TaylorMade SpeedBlade Irons Review Thread

How good are they?

This good;

If they are an option for the MC.. they will be in my bag over the new Tour Preferred line. Just offered me everything I need in an iron set.

I love it dude. They are that good....so much so that I need them back in my hands.

Text incoming Jman. :)

I like a little heavier shaft, would a KBS Tour V shaft be to low of a shaft spin for the SpeedBlade.

Not necessarily, but I think you have some other options out there you can look at too. C-Taper Lite is one that comes to mind.

Picked up a 4 iron on Ebay last night for $69.00 to compare with my current club. When I tested the SB at Dicks, The LM showed I was swinging 92 to 94 MPH with 7 iron. With a carry average of 180 yards. It also showed I was slicing every shot which I almost never do. I was curious if it maybe the lite 85g shaft.

I also tried a Mizuno JPX EZ 6 iron and was getting similar numbers. 89 to 92 MPH with a carry of 179 average. Which is my carry distance of my Mizuno JPX 825s that I game now with DG 300s 130g shaft that I was fitted with.

Hitting a 7 iron 180 yards has me intrigued. Are these numbers realistic with my swing speed? Those of you who have similar speeds are you seeing similar carry distances on the course? I also had the store clerk let me hit the Awesome Wedge, so he taped it up and I was carrying that 136 yards. Had to move the monitor closer because I was hitting the ball so high it couldn't get any numbers. If true, that would create a huge gap from the AW to my Scor 54* that I hit 105 yards tho.

Hawk, I looked up the C-Taper Lite shafts and that might be a great choice. Now to find a fitting center that is close. So far the closest I have found is about 100 miles away. When I get my 4 iron I will see if I get more than 210 yards with it. My 4 iron now is 195+. So I may be able to drop my 910 hybred and fill in gap between the AW and the 54*

Last edited:
Those are definitely attainable numbers with that swing speed under the right launch conditions.

Definitely look at the CTL's if you get a chance. I wouldn't be surprised to see 210+ out of the 4 iron for you. The longer irons are very long for the big swingers.

Those are definitely attainable numbers with that swing speed under the right launch conditions.

Definitely look at the CTL's if you get a chance. I wouldn't be surprised to see 210+ out of the 4 iron for you. The longer irons are very long for the big swingers.

This 4i was beast like for me maaaaaany times off the tee. I considered adding it in replacing the CB 4i for a time.

On Monday I hit two SB 4irons that went 215 -225 and held greens after only about 15 feet of roll out. I can see what Jman is talking about. I can see guys only wanting to buy SB 3 and 4 irons, but then you'll have a big gap around 200.

I'm having to adjust to my low end gap between 100 and 135. Having to hit more finesse AW's and PW's to cover that spread. I'll get there.

Sand shots are great though. I hit one FW bunker on a par 5 that had a deep lip and normally I woulda spooned it out with a PW. This time I thought, "I can hoist a SB 7 iron over that lip and advance the ball." I did and blessed these clubs superior ball height. I also like the stock wedges (SW and LW) more than I thought I would. I may keep them.

I am still getting high face clanks though. I have to be real careful on shots in the rough not to dig in. DO NOT tee your irons high off a tee! If I use a tee, I have to push it down almost flush with the turf, otherwise CLANK. I've come to believe that SB's have a radically different sweetspot than normal clubs, as this graphic represents.
attachment.php

attachment.php
What have you experienced?

Attachments

• sb sweetspot.jpg
    sb sweetspot.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I love my SB 3 and 4 irons. But I don't see the huge distance loss with higher-on-the-face hits. Some loss, definitely, but not taking it down to 60%. Last time out I hit one pure from the deck on a long par 4. Went 210 and held the green. Same round, had one of those clankers higher on the face (off a tee) and it went about 185. Sounded like crap but still flew straight and only left me a bit short of where I was laying up to anyway.

edit: this was my 1000th post :D

I love my SB 3 and 4 irons. But I don't see the huge distance loss with higher-on-the-face hits. Some loss, definitely, but not taking it down to 60%. Last time out I hit one pure from the deck on a long par 4. Went 210 and held the green. Same round, had one of those clankers higher on the face (off a tee) and it went about 185. Sounded like crap but still flew straight and only left me a bit short of where I was laying up to anyway.

edit: this was my 1000th post :D

So you'd put the distance loss at more like 10 to 15%, but we both agree that the "clankers" are dramatic, horrible-sounding, bad-feeling, ugly dead ducks. The ball flight of these dead ducks isn't too off-line (Agreed?), but they sound awful and they go nowhere. I had a par 3 at 170 that I tried to hit an easy 7. First one was teed too high -- CLANK -- limped into a bunker about 100 yards away. Went straight, but nowhere. Second attempt wasn't hit perfectly flush, but pin high.

Don't get me wrong. I'll live with the clanks. I view them as teaching feedback. So yesterday I went to the range to figure it out. I was standing a little too close to the ball. I scootched it away a tic and BOOM -- hit one soaring eagle after another.

Off a fairway or fairway bunker I have no fear and don't even think about them. Off a tee, I have to tee it down. Out of the rough, I have to choke up or pick. I can live with that.

i definitely agree on the teaching feedback part. It might be that I'm not catching it quite as high on the face. I've never teed my irons up very high anyway. I usually grab a broken tee from the ground and use that. So what I'm thinking of as a high on the face hit might not actually be all that high.

I used the ol' Dr. Scholl's spray at the range to find my clanks. They were about in the positions of my arrows on the graphic.

I think you have only 6 grooves to work with on the SB's. Get it in those 6 grooves and you're gravy. Any higher than that and CLANK. You feel and hear it immediately. A groove 7 clank might cost you only 10%, I agree. A groove 8 or 9 clank is brutal.

If you can't eliminate the clanks, you'll find that the SB's have high dispersion because you'll have 8 screamers that are close to each other but 2 outlying very short clanks. If you do eliminate the clanks, the SB's are very tightly grouped.

It's just with the SB's I seem to hit only two types of shots, screamers or clanks, with no gradiant between the two like with normal clubs. Normal clubs have 20% screamer, 20% really bad shots and 60% somewhere sliding between the two. SB's are 80% screamers that drop your jaw and 20% clanks that cause you to go "What just happened?"

Another thing I noticed: I have to be careful on shots when my feet are much lower than the ball. The extreme high launch of the SB's will cause a well struck shot of this type to BALLOON short and left more than with traditional clubs. On these shots I find I have to take one higher club than I'd like, choke up, swing easy to avoid the balloons. Have you noticed this?

heh well I can't say that I have... but I might not be the best judge of that situation, if I'm honest. I don't play many links type courses, so if the ball is above my feet by much it's usually not on the fairway. When I'm faced with a shot like that I know I don't strike them all that well so I'm looking for a "best achievable scenario" type of shot. I tend to add a couple clubs and swing 50% or less for the low running punch-type option if I can, or go for the layup short but back into the flattest part of the fairway. Neither of those is going to have a chance to really balloon up like you describe.

In that same vein though, I've found that the speedblades are pretty awesome when I do need a low punch with lots of rollout. the face generates a lot of ball speed without much effort, so I can focus my energy on hitting the perfect "escape" line. I've hit some pretty tight gaps with really easy swings that have saved me some serious strokes. I credit the speedblades with saving my butt in those situations, for sure.

Recently hit a friend's Speedblade irons, liked the result and am considering upgrading my R11's. I did notice his irons didn't have the blue caps on the grips, but are otherwise identical to the stock grips with the blue caps. He said he bought them online. Are there counterfeit Speedblades out there?? Or do any of you guys have irons without the blue cap on the grip??

I'm sure there are a bunch of fakes out there unfortunately. Sorry, can't help on the grip variances.

Recently hit a friend's Speedblade irons, liked the result and am considering upgrading my R11's. I did notice his irons didn't have the blue caps on the grips, but are otherwise identical to the stock grips with the blue caps. He said he bought them online. Are there counterfeit Speedblades out there?? Or do any of you guys have irons without the blue cap on the grip??
I regripped mine, does that make them fake?

I understand your concern, but there has to be more of a deciding factor than the grips are different.

Mine were ordered via Nevada Bob's with custom shafts and do not have the blue caps on the grips.

I regripped mine, does that make them fake?

I understand your concern, but there has to be more of a deciding factor than the grips are different.
I was just curious because that was the first thing that struck me, because the blue caps are pretty distinctive. And I'd think that stock is stock, unless there are variances that Taylormade has introduced to the stock set up?

Also looking for things to be on the look out for when getting them, which hopefully will be soon with my tax break due soon :)

I was just curious because that was the first thing that struck me, because the blue caps are pretty distinctive. And I'd think that stock is stock, unless there are variances that Taylormade has introduced to the stock set up?

Also looking for things to be on the look out for when getting them, which hopefully will be soon with my tax break due soon :)

Shoot TM a line or a call dude, let them know what you're concerned about. Its a valid concern IMO given how imitated TM clubs are out there, can't hurt to ask.

There are fakes out there, so look for the serial # on the Hosel on all the clubs and register them with TM. If the number doesn't match there registration, they will let you know. My SB did come with the blue cap grips.

So I did some major iron demoing today at Golfsmith on the monitor and was blown away by these. I will be doing a combo set with the Speedblades and TM Tour Preferred CB's for my bag this year. I will be bagging the 5-7 Speedblades (and maybe the 8) and can't wait. The long irons were the easiest long irons I've ever hit. I brought my R11 iron and did some head to head with a bunch of others (Apex, Apex Pro, CB's and X2 Hot Pro) and the Speedblades were a good club longer than any other. Even on mishits the Speedblades were going slightly further than many of the other irons. The best swing of the whole day came with the Apex when I absolutely put a perfect swing and caught it flush and it still wound up 3 yards short of the Speedblades average distances. I couldn't be more impressed with how well these irons perform. My miss is usually low or toward the heel and these were much more forgiving then my current R11's or any other I tested.

Really wishing I won one of the 10,000 Speedblade 6 irons now, would of saved me some money haha. If any THPer who won one the 6 irons doesn't want theirs send me a PM, I'll gladly take it :alien:.

'stan' I'll send you mine when it comes.

Really? I'm definitely going to owe you a drink the next time we're at the same event!

Yup. I'll pm you when it comes to get your address

That's really awesome of you! Save me one less club I need to pick up. I wasn't sure about these irons until today but was blown away by them. That 6 iron promo may be a real good idea for them because I think a lot of people are going to come away very impressed with these.

I bought 8 pulled Speedblade grips online once and they are hard to find. Very very few ebay auctions for them. You can find the pulled shafts easier than just the grips alone. I believe they are made by Lamkin and they haven't yet released blue SB grips for the aftermarket. The green RBZ and yellow Rbladez grips are very similar though. Maybe he has one of those. And the TMag website has about 20 grip options, including a good half dozen for grips made by GP, LK and others that say Taylormade on them, but aren't the blue caps. Could easily be one of those. Hard to tell without seeing. I'd doubt they are counterfeits, though.

Some folks have complained about a "slick" feeling with the natural hand. I think that hand oils cause this and I find them to be fantastic in a glove and when wet. I love the reminder ribs. I plan on buying more and playing the stock grip. But if I had to switch, I'd pick something from Lamkin with a rib.

Back