always playing to get to the 140 to 160 yardage. That includes hitting a 3 wood off the tee where there is little trouble with a driver.

100 to 130 for me I am really comfortable with. So usually try to play into that distance. But the goal is always GIR!

More often than not, par 4 I'm trying to hit it as far as I can in play. That might not be driver but same thing. Definitely leads to some awkward yardages and I'd probably be better served to give it some extra thought. That said it has forced to work on my wedges a bit more to be able to do something in those situations.

Par 5, if I need anything more than a hybrid on my second shot, I'm laying up to yardage that I'm comfortable with.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I go back and forth. It seems that when I try to play to the number I screw up and am further away then what I wanted.

If I can be at 75 yards or less on a par 5 I am in good shape. 75-100 is still ok, but I'd rather be closer.

I only play to a number on short par 4's.

I try to get as close as possible within a range. That range is 110-150 because I'm very comfortable anywhere within that range.

I dislike the 1 number philosophy as it can force a shot that's unneeded.

For par 5's, I usually hit a hybo off the tee as I know I can't reach it if 470 or longer. Play the numbers game, hit the green, and give the birdie putt a roll.
Interesting strategy, Cookie.

I rarely (read: never) go for it in 2 on a Par 5. I might switch it up a bit and go hybo or fw off the next few Par 5s I face.

I like that idea.

Now, I just need a hybrid.

My only issue on that is with a bad tee shot you are way the heck back there.

Yeah I love when playing smart bites you in the a $$

I'm not a long ball hitter so I know I can't reach a par 5 in 2. So I will try to get it to around the 80-100yd range. As for par 4's, I've read a lot of people in this thread that will hit a 3w to their desired distance and go from there. I currently do not have a 3w or a 5w in my bag so I would probably take a driver to as far as I could get it and then hopefully a short iron in from there.

I play to a yardage on par 5s I don't have a chance to reach, par 4s I don't

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Very true.

Typical Par 5 for me is a Driver, 7i, PW. Im good with that.

I never play to a yardage. I always just try to get as close to the green as I can to be honest.

I don't have the distance to go for Par 5's in two so I'm usually trying to get myself in the 80 to 120 yards. If I do catch a good drive on a par 5 and get within 3 wood range, I'll likely play to 80 yards.

For most Par 4s, it's driver to get the shortest shot into the green. If it's a short par 4 with danger or really, really tight, I'll play to a distance. But if I can't get to 150 teeing off with a "safer" club, then I'll hit driver regardless.

I will be looking at this come spring, normally I just swing the club I'm comfortable with off the tee. Usually close enough to be in the mid and lower irons if executed correctly. Playing to a number is on the list, never dine it before.

I would say on par 4's and par 5's I am not looking for specific distances, I am looking to getting the furthest out there. I have always had issue's off the tee's so that's why i want to get it all the way out there. But if the hole has a close dog leg left or right, or water I will start worrying about distance and try to make sure I hit it to the correct distance.

That's exactly what I said earlier. And it happens a lot when I try to play safe off the tee.

Only play to a number in a couple of situations: layups on par 5's, and short par 4's to try to avoid the 50-70 yard range.

I always do on short par 4's and lay ups on par 5's, has been huge for me.

I don't hit it far enough or consistent enough to play to a number outside of par five's. I want to be at 120 or 90 because I don't reach par five's in two. I hit driver on every par four unless there is some type of hazard or dogleg in the way.

I try to avoid laying up inside 100 yards, unless I'm pretty sure I can reach the green. Otherwise, I just try to put the ball between 100 and 150.

Unless I need to lay up, it's whatever gets me closest to the hole.

Depending on the pin locations I do.

Back